• Mar 18th, 2016 10:45 am
[OP]
Aug 29, 2013
721 posts
391 upvotes
Waterloo

RBC Rewards Bose Solo 5 Sound System 32,200 points

Hey Folks,

I am in the market for a sound bar for my Samsung Smart tv...I am also in the process of getting rid of my Visa rewards card with just over 35,000 points on it...Was looking at the rewards page to see what to order and was thinking of just getting a $250 BB card for 35,000 points...Came across this Bose Solo 5 Sound Bar for only 32,200 points (equivalent of $230)...Amazon currently has the Bose on sale for $255.98 + $17 shipping + HST (total of $308)...BB currently has it on for $279.99 + HST (total of $316)...

Not much I am going to do with the little bit of leftover points that I have if I were to order the Bose so for all intents and purposes, I would be foregoing a $250 gift card if I ordered the Bose straight from RBC...Do you RFD'ers think I am better off with having to choose from a Sound bar from BB with a $250 gift card or would the Bose be a better buy? I am all for not spending all of the $250 on a sound bar if there is a good/cheaper alternative. I am a pretty devout Samsung fan and would prefer having a Samsung sound bar. That being said, from the very little that I know about sound systems, Bose is a pretty well-known and trusted brand (I did jump on the Bose Soundlink Mini deal just before xmas and was impressed with the sq from such a small unit).

It would appear as though most sound bars are paired with the sub woofer's which I'm not entirely sure I would use (would not fit/work with my current tv set-up)...I have been periodically searching out sound bar deals for the past few weeks and have not seen any really great deals popping-up...Are sound bars something that do not generally go on "super sale" often?

Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10325 posts
1585 upvotes
Toronto
glfrboy wrote: Hey Folks,

I am in the market for a sound bar for my Samsung Smart tv...I am also in the process of getting rid of my Visa rewards card with just over 35,000 points on it...Was looking at the rewards page to see what to order and was thinking of just getting a $250 BB card for 35,000 points...Came across this Bose Solo 5 Sound Bar for only 32,200 points (equivalent of $230)...Amazon currently has the Bose on sale for $255.98 + $17 shipping + HST (total of $308)...BB currently has it on for $279.99 + HST (total of $316)...

Not much I am going to do with the little bit of leftover points that I have if I were to order the Bose so for all intents and purposes, I would be foregoing a $250 gift card if I ordered the Bose straight from RBC...Do you RFD'ers think I am better off with having to choose from a Sound bar from BB with a $250 gift card or would the Bose be a better buy? I am all for not spending all of the $250 on a sound bar if there is a good/cheaper alternative. I am a pretty devout Samsung fan and would prefer having a Samsung sound bar. That being said, from the very little that I know about sound systems, Bose is a pretty well-known and trusted brand (I did jump on the Bose Soundlink Mini deal just before xmas and was impressed with the sq from such a small unit).

It would appear as though most sound bars are paired with the sub woofer's which I'm not entirely sure I would use (would not fit/work with my current tv set-up)...I have been periodically searching out sound bar deals for the past few weeks and have not seen any really great deals popping-up...Are sound bars something that do not generally go on "super sale" often?

Thanks!
It's cool to hate Bose so your gonna get a lot of haters in here.

Best option is to go and listen to them at bestbuy, it'll obviously not be the same as in your setup but will give you an idea...
[OP]
Aug 29, 2013
721 posts
391 upvotes
Waterloo
XtremeModder wrote: It's cool to hate Bose so your gonna get a lot of haters in here.

Best option is to go and listen to them at bestbuy, it'll obviously not be the same as in your setup but will give you an idea...
Thanks, that is some really 'sound' advice :)

I had a look at the review posted by JAC (and a couple of others) and it seems that the Bose is an underperformer. Although, I'm surprised to hear that there are a lot of Bose haters out there...I thought the Soundlink mini deal from RBC rewards was really well received here...

I guess I will just grab the BB GC and wait for something decent to pop up!

Thanks!