RBC now supports Samsung Pay

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2018 11:14 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 20, 2017
486 posts
555 upvotes
Added two of my RBC CC's, no problems. One's Visa, other is MC. I have the text auto detect the verification code both times.
Jan 2, 2009
135 posts
31 upvotes
Ontario
Zdr354 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 6:32 pm
According to this article Tangerine and Peoples Card Services are the next.
Samsung pay ...
Tangerine and Amex were listed as "coming soon" when Android/Google Pay was first launched! Yet, we still have no idea when Tangerine support will come and Amex already joined Google Pay long ago! I wonder what's holding them back for so long.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
1297 posts
107 upvotes
called Samsung Pay.. look like EVERY RBC credit cards work.. only selected type for now

also.. RBC seems so uninterested with Samsung Pay.. likely they still prefer to push their own app more.

first of all, there is NO trace of Samsung Pay on RBC site at all.. you do a search .. only couple links about Samsung phone and it all related with RBC own apps

I called RBC and ask.. the technical support.. first words was RBC is not part of Samsung Pay.. i said.. what? then he just changed..any issue with Samsung Pay, you have to call Samsung.. he didn't even try to verify what kind of RBC card i have and whether it is on Samsung list of not

i have to call Samsung.. then they give me the list of RBC cards that current supported..

RBC has truely no interest in promoting Samsung pay
Dec 8, 2014
32 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
softech wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 11:36 am
also.. RBC seems so uninterested with Samsung Pay.. likely they still prefer to push their own app more.

first of all, there is NO trace of Samsung Pay on RBC site at all.. you do a search .. only couple links about Samsung phone and it all related with RBC own apps
RBC has truely no interest in promoting Samsung pay
There is a trace for Samsung Pay on the RBC site,its just buried very deep under RBC wallet stuff.
Samsung Pay

But you are right,there are not promoting it at all...
Apr 6, 2008
90 posts
45 upvotes
Vancouver
Unfortunately a lot of the restaurants I frequent only use chip and PIN rendering all contactless payments useless.
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
831 posts
524 upvotes
Calgary
j3welz wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 5:06 pm
Unfortunately a lot of the restaurants I frequent only use chip and PIN rendering all contactless payments useless.
Samsung Pay works both using contactless and magnetic secure transmission (basically it works with any credit card terminals that has a magnetic stripe reader, which is basically any terminal).
Apr 6, 2008
90 posts
45 upvotes
Vancouver
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 5:26 pm
Samsung Pay works both using contactless and magnetic secure transmission (basically it works with any credit card terminals that has a magnetic stripe reader, which is basically any terminal).
Yes, but if swipe doesn't work, how would Samsung Pay work? The readers do have a swipe area...but when I try swiping an actual physical card it says to insert instead.
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
831 posts
524 upvotes
Calgary
j3welz wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 5:30 pm
Yes, but if swipe doesn't work, how would Samsung Pay work? The readers do have a swipe area...but when I try swiping an actual physical card it says to insert instead.
That's because on the magnetic stripe data on your credit card it tells the terminal your card has a chip. The service code on the magstripe says 1. if the card can be used internationally, 2. if the card can work without a connection to the bank and 3. does it require a pin on swiped transactions. If you swipe a non-chip card (or Samsung Pay in this case), it'll go through just fine as the data tells the terminal the card doesn't have a chip.
Apr 6, 2008
90 posts
45 upvotes
Vancouver
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 5:36 pm
That's because on the magnetic stripe data on your credit card it tells the terminal your card has a chip. The service code on the magstripe says 1. if the card can be used internationally, 2. if the card can work without a connection to the bank and 3. does it require a pin on swiped transactions. If you swipe a non-chip card (or Samsung Pay in this case), it'll go through just fine as the data tells the terminal the card doesn't have a chip.
Thanks, that makes sense. Will give it another try. I do have Samsung Pay connected to my Amex and it didn't seem to work in the past, but could be I was using it incorrectly (only tried a couple times before I gave up).
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
831 posts
524 upvotes
Calgary
j3welz wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 5:43 pm
Thanks, that makes sense. Will give it another try. I do have Samsung Pay connected to my Amex and it didn't seem to work in the past, but could be I was using it incorrectly (only tried a couple times before I gave up).
Unfortunately with Amex it can awkward if the terminal has contactless but doesn't support it for Amex. As it'll try and use the contactless if it detects it instead of the MST. The best way to avoid this is to hold the phone horizontally having the top of the phone on the right of the magstripe reader and have the back of the phone placed on top of the middle of the card swiper (that way it won't pick up the contactless).

The same is required for terminals that don't support tap on mobile wallet purchases for over 100$ on all card types. Most Moneris and Chase terminals do support above 100$, whereas the rest don't seem to yet.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
4357 posts
2124 upvotes
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 5:47 pm
Unfortunately with Amex it can awkward if the terminal has contactless but doesn't support it for Amex. As it'll try and use the contactless if it detects it instead of the MST. The best way to avoid this is to hold the phone horizontally having the top of the phone on the right of the magstripe reader and have the back of the phone placed on top of the middle of the card swiper (that way it won't pick up the contactless).

The same is required for terminals that don't support tap on mobile wallet purchases for over 100$ on all card types. Most Moneris and Chase terminals do support above 100$, whereas the rest don't seem to yet.
I have an S7 and Samsung pay but never used mst.
Just wondering, if you turn off NFC is mst still enabled?
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
831 posts
524 upvotes
Calgary
mech9t5 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 5:52 pm
Yep but you have to turn it off after you've started the transaction as it'll go on automatically. I do this by putting the NFC on/off at the top of my quick bar, then I can just start the transaction, pull down my quick bar and turn off NFC.
Mar 21, 2008
225 posts
36 upvotes
Winnipeg
mech9t5 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 5:52 pm
I leave NFC off on my S9+ and Samsung Pay works perfect. Even did MST payment at Home Depot the other day. After the transaction it's still off.
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
831 posts
524 upvotes
Calgary
chuckp wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 6:43 pm
I leave NFC off on my S9+ and Samsung Pay works perfect. Even did MST payment at Home Depot the other day. After the transaction it's still off.
Samsung Pay turns on NFC when using Samsung Pay and then turns it off again when you end the transaction.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18527 posts
3164 upvotes
GTA West
So I have a Thailand model Samsung phone, but I was still able to load my RBC credit card into it.
But the e-mail notices coming from Samsung are all in Thai. Astonished Face
Actually the offers and loyalty cards offered are also Thai. So funny.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?