RBC Starbucks Card

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2009 11:54 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1456 posts
158 upvotes

RBC Starbucks Card

Hi, anyone think the Starbucks 1% card is worth it? This will be a secondary or thirdary card for me. I got the RBC Gold Rewards and now that I read what it gives you... it stinks.
43 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
81 upvotes
The Starbucks card is a million times better than the crappy RBC Rewards Gold. If you go to Starbucks anyways, the 1% cashback is a great deal, and if you use auto-reload on the Starbucks Card, you get 3% cashback which means even if you just use it at Starbucks you get 3% cashback. You also get $25 free.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1456 posts
158 upvotes
Thanks TNG - think the switch is pretty obvious. Not like I go to Starbucks all the time, but I do enjoy going there for a drink once in a while. That Visa Gold is really crappy, when i first read it for some reason I read $1 = 1 point therefore 12,000 points = gift card about .8 rewards cash back... but its $2 = 1 point or about .4 rewards cash back. Ewww.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
I have the same RBC Rewards Gold, I'm thinking of switching but haven't called in yet. I wonder if we can still get the $25 Starbucks cash, I've just used the card very little and so I have not redeemed any RBC points.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
81 upvotes
Hairball wrote: I have the same RBC Rewards Gold, I'm thinking of switching but haven't called in yet. I wonder if we can still get the $25 Starbucks cash, I've just used the card very little and so I have not redeemed any RBC points.
You will get the $25 Starbucks cash. I had a student Classic II for a month and called them to switch it over. I thought I wasn't going to get the money, but a few days after I activated the card there was $25 in the Starbucks Card account. They will also give you 30 days from the product switch to redeem something with your rewards points.

If you remotely buy anything at Starbucks this card is a good deal just for the free $25.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
81 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: well too bad its only 2 free hours wifi per day. If it's unliited wifi i m getting one for sure. Doesnt help that I HATTEEEEEEEEEE rbc to hell as well.
You sit at Starbucks for more than 2 hours a day? :confused: Doesn't help the fact that the Visa DOESN'T work for for free wifi FFS.

I get around that by having 10 registered Starbucks cards that all have $0 balances. 20 hours a day isn't unlimited though. :cry:
Mar 23, 2004
47726 posts
13898 upvotes
Markham
tng11 wrote: You sit at Starbucks for more than 2 hours a day? :confused: Doesn't help the fact that the Visa DOESN'T work for for free wifi FFS.

I get around that by having 10 registered Starbucks cards that all have $0 balances. 20 hours a day isn't unlimited though. :cry:
well if i study for my pt courses exam there, and thats a "BIG IF", then i probably will :)
Banned
Jul 4, 2008
1434 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
angel_wing0 wrote: well if i study for my pt courses exam there, and thats a "BIG IF", then i probably will :)
i never understood how people can study at places like starbucks, timmy's, or waves?

it's soo effing loud and noisey? even with head phones... why not just go to a library?

also, I have the RBC starbucks card.
It's my secondary card, i think it's a good deal. the $25 welcome bonus is great and you also get some bonus gifts randomly in the mail from starbucks. a $5 card here and there or a free drink coupon.
Sep 19, 2005
273 posts
32 upvotes
Interesting...I never got such gifts in the mail. Maybe it's because my balance is always 0.
chris103610 wrote: also, I have the RBC starbucks card.
It's my secondary card, i think it's a good deal. the $25 welcome bonus is great and you also get some bonus gifts randomly in the mail from starbucks. a $5 card here and there or a free drink coupon.
Oct 18, 2006
422 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
One thing I like about the Duetto card vs. other rewards is that you are able to use the rewards right away. Your prepaid card is updated with the rewards at every statement and you can use apply the rewards even if it's not sufficient to cover the entire purchase. Other reward cards I have have a waiting period (e.g. a cheque once a year), or you need to accumulate a certain amount before redeeming.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2007
3639 posts
755 upvotes
Burnaby
I love my Starby's Visa. The month of August, I earned $42 in Duetto dollars ( had bought a house, and put all my moving/reno expenses on it). When you register your card at their website, you also receive free refills, syrops, and soy milk. It's my best rewards card, and I use up all my free Starby's dollars every month.

