Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
4523 posts
2248 upvotes
komal wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 12:08 am
The really pathetic thing is that the 2 holdout banks, TD and BMO, both support Samsung Pay in the US.

Just pathetic.
I wouldn't lump TD in with bmo. At least BMO is on G Pay
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2840 posts
362 upvotes
I think with BMO, it is almost desperation though, they don't have a choice.

TD had the capability to develop their own wallet and they released it over a year ago.

BMO on the other hand, is the most technologically backwards of the Big 5 banks and it would have probably taken them 2-3 years to develop something similar. I say this as a BMO employee. The BMO app still doesn't have mobile cheque deposit, a feature that TD launched like 4 years ago.

So this way they avoided doing what they normally do, lag several years behind all the other banks.

CIBC on the other hand, seems to rush to market with new technology which makes me think I should bank over there.
Dec 7, 2014
64 posts
18 upvotes
sports1 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 10:15 pm
They've been available for some time, at least a month or more. I was using it when the $20 Amazon GC promo was around.
I've added the Scotia Amex to Samsung Pay but it hasn't worked once for me, using a GS8+, every time I tap on the readers it says tap not accepted.. I've tried removing/adding the card to SP already. Anything I am doing wrong?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1188 posts
631 upvotes
Happy2012 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 10:41 am
I've added the Scotia Amex to Samsung Pay but it hasn't worked once for me, using a GS8+, every time I tap on the readers it says tap not accepted.. I've tried removing/adding the card to SP already. Anything I am doing wrong?
It was hit or miss for me at a lot of terminals, I'm uncertain why. I called Scotia about 2 particular transactions one day, they told me one was declined due to incorrect PIN (?? how is that possible with mobile payments), and one due to "no secure connection with terminal" which could be as a result of a bad data/wifi connection, and to try again after waiting a minute.

Try using MST, I've had luck with it at Walmart (it should work on almost any terminal with a mag stripe though) and Sobeys. Hold the back of your phone to the mag stripe for about 3 seconds and it should go through.

Tap worked fairly consistently at most McDs I've been to.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1642 posts
1138 upvotes
Guelph, ON
komal wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 10:28 am
I think with BMO, it is almost desperation though, they don't have a choice.

TD had the capability to develop their own wallet and they released it over a year ago.

BMO on the other hand, is the most technologically backwards of the Big 5 banks and it would have probably taken them 2-3 years to develop something similar. I say this as a BMO employee. The BMO app still doesn't have mobile cheque deposit, a feature that TD launched like 4 years ago.

So this way they avoided doing what they normally do, lag several years behind all the other banks.

CIBC on the other hand, seems to rush to market with new technology which makes me think I should bank over there.
Yep it's sad how slow BMO is to adopt new tech, even the credit unions adopt new features (like mobile apps, mobile cheque deposit) way before BMO ever does.
I like credit unions.
Member with DUCA Credit Union. Accounts with Tangerine, BMO, and EQ Bank.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1642 posts
1138 upvotes
Guelph, ON
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 10:30 am
For anyone interested, RBC now supports Samsung Pay. They haven't posted anything on their website yet but the system was enabled the early hours of this morning.

There are no transactions limits on credit with the MST, with the contactless it depends on the terminal.
Now I'm waiting for Google Pay support. Also why won't Tangerine support Google Pay?! Scotiabank does and from the limited experience I had with them they are much more behind technologically.
I like credit unions.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2840 posts
362 upvotes
Happy2012 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 10:41 am
Not every place that takes AmEx accepts AmEx tap, Sobeys for example, does not allow you to tap.

If you're going to pay via MST and use the fake credit card swipe feature, you need to hold the phone differently.

Look at the tutorial in Samsung Pay.

It took me many tries to figure it out.
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
860 posts
535 upvotes
Calgary
jacnel wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 11:07 am
Now I'm waiting for Google Pay support. Also why won't Tangerine support Google Pay?! Scotiabank does and from the limited experience I had with them they are much more behind technologically.
Some banks are wary about Google Pay as it's privacy agreement allows them to use all of your purchase data, whereas Samsung and Apple Pay don't use data.
Dec 7, 2014
64 posts
18 upvotes
komal wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 11:33 am
Not every place that takes AmEx accepts AmEx tap, Sobeys for example, does not allow you to tap.

If you're going to pay via MST and use the fake credit card swipe feature, you need to hold the phone differently.

Look at the tutorial in Samsung Pay.

It took me many tries to figure it out.
Thanks, I figured it would be something like that..guess I am holding it wrong, I will try to use the "MST" way next time.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1642 posts
1138 upvotes
Guelph, ON
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 11:34 am
Some banks are wary about Google Pay as it's privacy agreement allows them to use all of your purchase data, whereas Samsung and Apple Pay don't use data.
Ah I see, but hey that's google for you.
I like credit unions.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1605 posts
745 upvotes
Kanada
Come one people, just switch to iPhone Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
Apr 17, 2018
1 posts
SnoopDop wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 2:01 pm
Come one people, just switch to iPhone Smiling Face With Sunglasses
You do not have MST with iPhone so you can't really pay at Walmart, which is a bummer for me.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
1328 posts
115 upvotes
..Samsung Pay finally include RBC..

updated my app last nite.. tried to add my RBC Visa.. but it complained that the institution is not supported..

anyone have the same issue our anyone able to add the RBC card on?? or just selected Tye of RBC credit card s allowed?? my app is the latest one.. the app even did RBC supported...
thx
Mar 25, 2015
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Weird, mine passes through steps, but SMS to verify never arrives.