• Jun 10th, 2018 11:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
Has anyone tried Samsung Pay at Petro Canada? Normally you get $0.03/L discount for using an RBC card. Does this still apply for Samsung Pay?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
860 posts
534 upvotes
Calgary
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2018 4:05 pm
Has anyone tried Samsung Pay at Petro Canada? Normally you get $0.03/L discount for using an RBC card. Does this still apply for Samsung Pay?
It does, you need to wait at least 2 working days though for the token to be registered with Petro Canada though. It's also worth pointing out that some pumps won't support Visa from a mobile wallet (as it doesn't support the older style contactless tech) and you can't use the MST on those type of readers. If your RBC card is a MasterCard it won't be an issue. Visa will obviously still work inside though.
Dec 20, 2017
526 posts
616 upvotes
It seems Samsung Pay Canada can be enrolled in Samsung rewards? I'm not sure how, but I drove past a 7-11 in downtown I think and Samsung Pay pushed a rewards notification. I clicked it and it opened up Samsung Pay in app with the below screenshot after enrolling.

The Samsung rewards site says it's only eligible for USA, but I made a transaction yesterday and it credited it as one transaction when I login to check.

This is with a Canadian purchased note 8.

I wonder if this means you could eventually redeem for the $200 USD SAMSUNG Pay Visa?

BTW, I can't seem to access that same page through the app again :/
Screenshot_20180429-211825_Samsung Pay.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
4523 posts
2248 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2018 4:05 pm
I've tried at the pump with RBC wallet and Samsung pay at a couple stations. It doesn't work.
Jul 8, 2014
104 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just saw an article about Samsung Pay offering Cashback for purchases made in selected retailers (probably will be US stores only)

Tangerine needs to hurry up with their Samsung Pay implementation...
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
860 posts
534 upvotes
Calgary
mech9t5 wrote:
May 4th, 2018 6:10 am
I've tried at the pump with RBC wallet and Samsung pay at a couple stations. It doesn't work.
As I mentioned above. Mobile wallets in Canada on Visa won't work at Petro Canada pumps as the devices only support the newer type of EMV contactless technology (basically the same tech as the chip on the card, whereas the older contactless tech is just a wireless version of a magnetic stripe). An RBC MasterCard on a mobile wallet (or most Amex cards) should work fine though (MSD contactless support is optional though, so it's possible RBC have turned it off on their MasterCards as well but unlikely).
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
4523 posts
2248 upvotes
CanadianSpruce wrote:
May 4th, 2018 8:05 pm
As I mentioned above. Mobile wallets in Canada on Visa won't work at Petro Canada pumps as the devices only support the newer type of EMV contactless technology (basically the same tech as the chip on the card, whereas the older contactless tech is just a wireless version of a magnetic stripe). An RBC MasterCard on a mobile wallet (or most Amex cards) should work fine though (MSD contactless support is optional though, so it's possible RBC have turned it off on their MasterCards as well but unlikely).
I am using WestJet world elite MASTERCARD. Does not work at the pump for at least 3 stations I tried.
Dec 20, 2016
129 posts
21 upvotes
Any one tried their RBC business cards? Couldn't get my Dad's RBC business cashback master card to register with S-Pay. Said its not yet supported.
Dec 20, 2017
526 posts
616 upvotes
NewToRfd wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 2:38 pm
Any one tried their RBC business cards? Couldn't get my Dad's RBC business cashback master card to register with S-Pay. Said its not yet supported.
RBC Banner only mentions Samsung Pay support with Personal cards.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1642 posts
1136 upvotes
Guelph, ON
SiuMai wrote:
May 4th, 2018 12:59 pm
Just saw an article about Samsung Pay offering Cashback for purchases made in selected retailers (probably will be US stores only)

Tangerine needs to hurry up with their Samsung Pay implementation...
Not just Samsung Pay, tangerine needs to hurry up with all the android payment networks.
I like credit unions.
Member with DUCA Credit Union. Accounts with Tangerine, BMO, and EQ Bank.