• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2017 8:51 pm
Tags:
Jul 10, 2008
52 posts
10 upvotes
I've based my diet off of the "Raw Meaty Bones" book by Australian Vet Tom Lonsdale. Here's a link to his site, if anyone is interested http://www.rawmeatybones.com/. He has two books, "Raw Meaty Bones", which outlines his journey to becoming an advocate for raw food (and gives instruction on how to do it), and "Works Wonders", which is a smaller book that just deals with the practicalities of feeding a raw food diet. I highly recommend both books, but if you are just looking for some guidance on how to move to a raw diet, "Works Wonders" will help you out.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1684 posts
76 upvotes
MrsPotato wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 1:00 pm
Protein from 3 different sources?
Yeah, that's false information.
I've never heard that one before.

As an example, my one Doberman only eats chicken.
Sometimes eggs but 99% diet is chicken, because it's the only protein he can process properly. It's also the only protein I can get reliably where I live. So it works to my advantage!

Severe gastric upset often sets the protein(s) given in a raw diet.
Check out the raw feeding community on Facebook if you have a chance.
Allergies can definitely affect what is fed although usually it's chicken they are allergic to.
Aug 18, 2009
892 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
I've read that it is difficult to properly address the nutritional needs of puppies on a pure raw diet. True/False?

Because of this, I was considering feeding my pup with kibble (orijen/acana) for the first 12 mths and then switching to raw. Thoughts?
[OP]
Jan 10, 2011
363 posts
69 upvotes
GTA
VertigoM wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 4:22 pm
I've read that it is difficult to properly address the nutritional needs of puppies on a pure raw diet. True/False?

Because of this, I was considering feeding my pup with kibble (orijen/acana) for the first 12 mths and then switching to raw. Thoughts?
We are feeding our puppy raw. We used a premade blend that has the proper percentages to ensure a balanced meal. We have tried a few brands and we seem to prefer Mega Dog.
Aug 18, 2009
892 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
mfiguei wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 1:34 pm
We are feeding our puppy raw. We used a premade blend that has the proper percentages to ensure a balanced meal. We have tried a few brands and we seem to prefer Mega Dog.
Thanks, I'll look into Mega Dog.

In terms of cost, is it roughly the same as feeding a high end kibble?
[OP]
Jan 10, 2011
363 posts
69 upvotes
GTA
I think it depends on the size of the dog. The mega dog chicken we buy is $2.37/lb and she eats about 0.5lb/day
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
2085 posts
282 upvotes
Waterlooo
kenchau wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 9:39 pm
Roughly how much does Tollden Farms food cost?
From memory, about $60 for a large frozen bag from the local pet place (paws).