RBC 'View your credit score' option via Trans Union

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 9:14 am
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4416 posts
722 upvotes
Free = very cool! Good for RBC!

Now I have some questions / comments ...

Anyone else get the sense of false specificity? Why is the score out of 900 with these massive ranges - is there that much of a difference between a 694 and 722? What is it, exactly. Exactly. You could probably crunch it down to 1-50, or even 1-10, or 1-5. This isn't some multi variable crazy analysis here, guys. You're solving for credit worthiness ... which is essentially, will they pay on time and will they pay it all back when it comes due. That's it. It doesn't even calculate affordability because it doesn't (technically) know your income ... lol.

Then you have Palantir using 'Big data' and 'machine learning' and 'predictive analytics' to catch Osama Bin Laden and the likes of Target to give you super specific and relevant offers (diaper story, anyone?), and this was 7 and 4 years ago, respectively ... how far technology has come since ... you think the Banks need that to adjudicate a $10,000 credit card? Probably not. We are pretty predictable. Much easier / cheaper to put you into one of the 1-5 buckets and call it a day.

891.5 credit score btw. Cultivated carefully over 11 years.

/rant
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1187 posts
212 upvotes
Canada
Anyone encountering an error message about issue with membership on the day of score update?
Oct 18, 2014
6 posts
Ottawa, ON
Yes I saw the following error message yesterday as well as today:

"Unfortunately, CreditViewTM Dashboard has encountered an issue with your membership information. We apologize for the inconvenience."

It said it would update my credit score yesterday (Sept 21). Before then I was able to see the details fine. Seems RBC/TransUnion still have some issues to be worked out. Given this issue has persisted now for at least 24 hours I would suspect/hope it is resolved soon. I find the info quite useful.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1975 posts
974 upvotes
sg7349 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 10:44 am

"Unfortunately, CreditViewTM Dashboard has encountered an issue with your membership information. We apologize for the inconvenience."

It said it would update my credit score yesterday (Sept 21). Before then I was able to see the details fine. Seems RBC/TransUnion still have some issues to be worked out. Given this issue has persisted now for at least 24 hours I would suspect/hope it is resolved soon. I find the info quite useful.
I was one of the first to have access to this free product from RBC, and every month when I attempt to refresh it, I get the same error message.
It will eventually work if you try it once a day.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1475 posts
459 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
sg7349 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 10:44 am

It will work fine the next day your report refresh.
Oct 18, 2014
6 posts
Ottawa, ON
MoneyHypeMike wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 7:48 pm
It will work fine the next day your report refresh.
Yes. It is working fine now (Sept 24). To recap: Report said under circle bar surrounding score "Next update available on 09/21/2017.". I was met with the above error message on 09/21/2017 when I tried to access the report and again on 09/22/2017 at around 10am EST. I did not try on 09/23/2017. Tried again just now ~10am EST on 9/24/2017 and it worked fine.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1769 posts
532 upvotes
Winnipeg
takodakoko wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 10:40 am
Does the report also show soft pulls?
No
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1975 posts
974 upvotes
sg7349 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 10:14 am
Yes. It is working fine now (Sept 24). To recap: Report said under circle bar surrounding score "Next update available on 09/21/2017.". I was met with the above error message on 09/21/2017 when I tried to access the report and again on 09/22/2017 at around 10am EST. I did not try on 09/23/2017. Tried again just now ~10am EST on 9/24/2017 and it worked fine.
My exact experience.
Prepare to do the same every month.
Oct 7, 2017
1 posts
I don't understand ... my score(RBC-TU ) was last month 797 ,when i checked today -surprise-679 ! Last month i had only one inquiries which is not yet reported ,my cc balance is lower than last month ,always pay full balance in time .How is possibile ?
Aug 27, 2014
49 posts
10 upvotes
Does it not work for Quebecers? It says it has no file on me.

Given that I have nothing but credit cards in my RBC account, I don't understand why these cards wouldn't be reported to the very service they offer.
Apr 7, 2013
208 posts
65 upvotes
Deux-Montagnes, QC
LuxErus wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:43 am

Given that I have nothing but credit cards in my RBC account, I don't understand why these cards wouldn't be reported to the very service they offer.
Work for me in QC.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
13356 posts
4167 upvotes
Gatineau
darthcloud wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 7:22 am
Work for me in QC.
Worked for me in gatineau QC as well.

Djino
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1975 posts
974 upvotes
LuxErus wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:43 am

They are unable to match your information to a credit file, which means your file is more than likely riddled with errors, missing information etc...
You need to reach out to TransUnion and get this fixed up.
Did you by any chance try Credit Karma?