Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH

Ray Emery drowns in Lake Ontario

Former NHL Goalie Ray Emery drowns in Lake Ontario
Hamilton police say former NHL goalie Ray Emery has drowned in Lake Ontario.

Inspector Marty Schulenberg says Emery's death does not appear to be suspicious, calling it a "case of misadventure."

Emery, 35, played for several teams throughout a career spanning more than a decade, including the Ottawa Senators, Chicago Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers.

He won the William M. Jennings trophy — and the Stanley Cup — with the Blackhawks in 2013.
Was a huge Emery fan when I lived in Ottawa, the 2006-2007 season I saw most home games as well as my first playoff games and Stanley Cup finals in person. He was the stuff of urban legends, you'd see an Esclade doing something stupid in traffic and blame it on Emery (for anyone that doesn't remember he had a bit of a road rage issue.) For his faults he was a local hero to charities and hospitals.

35 years it too young, I feel sad, old and will be hugging my kids a little tighter tonight. Condolences to his family and fans.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
7019 posts
1546 upvotes
Mississauga
That's awful news, condolences to his friends and family.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
RIP Ray
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Jul 14, 2018
23 posts
22 upvotes
BC
Who down vote's a death??? Sad.

Read it was a dare to swim underwater from one dock to another. Never resurfaced. Silly way for a life to end.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
tanesachs wrote: Who down vote's a death??? Sad.

Read it was a dare to swim underwater from one dock to another. Never resurfaced. Silly way for a life to end.
Who upvotes someone dying?
Jul 14, 2018
23 posts
22 upvotes
BC
ConsoleWatcher wrote: Who upvotes someone dying?
People with fond memories of someone who's life was cut short needlessly?
Non Cynical individual ?
The opposite of Soyboi's?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
So sad

He was a tough cookie with lots of issues
But a hell of a hockey player for the Sens during their 2006-07 season and run for the Cup

35 is way too young (I got kids that age)

Lord may all his troubles be behind him
And may he Rest In Peace

My heart goes out to his family, and all who knew him personally
Mar 19, 2007
309 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
he was a character alright
one who was arrested for beating up his fiancee
Karma?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
^ That's a pretty classless comment, should have kept it to yourself. People change, this was a LONG time ago. You forget that a lot of sport athletes have history's of beating the piss out of their women or kill their pets and people still love them and continue cheering for them. Beating up or hitting someone doesn't mean that they should die. You're an ass.

RIP Ray. 2013 Stanley Cup Champ
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Mar 19, 2007
309 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
ok maybe the karma part was going too far...I'm not saying he should have died...but you're wrong about "LONG time ago"

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ ... ex-fiancee Arrested last year for multiple beatings between July and Sept 2016

I don't give a crap if you're best in the world at any sport - what kind of a person assaults a woman? Any woman?? You guys want to just remember his on-ice antics...fine. Wonder what Keshia Chanté remembers...
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
ottawarc wrote: ok maybe the karma part was going too far...I'm not saying he should have died...but you're wrong about "LONG time ago"

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ ... ex-fiancee Arrested last year for multiple beatings between July and Sept 2016

I don't give a crap if you're best in the world at any sport - what kind of a person assaults a woman? Any woman?? You guys want to just remember his on-ice antics...fine. Wonder what Keshia Chanté remembers...
Right from your story:
We're told Chante -- a singer and former host of BET's "106 & Park" -- had initially gone to authorities seeking a restraining order against Emery, claiming he had abused her several times from July '16 to Sept. '16.

Sources say Chante presented what she believed to be "hard proof" -- and cops determined there was enough evidence to warrant an arrest for assault.
So no, it wasn't last year, it was the year before and there wasn't physical abuse. Assault with a weapon... his hands? Do you want to see a list of people assaulting others? Why does it have to only be against women that you find it so unacceptable. It is only physical assault that's the issue? There's verbal, mental, etc...

You have some personal issues with Emery, but it's ok, I'm sure he got what he deserved according to you.

