Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
833 posts
526 upvotes
Calgary

RBC now supports Samsung Pay

For anyone interested, RBC now supports Samsung Pay. They haven't posted anything on their website yet but the system was enabled the early hours of this morning.

There are no transactions limits on credit with the MST, with the contactless it depends on the terminal.
55 replies
Jul 29, 2017
50 posts
15 upvotes
Are there currently any promotions for Samsung Pay?
Dec 20, 2017
486 posts
555 upvotes
Wow that was totally unexpected. Thanks OP, didn't think RBC would ever support Google Pay, let alone Samsung Pay.

Though I must say the card art looks quite off... :( Did they really have to put the text in both English and French?
20180417_091813.jpg
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2839 posts
362 upvotes
Wow! They don't even support Android Pay.

I recently switched from TD to AmEx for Samsung Pay and I love it!

And since my credit card was my only reason to even get the $5,000 all inclusive bank account, I'm going to move my banking somewhere else. I need a backup card for when AmEx isn't supported (I was a little embarrassed when a friend had to pay for me at a coffee shop recently), and was thinking between CIBC/Scotia but I guess I can now consider RBC too.

I was considering a no-fee credit card but if I transfer my banking out of TD and to another bank, then I can probably get a better card for free at Scotia/CIBC/RBC.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
4363 posts
2128 upvotes
komal wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 3:08 pm
Wow! They don't even support Android Pay.

I recently switched from TD to AmEx for Samsung Pay and I love it!

And since my credit card was my only reason to even get the $5,000 all inclusive bank account, I'm going to move my banking somewhere else. I need a backup card for when AmEx isn't supported (I was a little embarrassed when a friend had to pay for me at a coffee shop recently), and was thinking between CIBC/Scotia but I guess I can now consider RBC too.

I was considering a no-fee credit card but if I transfer my banking out of TD and to another bank, then I can probably get a better card for free at Scotia/CIBC/RBC.

If it's just a backup card, no need to set up banking just to get a card.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1550 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
Man when is Tangerine and TD gonna get onboard with android/samsung pay.

I used Apple Pay on my iphone and it's honestly one of my favorite features. Now that I'm on the S9+ I hate having to carry my wallet with me when I need lunch or coffee. And no I do not want to use the mobile wallet feature on the TD app. I used it once and had a bad experience and now I just don't trust it.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2839 posts
362 upvotes
mech9t5 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 3:15 pm

If it's just a backup card, no need to set up banking just to get a card.
But now I have no reason to stay with TD either, so I may as well switch and get a decent credit card for free.

TD devalued their infinite visa too many times and I finally cleared out all of my points this year.

The only thing I'll keep there for now is my brokerage account.
gqbluez wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 5:38 pm

I used Apple Pay on my iphone and it's honestly one of my favorite features. Now that I'm on the S9+ I hate having to carry my wallet with me when I need lunch or coffee. And no I do not want to use the mobile wallet feature on the TD app. I used it once and had a bad experience and now I just don't trust it.
I also had a bad experience with the TD app, hate that feeling and didn't want to risk it again
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
4498 posts
2099 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
gqbluez wrote:

Also waiting for MBNA, Rogers, Capital One...
Dec 8, 2014
32 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gqbluez wrote:

According to this article Tangerine and Peoples Card Services are the next.
Samsung pay ...
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2839 posts
362 upvotes
MoneyHypeMike wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 6:25 pm
Also waiting for MBNA, Rogers, Capital One...
MBNA Canada is owned by TD, so that won't be happening
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
833 posts
526 upvotes
Calgary
Zdr354 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 6:32 pm
According to this article Tangerine and Peoples Card Services are the next.
Samsung pay ...
They've supposedly been coming since Amex, Scotia and ATB were enabled. It looks like it's taken them so long that RBC managed to start talking with Samsung and launch Samsung Pay in the time Tangerine and Peoples card services have been 'working on implementing Samsung Pay'.
Feb 6, 2018
865 posts
593 upvotes
Scotiabank Amex Cards are now available to add too. I tried it before but they only had Visa at that time.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1031 posts
515 upvotes
terracotta92 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 9:47 pm
Scotiabank Amex Cards are now available to add too. I tried it before but they only had Visa at that time.
They've been available for some time, at least a month or more. I was using it when the $20 Amazon GC promo was around.
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
833 posts
526 upvotes
Calgary
terracotta92 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 9:47 pm
Yeah, you've been able to add Scotia Amex cards for at least 6 weeks but they only updated their website within the last 1 or 2 weeks.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2839 posts
362 upvotes
The really pathetic thing is that the 2 holdout banks, TD and BMO, both support Samsung Pay in the US.

Just pathetic.