None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2729 posts
955 upvotes
GTA

[Royal Bank] RBC Avion points: 50% bonus when transferring to BA

This has become a bit of an annual thing. However, considering I'm dumping RBC Avion in favour of MBNA SPG, this is perfect timing:

http://www.ba.com/avion50

[quote]Convert your RBC Rewards
25 replies
Apr 23, 2003
233 posts
1 upvote
Good deal, but be careful of this provision - not sure if it means you have to redeem your bonus points by this time, or lose them.

All bonus miles awards made during the promotional period must be claimed by June 30, 2006.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2729 posts
955 upvotes
GTA
YYZer wrote:Good deal, but be careful of this provision - not sure if it means you have to redeem your bonus points by this time, or lose them.

All bonus miles awards made during the promotional period must be claimed by June 30, 2006.
Good catch ! Someone correct me if I'm wrong, this provision did not exist in past years...
Apr 23, 2003
233 posts
1 upvote
flaming homer wrote:This has become a bit of an annual thing. However, considering I'm dumping RBC Avion in favour of MBNA SPG, this is perfect timing:
I was considering the same thing, but decided against it because I've heard bad things about MBNA! Hope it works well for you!
Apr 23, 2003
233 posts
1 upvote
flaming homer wrote:Good catch ! Someone correct me if I'm wrong, this provision did not exist in past years...
No, I don't believe this existed in the past years, which may be a reason why they have put it in this year. I have 150K points waiting to be transferred, but holding off until I can get clarification on this clause.
Mar 5, 2002
211 posts
1 upvote
provision only states that your BA acc has some activites... like buying flowers... hotel room... transferring in points... rent a car... etc, will extend the period.

common among airline reward programs...

and people... the avion now has partnership with cathay asiamiles... who knows... maybe nice promo for them in the comming years... as in the past with AA
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2729 posts
955 upvotes
GTA
YYZer wrote:No, I don't believe this existed in the past years, which may be a reason why they have put it in this year. I have 150K points waiting to be transferred, but holding off until I can get clarification on this clause.
I called RBC (bundling some Esso Extra points for the upcoming bulk transfer), and they know nothing about this. This is strictly a BA thing, and I hate talking to BA on the phone. Will update when I get off my lazy butt and calls BA to confirm this clause.

If I read it correctly, it's the 50% bonus that has to be spent by June 2006, not the "regular" 100%.

WRT MBNA SPG: While their service is not up to par, at $30,000 spending per year it matches the Avion levels, and SPG points is very flexible, you would not be restricted to Oneworld airlines, even does Air Canada (Not that you would want to do transfer points into that sleazy airline...).
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
3418 posts
305 upvotes
Calgary
BA Miles sucks. To fly between "Far East" to "Far East" requires 40,000 miles. For the same destination, AsiaMiles only requires 25,000. On top of that, BA Miles charges more for some crazy taxes and fees.

That's why there are 50% bonus every year, yet it is still not worth to convert.

I wish AsiaMiles has this 50% bonus. That would be awsome deals.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3002 posts
184 upvotes
YYZer wrote:I was considering the same thing, but decided against it because I've heard bad things about MBNA! Hope it works well for you!
i've been with mbna for 5+ years.. still like them.. recently moved my [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] to starwood.. i asked for credit increase and they did it so quickly.. probably because i've been with them for so long
既生瑜,何生亮?

Ebay Feedback
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3002 posts
184 upvotes
EDIT sorry, wrong information
Canada to UK or france is 50000 miles
avion requires 65000

but for china, 120000 miles.., whereas 100000 for avion

* x1.5 premier economy upgrade
* x2 business class
* x3 first class

the companion ticket thing is probably not worth it..
既生瑜,何生亮?

Ebay Feedback
Apr 23, 2003
233 posts
1 upvote
flaming homer wrote:I called RBC (bundling some Esso Extra points for the upcoming bulk transfer), and they know nothing about this. This is strictly a BA thing, and I hate talking to BA on the phone. Will update when I get off my lazy butt and calls BA to confirm this clause.

If I read it correctly, it's the 50% bonus that has to be spent by June 2006, not the "regular" 100%.

WRT MBNA SPG: While their service is not up to par, at $30,000 spending per year it matches the Avion levels, and SPG points is very flexible, you would not be restricted to Oneworld airlines, even does Air Canada (Not that you would want to do transfer points into that sleazy airline...).
Hmmm... thanks. Keep me informed if you hear anything. I have an email into EC, because like you, I hate talking to BA over the phone.

WRT MBNA SPG - I would love to have SPG points and do like that program. I probably would have done it if it was any other outfit than MBNA. I just don't want to me on their mailing list for the rest of my life, and I have also heard experiences of delays/screw ups in transfering bonus points etc. to accounts. Finally, I also hear that they are quite stringent on the due date (ie. if you are one or two days late, they will ding you interest). All conjecture of course, not having dealt with them directly myself. Just prefer dealing with RBC and the flexibility of Avion. In terms of Aeroplan, I use my AMEX Aeroplan Plus card for points to that account, although very limited since the odds of getting a 'Classic' Aeroplan seat these days is comparable to the chances of me winning the 22 million in 649 this weekend. :cheesygri
Jul 7, 2004
97 posts
Another advantage of this link is that it allows you to sign up for BA Executive Club without having traveled a qualifying flight. Normally BA forces you to have flown in the past few months on a Y class flight or better (usually discount fare economy flights are NOT included in this)

But with this link, it lets you sign up without any conditions. So even if you don't transfer any points at this time, you can sign up for Executive Club and save it for later.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3002 posts
184 upvotes
YYZer wrote:Hmmm... thanks. Keep me informed if you hear anything. I have an email into EC, because like you, I hate talking to BA over the phone.

WRT MBNA SPG - I would love to have SPG points and do like that program. I probably would have done it if it was any other outfit than MBNA. I just don't want to me on their mailing list for the rest of my life, and I have also heard experiences of delays/screw ups in transfering bonus points etc. to accounts. Finally, I also hear that they are quite stringent on the due date (ie. if you are one or two days late, they will ding you interest). All conjecture of course, not having dealt with them directly myself. Just prefer dealing with RBC and the flexibility of Avion. In terms of Aeroplan, I use my AMEX Aeroplan Plus card for points to that account, although very limited since the odds of getting a 'Classic' Aeroplan seat these days is comparable to the chances of me winning the 22 million in 649 this weekend. :cheesygri
so far so good with mbna..i'm starting to like smaller banks/credit unions more and more.. SPG is awesome, can't wait to stay at a luxury hotel (usually it's travel lodge or bestwestern for me)

you must be a rich guy to pay annual fees for both avion and amex ;) did you look at the returns chart for the fee credit card I posted??? might change your mind..
既生瑜,何生亮?

Ebay Feedback
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1364 posts
53 upvotes
Does anyone know whats the cost of buy BA points if one is short points.

I will have around 60k and i need around 80k. Do i wait till i accumulate another 20 or can i buy em?

Akaz