Expired Hot Deals

[RBC] AVION -1st Year Free + 15,000 Free Points if you have another INFINITE VISA

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2015 2:20 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
41 posts
23 upvotes
Richmond Hill

[RBC] AVION -1st Year Free + 15,000 Free Points if you have another INFINITE VISA

I walked into RBC branch. The teller told me I could apply a RBC AVION VISA if I have another premium VISA card from another bank.
I called RBC VISA card service. Told them I have a TD aeroplan infinite card. They confirmed the offer. It's first year free + 15000 points. I asked them to transfer my RBC gold card to the Avion card. They also transferred all my points to the new account, and they never asked my credit card number.

I haven't received the card yet, but the new card number and the bonus points are on my online banking account.

You can do it in branch or call them. You can apply a new card or transfer your existing RBC card.

15000 Points can get you 22500 BA points when there is a bonus conversion. You only need 4500 points for traveling from Toronto to New York one way and way lower surcharge than aeroplan.
The bonus conversion happened twice a year before.
204 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7250 posts
1707 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm. That's interesting. Everyone who can, should get this while it's free.

The question is, in early next year when many people face renewal time, what other offers will come up, for people to take on. If the CC's don't offer some promotion/specials, a lot of people will cancel and/or switch cards. Even if other cards don't have free waiver, at least they have sign up bonus. So for that reason, many people will not stay with an existing and pay the annual fee, without getting some bonus points.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8283 posts
1185 upvotes
Markham
westssaa wrote:
Feb 6th, 2014 5:45 pm
15k pt enough for what
3000 points can redeem $25 worth of Giftcards IIRC.
6000 points for $50...etc
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jun 10, 2007
206 posts
62 upvotes
Whitehorse
westssaa wrote:
Feb 6th, 2014 5:45 pm
15k pt enough for what
Last I remember, 15,000 Avion points will knock off the first $350 of a short-haul flight (within your province or territory or to an adjacent province/territory) and will not cover taxes.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
5884 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
There's another thread here for a Mastercard with 35,000 points bonus plus sign-up cashback bonus.

Compared to the RBC Infinite it was significantly better for me so I switched after about ten years with RBC.

I suggest you compare to see what is best for you.

The MC gives 2% cashback when applied to travel, plus has all the usual premium perks like car rental insurance, travel insurance, extended warranty, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7250 posts
1707 upvotes
Toronto
Inno wrote:
Feb 6th, 2014 6:18 pm
There's another thread here for a Mastercard with 35,000 points bonus plus sign-up cashback bonus.

Compared to the RBC Infinite it was significantly better for me so I switched after about ten years with RBC.

I suggest you compare to see what is best for you.

The MC gives 2% cashback when applied to travel, plus has all the usual premium perks like car rental insurance, travel insurance, extended warranty, etc.
That card required annual fee. I have a no fee 2% cashback CC. These days, with CC's giving free fee or FYF, and bonus points, it's a no brainer to get those free points.
Dec 30, 2012
771 posts
262 upvotes
Burlington
What a coincidence -- I was just thinking of calling RBC to update my address for a Rewards Gold (which I haven't used in ages) and ask if they have any current promotions for premium cards. This would seem to fit the bill perfectly.

EDIT: I called in and spoke to an agent, who initially told me that there was only the 15,000 bonus points without FYF. I mentioned that someone had told me that you could get the fee waived if you have a premium Visa with another bank, and she quickly adjusted the offer on a Visa Infinite Avion without ever asking me my TD Visa number. I guess I won't have to pay for that Kitchenaid four-slice toaster after all. Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2918 posts
69 upvotes
If they don't ask for the other card number, I mind as well upgrade my Gold to another Infinite Avion. LOL
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7147 posts
810 upvotes
Burnaby
Arrgh wrote:
Feb 6th, 2014 6:36 pm
That card required annual fee. I have a no fee 2% cashback CC. These days, with CC's giving free fee or FYF, and bonus points, it's a no brainer to get those free points.
Capital One Aspire Travel World with annual fee is still very competitive with MBNA Rewards 2% grandfathered with no annual fee

Capital One: $75 GCR + 35k signup points + $120 annual fee + 10k annual bonus + multiple insurances + 2 points per dollar (equal to tiered 2% value) = net benefit of $305 in the first year with a net cost of $20 for every year thereafter
MBNA Rewards upgraded from old card: $100 statement credit + $0 annual fee + no insurances + 2 points per dollar (equal to straight 2% value) = net benefit of $100 first year and zero cost for every year thereafter

Assuming you can suck it up with maximizing the points, the Capital One comes out ahead for the first TEN YEARS because of the much larger signup bonus, not to mention all the insurances like trip cancellation that the MBNA does not have

As for this card, 15k Avion points - they run 50% transfer bonuses to British Airways twice a year (see sig for history), so worth up to 22.5k Avios points. If located in YYZ, good for short hauls to New York for 9k round trip per person on AA with fewer taxes than Aeroplan (should be around $70 per person on AA)
Aug 4, 2005
193 posts
12 upvotes
I got an offer in the mail as being eligible for 15K additional points on top of the signup bonus if spending more than 10K in a year. So a potential of 30K Avion points at the end of year 1.
I haven't checked to see if the additional points would be deposited if I hit the spending limit, say in 6 months.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
41 posts
23 upvotes
Richmond Hill
15000 Points can get you 22500 BA points when there is a bonus conversion. You only need 4500 points for traveling from Toronto to New York one way.
Aug 3, 2006
718 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Seems to be a reactive offer from RBC to compete with TD's Aeroplan VISA Infinite travel card.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7250 posts
1707 upvotes
Toronto
BoogieMan wrote:
Feb 7th, 2014 12:06 am
Seems to be a reactive offer from RBC to compete with TD's Aeroplan VISA Infinite travel card.
and cibc's aeropeso visa infinite card, and cibc's Aventura visa infinite card, and bmo's world elite mc, and Scotia's Amex card, and the various mbna $75-100 rebate and bonus point cards, similarly with Amex cards. Guess what, all those are first year fee free.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
3910 posts
889 upvotes
Yes!! That's why I check RFD Hot Deals every day or every 2nd day. I was just thinking of calling RBC to see if they have any special Infinite Visa promotion.
yazon wrote:
Feb 6th, 2014 5:24 pm
I walked into RBC branch. The teller told me I could apply a RBC AVION VISA if I have another premium VISA card from another bank.
I called RBC VISA card service. Told them I have a TD aeroplan infinite card. They confirmed the offer. It's first year free + 15000 points. I asked them to transfer my RBC gold card to the Avion card. They also transferred all my points to the new account, and they never asked my credit card number.

I haven't received the card yet, but the new card number and the bonus points are on my online banking account.

You can do it in branch or call them. You can apply a new card or transfer your existing RBC card.

15000 Points can get you 22500 BA points when there is a bonus conversion. You only need 4500 points for traveling from Toronto to New York one way and way lower surcharge than aeroplan.