Plus, it's the new chip card.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
2057 posts
479 upvotes
Burlington
If you get it don't forget to register the rewards card #. This will give you free flavour shots and I believe free refrills on brewed coffee. (Not sure what else.)
(This goes for any of their cards - be sure to register them to get discounts on some items.)

Angel_wing - Can you have multiple registered cards from starbucks to get more free wifi? I have 1 that I use. But if I needed a bunch of wifi why not have 2 or 3 with very little on them to get more wifi time?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
2057 posts
479 upvotes
Burlington
How do you get 3% back?

I have a GM Visa for my visa card which I don't really use. (Stick with my PCMC.) Was thinking of getting one of these instead.
Mar 23, 2004
47726 posts
13898 upvotes
Markham
budfrogs wrote: Angel_wing - Can you have multiple registered cards from starbucks to get more free wifi? I have 1 that I use. But if I needed a bunch of wifi why not have 2 or 3 with very little on them to get more wifi time?
i donno can i? but from what tng said it looks like yes.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
81 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: i donno can i? but from what tng said it looks like yes.
Affirmative. I have been collecting Starbucks Cards for the last few years. What I did was load $5 on each card, register it, use it up and it adds to the collection. I store all of the card numbers and PINs on a Excel document. So when the Wifi runs out on one card I just move to the next card.

My record: 12 hours straight in Starbucks studying for an Economics exam. :|

You get 3% back on this card if you set up auto-reload function on the Starbucks card on the Visa. Whenever the Starbucks Card balance falls below $10, $20 is automatically deducted from your Visa account and you get 3% cashback at the end of the month back in your Duetto account.

Not to mention you get the free syrups, soy milk and other offers from time to time. In fact there was a free oatmeal promo that I had 6 times over the last 3 days. :lol: The syrups work wonders on some drinks and I can't live without my non-fat no-whip iced mocha with raspberry syrup.
Dec 20, 2006
526 posts
48 upvotes
This makes a great a 2nd/3rd card...
I typically only use it at Starbucks for the 3% back from the auto-reload. I've got some random extra rewards in the mail, even had a CD mailed to me once from Starbucks.

I recently had to suspend my use of the card for a couple months... RBC sends out a lot 1.99% visa cheques for 6 months which is kind of nice... always seem to have instant access to low balance transfers if needed.

I switched from an RBC Rewards card - was the most painless switch ever, was on the phone maybe 3 minutes it arrived in the mail like a week later. RBC Visa seems to have pretty good service. I think this is one of best reward cards from a big bank... (if you are a Starbucks drinker).
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1456 posts
158 upvotes
Wow I didn't know that there were that many people with this card. I called today and asked to switch and I should recieve my new starbucks card sometime next week.

Amex 2% primary
Starwood secondary
And proud to have my Starbucks as a third (had to get this so I can get a free account at RBC).

And... no more PCF ever again.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
Ooooh that's good to hear, I'm going to call in to get a Starbucks Visa too then. $25 in Starbucks cash is good, even though I'm not a huge Starbucks fan, but I still go once in awhile.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
2057 posts
479 upvotes
Burlington
tng11 wrote: Affirmative. I have been collecting Starbucks Cards for the last few years. What I did was load $5 on each card, register it, use it up and it adds to the collection. I store all of the card numbers and PINs on a Excel document. So when the Wifi runs out on one card I just move to the next card.

My record: 12 hours straight in Starbucks studying for an Economics exam. :|

You get 3% back on this card if you set up auto-reload function on the Starbucks card on the Visa. Whenever the Starbucks Card balance falls below $10, $20 is automatically deducted from your Visa account and you get 3% cashback at the end of the month back in your Duetto account.

Not to mention you get the free syrups, soy milk and other offers from time to time. In fact there was a free oatmeal promo that I had 6 times over the last 3 days. :lol: The syrups work wonders on some drinks and I can't live without my non-fat no-whip iced mocha with raspberry syrup.
I love the free flavour shots with a registered card.

Is the 3% on everything or just the amount automatically reloaded onto the Starbucks card?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)