• Nov 13th, 2017 3:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 10, 2011
313 posts
66 upvotes
GTA

Raw Dog Food

Anyone have any recommendations for good places to buy raw dog food in the GTA? I live in Richmond Hill, Ontario.
I am considering making the switch from kibble to raw.
16 replies
Feb 7, 2012
218 posts
724 upvotes
Toronto
Naturaw.ca - great guys who are genuinely passionate about their product and helping the transition to raw
they used to deliver, not sure if they do now, my pup has since passed but i was a loyal customer for a long time
Mar 7, 2007
11 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
I mostly order from Big Country Raw, they deliver to Richmond Hill once a week. I've also ordered from Chicken On the Run few times but find BCR more consistent in quality even though it's a bit more expensive.
Jul 10, 2008
52 posts
10 upvotes
Local grocery store? That's where I get mine. It's a lot cheaper to buy whatever is on sale there then a brand of raw food. I give my 2 golden retrievers turkey drumsticks as a grocery store sells them for $3.49/kg (I'm not in the GTA, though), and that has served them well.
Penalty Box
Nov 1, 2001
1514 posts
58 upvotes
hipfan1 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 2:13 am
Local grocery store? That's where I get mine. It's a lot cheaper to buy whatever is on sale there then a brand of raw food. I give my 2 golden retrievers turkey drumsticks as a grocery store sells them for $3.49/kg (I'm not in the GTA, though), and that has served them well.
I hope that's not all you feed them.
A balanced raw diet should have 80% protein from 3 different sources.
10% bone.
5% liver and 5% other secreting organ such as kidney.
Jul 10, 2008
52 posts
10 upvotes
Kaz wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 3:29 pm
10% bone.
I also rotate liver, kidney, and heart to give them the vitamins they need.
Penalty Box
Nov 1, 2001
1514 posts
58 upvotes
hipfan1 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:16 pm
I also rotate liver, kidney, and heart to give them the vitamins they need.
Heart is muscle.
I feed mine a mix of pork, beef, chicken and duck as their protein source with beef liver and kidney for organs.
I leave the bones in the chicken and duck.
If I can buy everything on sale I'm around $2 to $2.50 per pound.
Jul 7, 2005
444 posts
71 upvotes
What are the consequences of not feeding organs on a frequent basis dictated by the raw community?

I am genuinely curious on canine symptoms from vitamin deficiencies being fed a raw diet lacking/infrequent organs.
I've tried googling and haven't found anything on the repercussions, only that you must do 5% organs...some sites were basing this on if a dog (in the wild) would be chowing down on the whole carcass, what if there were multiple dogs going to town on a chicken, that ratio would drastically decrease, what if it was a larger animal now they're getting too much!! lol

Anyways, like hipfan1 I just go to the grocery store and buy her a whole chicken then portion from that, sometimes she gets beef/pork ribs....most times her bone:protein ratio is equal, she'll pay for it via constipation, but on the bright side I don't have to worry about expressing anal glands ever! lol

Heart contains more goodies than the average muscle.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2427 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
Kaz wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 3:29 pm
10% bone.
Protein from 3 different sources?
Yeah, that's false information.
I've never heard that one before.

As an example, my one Doberman only eats chicken.
Sometimes eggs but 99% diet is chicken, because it's the only protein he can process properly. It's also the only protein I can get reliably where I live. So it works to my advantage!

Severe gastric upset often sets the protein(s) given in a raw diet.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2011
313 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
MrsPotato wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 1:00 pm
Protein from 3 different sources?
Yeah, that's false information.
I've never heard that one before.

As an example, my one Doberman only eats chicken.
Sometimes eggs but 99% diet is chicken, because it's the only protein he can process properly. It's also the only protein I can get reliably where I live. So it works to my advantage!

Severe gastric upset often sets the protein(s) given in a raw diet.
That is a beautiful Doberman! My favourite bred by far. My wife just wasn't ready for it as it is her first dog but I hope one day I can have another.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2011
313 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
By the way I tried a few pre-packaged brands and I am currently using Big Country Raw. I like that all the meat is hormone and anti-biotic free. I also include raw chicken necks and raw eggs to her meals. I also add Kefir once a day.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2011
313 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
I found a place called Canada Raw in Markham that is also pretty good.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2427 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
mfiguei wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 1:08 pm
By the way I tried a few pre-packaged brands and I am currently using Big Country Raw. I like that all the meat is hormone and anti-biotic free. I also include raw chicken necks and raw eggs to her meals. I also add Kefir once a day.
When I was in Toronto, I bought BCR -- I took advantage of their big tubs and delivery :)
It's so easy, and adding some goodies in the mix is a bonus for the dogs; great with the kefir and eggs :)