Also, he wasn't charged.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Re - Emery Demons

Hard to know what goes thru the minds of the abuser & the abused
Often these are highly charged & emotional relationships
Sometimes 2 people clearly not good for each other stay together... fo4 whatever reason
Staying vs Leaving is not always a clear cut case
Or if it was, fewer people being abused would be at risk

To say the least... it’s complicated

Clearly Keshia Chante was drawn to him... and clearly they had a strong connection
And they definitely knew there were Deamons involved

From Keisha’s own instagram
Canadian pop singer Keshia Chante pushed out a heart-felt tribute to former Ottawa Senators goalkeeper Ray Emery on Monday.

Chante, who grew up in Ottawa and dated Emery from June 2010 through to 2017, called off a wedding to the National Hockey League player after allegations of domestic abuse.

On Monday, she took to Instagram and shared a picture of the two of them during happier times and expressed her disbelief at the netminder’s death.

“My heart is heavy. i (sic) am at a loss. distraught (sic). obliterated (sic),” she posted to the social media service. “The love of my life, best friend, the man i was going to marry. U (sic) loved me with every fibre of ur (sic) being even though it overwhelmed me at times. U (sic) took care of me, protected me. So incredibly passionate, loving & affectionate. My cuddle bear.”

In her post, Chante called Emery “hilarious”, “entertaining”, “giving” and charismatic. She said the 35-year-old wasn’t afraid to live life to its fullest and called him a “superhero” for overcoming potentially career ending surgery to his hip. Chante said her seven-year relationship with Emery provided “incredible adventures” and “memories” that she would hold onto forever.

She even seemed to express regret to ending her relationship with Emery in 2017.

“U (sic) had demons u (sic) were fighting, ones that u (sic) felt u (sic) were too invincible to confront the way I wanted u (sic) to. God, I wish u (sic) would have, I wish I didn’t need to walk away,” she wrote. “Sometimes we fought but we fought for each other more than anything. Thick & thin. U (sic) taught me so much.”

Chante finished her social media tribute by stating that she was grateful to have known Emery and she said it was an honour to be engaged to him.

“It was an honor (sic) that u (sic) asked me to marry u (sic). We were inseparable, attached, a bond so rare,” she wrote. “My heart is completely broken. Big Fella, I love u (sic) always.”
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-ne ... -ray-emery
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26213 posts
39754 upvotes
Toronto
Toronto firefighter got to talking with me after rendering assistance at last week's Wolfpack game (I had an ear bud tip get stuck in my ear). Told me his Hamilton buddies noted that Emery jumped in with his goalie pads on.

If true this indicates that Emery was either drunk or on drugs. No wonder he drowned so quickly. With soaked pads you'd sink like a stone...
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24667 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
sprung wrote: Toronto firefighter got to talking with me after rendering assistance at last week's Wolfpack game (I had an ear bud tip get stuck in my ear). Told me his Hamilton buddies noted that Emery jumped in with his goalie pads on.

If true this indicates that Emery was either drunk or on drugs. No wonder he drowned so quickly. With soaked pads you'd sink like a stone...
yikes......if that is true, pretty messed up. Yeah, either really drunk or really high or combo of both to do that....
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
sprung wrote: Toronto firefighter got to talking with me after rendering assistance at last week's Wolfpack game (I had an ear bud tip get stuck in my ear). Told me his Hamilton buddies noted that Emery jumped in with his goalie pads on.

He went swimming off a boat before 6 am. I wonder why he would have his goalie pads with him on a boat?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
koffey wrote: ^ That's a pretty classless comment, should have kept it to yourself. People change, this was a LONG time ago. You forget that a lot of sport athletes have history's of beating the piss out of their women or kill their pets and people still love them and continue cheering for them. Beating up or hitting someone doesn't mean that they should die. You're an ass.

RIP Ray. 2013 Stanley Cup Champ
I'm guessing you don't have any daughters or know someone that got "beaten the piss out of"?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
greg123 wrote: I'm guessing you don't have any daughters or know someone that got "beaten the piss out of"?
:facepalm:

Do you? We're they "beaten the piss out of"? Did the assailant deserve to die?

Not sure if you're trolling or dumb or both.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)