• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2018 5:15 pm
Tags:
Jul 19, 2007
819 posts
126 upvotes
Always a lot of talking but not much doing.

Sums up most of Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9316 posts
3367 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
choclover wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 12:34 pm
This is probably correct. Also, people seem to want to do AirBnB and UBER instead of working so I guess jobs are no longer the way to go when there are more lazy ways to turn a dime.
That will probably end once the government forces the 'sharing' economy to actually pay taxes, licenses, and insurance on the 'sharing'.
Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32103 posts
8363 upvotes
GTHA
Bank of Canada expected to raise interest rates by 0.25%

Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46788 posts
12762 upvotes
Hmmm, it seems US yields are going to start rising anyway and most OECD nations will have to follow to remain competitive, why help drive the rates up prematurely? :) I think BoC will stand pat on the 17th. :)

Bill Gross says bond bear market ‘confirmed’ amid Treasurys selloff
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bill- ... 2018-01-09

China is reportedly thinking of halting US Treasury purchases and that's worrying markets right now
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/10/china-i ... hases.html
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4177 posts
1272 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 7:04 pm
That will probably end once the government forces the 'sharing' economy to actually pay taxes, licenses, and insurance on the 'sharing'.
I am 100% in support of that. I don't see why taxpayers including those that pay ICBC's wages have to pay for the extra costs and risks involved with people running AirBnb's and UBER's while these "business owners" get all the profits. It is not really a free market until the people running these businesses bear the full cost and responsibility of running such businesses.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4177 posts
1272 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 11:19 am
Hmmm, it seems US yields are going to start rising anyway and most OECD nations will have to follow to remain competitive, why help drive the rates up prematurely? :) I think BoC will stand pat on the 17th. :)

Bill Gross says bond bear market ‘confirmed’ amid Treasurys selloff
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bill- ... 2018-01-09

China is reportedly thinking of halting US Treasury purchases and that's worrying markets right now
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/10/china-i ... hases.html
Curious to see what Poloz does as this would be the first REAL hike he does if he actually goes through with it. I believe the other hikes he did were just reversals of the drops he previously did due to "emergency measures". I wonder if he has what it takes to raise the rates on his own.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
6797 posts
3900 upvotes
Im actually curious to know if they count things like Uber, Justdelivery, etc into their jobs number...if they do this is all #fakenews and they best not even try to raise rates here.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46788 posts
12762 upvotes
choclover wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 1:05 pm
Curious to see what Poloz does as this would be the first REAL hike he does if he actually goes through with it. I believe the other hikes he did were just reversals of the drops he previously did due to "emergency measures". I wonder if he has what it takes to raise the rates on his own.
Media keeps mentioning the possible demise of NAFTA. That's probably the mother lode so it would be interesting if BoC will disappoint market soothsayers.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5695 posts
1290 upvotes
Mississauga
Looking forward to increased interest rates. Canada definitely needs it.
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2007
5000 posts
2110 upvotes
Sources tell trump is expected to pull the plug on nafta now..liberals are now actually preparing for it (not good) poloz might pause.. $ took a dive today on that
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
6797 posts
3900 upvotes
Jungle wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 5:27 pm
Sources tell trump is expected to pull the plug on nafta now..liberals are now actually preparing for it (not good) poloz might pause.. $ took a dive today on that
But you were so sure!! RATS!
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2007
5000 posts
2110 upvotes
Sanyo wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 11:23 pm
But you were so sure!! RATS!
We'll see what POLOZ does next week. Could be a scare/bully tactic by TRUMP for negotiation power.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5162 posts
1773 upvotes
Kingston, ON
choclover wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 12:34 pm
This is probably correct. Also, people seem to want to do AirBnB and UBER instead of working so I guess jobs are no longer the way to go when there are more lazy ways to turn a dime.
Isn't the "gig economy" more often extra income on top of a regular job of some sort? Pretty sure you'd make more full-time at a Tim Horton's in Cobourg than driving UBER full-time.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4177 posts
1272 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 4:37 pm
Media keeps mentioning the possible demise of NAFTA. That's probably the mother lode so it would be interesting if BoC will disappoint market soothsayers.
Our media is so biased that if they are mentioning the "possible" demise it is probably a no-go but the politicians want it come out gently and in a way that looks like they tried. I have very little faith in the people leading our country right now. I don't think they are the type of people who even verify their purchases at the grocery store so I can't expect much when we're talking big dollars and impact to Canadian jobs. Just keep getting in other countries hair and "saving the world".
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
5086 posts
4709 upvotes
Toronto
choclover wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:22 am
Our media is so biased that if they are mentioning the "possible" demise it is probably a no-go but the politicians want it come out gently and in a way that looks like they tried. I have very little faith in the people leading our country right now. I don't think they are the type of people who even verify their purchases at the grocery store so I can't expect much when we're talking big dollars and impact to Canadian jobs. Just keep getting in other countries hair and "saving the world".
Economy and jobs are booming and you're worried about current leadership? Cons slash taxes and going all in on oil was the biggest fail of recent history. Diversifying and investing in tech and green energy has led to a boom in Ontario.