Credit Cards

RBC Avion card Vs. Other Card for Travel?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2018 9:48 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 12, 2015
602 posts
598 upvotes
Alberta
skunkyjosh wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 11:25 pm
The air redemption is not the same from what it shows on the RBC web site, strange...

From your link it's:

On https://www.rbcrewards.com/#!/travel , it's

The short haul value is not the same on both sites... Which one is right?
The first picture is for regular rbc rewards (non-avion) redemption, the second is for avion redemption.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3904 upvotes
BC
2big2fail wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 11:31 pm
The first picture is for regular rbc rewards (non-avion) redemption, the second is for avion redemption.
The first picture is from the prior Avion link.

The second one is right next to a tab that says non-Avion ("other RBC rewards cardholders") travel redemption option is just 1¢ each towards travel with no chart.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Oct 6, 2014
995 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sorry for bumping this thread:

I am new to Avion, and was looking for a ticket from YYZ to HKG

On Aeroplan, I can usually find a ticket for 75,000 points (non-stop, non peak season)

On Avion, it starts from 100,000+.

So it seems like Avion is not as good?
Apr 23, 2017
371 posts
420 upvotes
letmesee wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 1:34 pm
Sorry for bumping this thread:

I am new to Avion, and was looking for a ticket from YYZ to HKG

On Aeroplan, I can usually find a ticket for 75,000 points (non-stop, non peak season)

On Avion, it starts from 100,000+.

So it seems like Avion is not as good?
The Avion over Aeroplan advantage is better availability of seats when you want to travel. Aeroplan can be hard to get the seat you want on the flight you want. If you have no problems getting the flight you want, when you want, to HNG with Aeroplan for 75,000 points, then yes, you are better off with Aeroplan over Avion. Avion Infinite cards give 1 point per $1 spend and 1.25 points per $1 on travel spend. TD Aeroplan Infinite (to give just one example) also gives 1 point per $1 spent, but in bonus categories they give 1.5 miles for groceries, gas, drugstores and travel purchases made on Air Canada's website. Aeroplan gives more opportunity to earn bonus points from flying, hotels, car rentals, online shopping, etc. RBC Avion has some decent online shopping bonus points earning potential as well, but not as much as Aeroplan, imo. Whether Aeroplan will still be good after 2020 is another question.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
2017 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto
Hi I have 25K Avion points and want to book a roundtrip flight to Asia. I know that is not enough points.

Can I buy the flight ticket on any online travel website using my RBC Avion Infinite Visa, then ask RBC to redeem my 25K Avion points against that charge for $250 credit?

Or must I use the RBC Avion's travel online portal to book the flight, to use the 25K and then top-up with cash at a poor conversion rate?
Jun 15, 2015
131 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Elfwood wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 9:14 pm
Hi I have 25K Avion points and want to book a roundtrip flight to Asia. I know that is not enough points.

Can I buy the flight ticket on any online travel website using my RBC Avion Infinite Visa, then ask RBC to redeem my 25K Avion points against that charge for $250 credit?

Or must I use the RBC Avion's travel online portal to book the flight, to use the 25K and then top-up with cash at a poor conversion rate?
You must use RBC avion travel online portal to book the flight and top up the remaining in cash.
Oct 6, 2014
995 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sorry for bumping this thread (started by me a few months ago)

I have been using my Avion card for business and it seems like I have over 100k Avion points now.

I am not planning to use them for flights, as I can get them cheaper from aeroplan.

For hotel stay, I actually never tried before.

Are they better than others out there?

Thanks.
May 8, 2009
4485 posts
1471 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
letmesee wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2018 12:55 pm
Sorry for bumping this thread (started by me a few months ago)

I have been using my Avion card for business and it seems like I have over 100k Avion points now.

I am not planning to use them for flights, as I can get them cheaper from aeroplan.

For hotel stay, I actually never tried before.

Are they better than others out there?

Thanks.
They're better in the sense that they hold 100k pts for you. I don't think they'll price match, bet heck you have the pts to burn. Enjoy.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread