Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
RBC

20% More Value with RBC Financial Rewards

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2020 8:34 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2010
1072 posts
306 upvotes
TotalNutJob wrote: First ever reply on RFD here, been a lurker for years. Go easy on me.

I have had the RBC Visa Infinite Avion card for years. Recently I switched to the Rogers world elite MasterCard to obtain 1.75% cash back on all purchases (4% back on foreign transactions but there is a conversion fee around 2.5% I think) and no annual fee for that card. Haven't tried to apply the cash back to any purchases yet but it appears easy via app or Rogers bank page.

Regarding the avion card: the best value I've seen for the points is 2 cents per point, which is obtained via travel. But you have to book a flight that can maximize the per point value. For example, if you have an international flight for $1300 that could be free if you spend 100,000 points (aside from taxes, etc) then you only get 1.3 cents per point. The 100k of points can buy you a $2000 flight. Better to save the points for that flight from a value perspective.

Regarding the deal: you end up getting 1 cent per point back in some form of cash equivalent reward. Only half of what you would get via travel if you book the right flight.

If you like cash back which can be directly applied to purchases, I reccomend checking out the Rogers world elite card. Combine that with the Costco MC (3% restaurants, 2% gas).

If you just want to use up your points and switch to a better card, go for it. Otherwise, if you have travel plans coming up, better to use the points for flights. Flights within Canada are a great use of these points. I think $750 flight for 35000 pts (2.13 cents per point)

I have 105000 points to use up on my avion (planning to drop the avion card soon but don't want to abandon points) so this offer was tempting. Will thank the OP.
Help me understand how one can get 2 cents per point please....If I have say 50K in points....how would i go about playing my cards right to get the most value by redeeming points to travel to say Asia later this year? Obviously, in comparison to the above offer because right now I am tempted for this....i do find that RBC travel reward prices are slightly inflated (50-100) for the flights I am looking at regardless of time of year....which is why I am considering just taking it out and getting flights elsewhere.
Jun 7, 2010
364 posts
318 upvotes
Toronto
freetrade wrote: Help me understand how one can get 2 cents per point please....If I have say 50K in points....how would i go about playing my cards right to get the most value by redeeming points to travel to say Asia later this year? Obviously, in comparison to the above offer because right now I am tempted for this....i do find that RBC travel reward prices are slightly inflated (50-100) for the flights I am looking at regardless of time of year....which is why I am considering just taking it out and getting flights elsewhere.
Avion used to be a great option and easy to max out the 2% back on flights but airlines, especially AC and Westjet buggered it by splitting out numerous 'fees' that Avion points won't cover. Since it's based on tiers to get max reward usage i.e. 15K = max $300 (same or next province/state), 35k=700 (national/most of US) and on up from there (https://www.rbcrewards.com/#!/travel/redemptionSchedule) - the last few years, it was a rarity that I could even book a flight that would hit 1% when using tiers i.e. price less fees and taxes except for international flights. Taxes, I can see not covering perhaps but fees? That's bs. On top of that, used to be able to roll all rbc rewards points from various cards (US Visa, biz loc visa, etc) into avion but no more of that either.
Jan 18, 2019
8 posts
21 upvotes
freetrade wrote: Help me understand how one can get 2 cents per point please....If I have say 50K in points....how would i go about playing my cards right to get the most value by redeeming points to travel to say Asia later this year? Obviously, in comparison to the above offer because right now I am tempted for this....i do find that RBC travel reward prices are slightly inflated (50-100) for the flights I am looking at regardless of time of year....which is why I am considering just taking it out and getting flights elsewhere.
You have enough points for a north america flight (except Hawaii and Alaska). That runs 35000 points and a ticket cost up to $750 before taxes and fees. Booking a flight that would cost $750 before taxes with the points would net you $750/35000 = 2.14 cents per point.

Similarly, 45000 points can net you a $900 ticket to mexico, carribean, etc. which is 2 cents per point. Google search 'rbc avion travel redemption schedule' for all possibilities.

Suggest doing the following:
1) Use Google flights to find the price tag of your trip.
2) login into RBC rewards and search for that same flight.
3) compare the prices between 1 and 2.
4) if RBC isn't padding the flight price and you can get your roughly 2 cents per point, then that's an efficient use of your points. Book it!

RBC is having this sale to get some point liabilities off their books. So they offload points for 1 cent per point instead of 2ish. When you have billions of points on your books that discount is significant dollars. :-)

If you use RBC avion for cash rewards there are better cards and options out there such as the Rogers world elite MC. Unlike the RBC avion card there is no annual fee as well. And you get 1.75 cents per dollar spent in cash vs max of 2.14 cents per dollar spent which can only be used on flights. I'll take the small hit to get it in cash. I use Costco MC for gas and restaurants, and Rogers MC for everything else (including Costco!).
Aug 10, 2018
12 posts
13 upvotes
Got my LoC voucher in the mail the other day - took it to the teller, who could not apply it to my LoC because of zero balance, and could not deposit in any other account. Asked them to transfer matching amount from LoC to my checking acct - after which the voucher could be applied to LoC.

Great tip! This will be my preferred redemption method going forward.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
themikewoo wrote: I always redeem my points for credit line vouchers. If your credit line has a $0.00 balance, it is cash into whatever account you want FYI
What if I don't have any rbc account, only a visa?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Aug 29, 2012
268 posts
277 upvotes
WINNIPEG
L4cky wrote: What if I don't have any rbc account, only a visa?
Not sure. Maybe give them a call and see what might happen?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
Deal expired. Points backup to standard #.
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Banned
Aug 22, 2019
131 posts
78 upvotes
I went to deposit the cheque today but the teller didn’t seem like he knew what he was doing... just seemed confused.

Am I supposed to see the funds right away in my LoC? He took like 20 mins and then said the cheque will be deposited in one business day.

Can someone pls share their experience? Thanks
Banned
Aug 22, 2019
131 posts
78 upvotes
Mrdutchie wrote: Got my LoC voucher in the mail the other day - took it to the teller, who could not apply it to my LoC because of zero balance, and could not deposit in any other account. Asked them to transfer matching amount from LoC to my checking acct - after which the voucher could be applied to LoC.

Great tip! This will be my preferred redemption method going forward.
Did the teller say it would take 1 business day or was it instant deposit to the LoC? Thx!
Banned
Aug 22, 2019
131 posts
78 upvotes
Mrdutchie wrote: Appeared instant!
Thanks I didn’t even get a receipt when I asked for one. He seemed clueless. I might go back to the branch
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4586 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
arusabalbata wrote: Thanks I didn’t even get a receipt when I asked for one. He seemed clueless. I might go back to the branch
I think he should have given some sort of receipt, no?
Jul 27, 2014
978 posts
944 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I just redeemed 55,000 points for $550 in RBC registered rewards. Need to contribute to RRSP big time this year and this will help a small bit.

They seem to be on sale now (I have RBC Avion Visa Infinite Business).
Apr 5, 2010
214 posts
267 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just got back from the bank. I don't have a credit line and those mofos wouldn't deposit the vouchers anywhere else for me. So now I have to open a credit line, wait two days until the account is activated, go back to the bank and withdraw cash from credit line, deposit it directly into my savings. Then immediately use the vouchers to pay off the credit line. Boo, such a hassle

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)