None
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2143 posts
1401 upvotes
Edmonton

RBC Platinum Avion VISA

Need all your input on what to do.

I recently purchased a house and went for a mortgage with RBC. Its a Homeline plan. Upon doing so, I would need to open a RBC account to make payments. I opened the very basic Day to Day Savings. Just need an account for payments only. I bank with PC Financial.

Upon opening this account, I was "Pre-Approved" instantly for a credit card. The Platinum Avion VISA with a $3K limit. This card meant, they didn't have to do any credit check to verify anything. I can get it instantly, I'm assuming it has to do with my mortgage and what plan I'm on etc. I politely declined the offer.

A few weeks later, I was in another city visiting family and went to RBC to inquire about accounts and this credit card and if I get it, what benefits yada yada. I told the bank rep, that at this time I'll think about it and if I do go ahead I'll give you a call.

Fast forward to today, I open my online banking and notice there is a VISA credit card somehow opened. I call RBC, and they tell me, the last person who I spoke with in the bank, instead of hitting decline, hit approved for the credit card. So now I have the credit card. I called RBC and bitched and complained, they said sorry and that they would waive the $120 fee for the first year. If I didn't like it, I can cancel anytime. I told them only way I'll keep the card is if they waive the $120 fee and upgrade me to the Infinite Avion, they couldn't due to fact my pre-approval was only for $3K. I wanted to get Infinite Avion so that I could upgrade and get the RBC VIP Banking Package, that waives the annual fee of the credit card and lowers costs on the banking package.

Also to mention, this credit card, from what they said, will not show up on my credit file as they never had to do a credit check when I got approved for this card so if I cancel, it will not show up on the credit file? Is this true?

Is it worth keeping this card?Or cancelling?Thoughts. I haven't called the lady who approved my card yet, will call her to complain and see what she can offer to amend this issue since its a big violation.
4 replies
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
According to the RBC website, if you have VIP banking they'd waive the fee on either Avion card. Still, it's not good you got the card without wanting but, thought you should know.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2143 posts
1401 upvotes
Edmonton
^^^ Didn't actually realize that. Thanks for the post!

Yeah not good on their part, and technically illegal, but I have the power in this situation.

I'm more worried if I do decide to cancel, it won't show up or reflect my perfect credit history.

Forgot to mention, I currently have MBNA Smart Cash World (primary card, put everything on it), AMX True Earnings (only used at Costco and restaurants) and Capital One Gold MC (currently in sock drawer)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2143 posts
1401 upvotes
Edmonton
I ended up getting the RBC Signature No Limit Banking package and they would only waive the monthly fee for 6 months. And they are waiving the Visa fee for 1 year.
Apr 1, 2010
289 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
When is the visa annual fee going to be charged next year? RBC runs their annual promo in the summer, switch to VIP and get 15k pts, subject to certain conditions. If you are eligible for the multi product rebate on the account then switch to VIP on the last day of the promo (end of aug), keep the acct until the visa fee is waived (hopefully that's after you receive the bonus pts), then switch out to the No Limit acct (not signature no limit). Ive done this for a few yrs. Since they effed up maybe they'll be nice and waive the entire VIP monthly fee for 6 months.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)