• Jul 18th, 2017 4:26 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
9643 posts
3504 upvotes
BC
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 6:37 pm
Guess banks need a way to keep customers who they bleed to online banking with all their fees. Tempting, but not going to open an account and pay monthly fee just to get a credit report.
I only have the free USD savings account and pay no fees to RBC.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Jul 2, 2015
153 posts
41 upvotes
zappy312 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 10:17 am
Interesting. I didn't see the link, but when I go into an incognito window and then login to RBC, I can see it. Of course, it's still coming soon.
Seems to me like a rather dumb move by Royal Bank. Make it available to a select few and piss the others off.Angry Face

CIBC offers all clients free monitoring of any changes to your credit file.Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1362 posts
648 upvotes
parclub wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 7:47 am
Seems to me like a rather dumb move by Royal Bank. Make it available to a select few and piss the others off.Angry Face

CIBC offers all clients free monitoring of any changes to your credit file.Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Are you referring to CIBC Credit Smart Credit Alerts?
That's that feature avaialae to credit card holders only? That's hardly all clients.
And although a nice feature, mine hasn't worked in over 5 years.
Jul 2, 2015
153 posts
41 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 8:23 am
Are you referring to CIBC Credit Smart Credit Alerts?
That's that feature avaialae to credit card holders only? That's hardly all clients.
And although a nice feature, mine hasn't worked in over 5 years.
Sorry, I should have said all CIBC credit card clients. Mine works fine because last year I added another card and was notified immediately.
To say yours hasn't worked in 5 years ??? Probably a good thing, no problems with your account.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1362 posts
648 upvotes
parclub wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 8:31 am
Sorry, I should have said all CIBC credit card clients. Mine works fine because last year I added another card and was notified immediately.
To say yours hasn't worked in 5 years ??? Probably a good thing, no problems with your account.
So what CIBC is doing is no different than what RBC is doing. Actually at least the service RBC offers is useful, in that it shows the entire credit report from TransUnion, along with a different credit score that none of the other free credit score services offers.
As for my credit alerts not working though my CIBC account, it doesn't work period. In other words, over the last 5 years, I've had inquiries, opened and closed accounts, had account age and drop off etc... and never heard a peep from CIBC credit alerts.
A call to them was a waste of time, as they just say everything is fine on their end.
Oh well, no loss really.
Mar 23, 2004
35061 posts
2792 upvotes
Markham
Shawguy wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 2:54 pm
I had the option there yesterday and got the coming soon message....today the link isn't anywhere to be found on my online banking. So it changes day to day. lol
Happened to me too, it was still there yesterday...*shrugs*
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Jul 2, 2015
153 posts
41 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 8:39 am
So what CIBC is doing is no different than what RBC is doing. Actually at least the service RBC offers is useful, in that it shows the entire credit report from TransUnion, along with a different credit score that none of the other free credit score services offers.
As for my credit alerts not working though my CIBC account, it doesn't work period. In other words, over the last 5 years, I've had inquiries, opened and closed accounts, had account age and drop off etc... and never heard a peep from CIBC credit alerts.
A call to them was a waste of time, as they just say everything is fine on their end.
Oh well, no loss really.
If you really want a free account to verify your credit history why don't you sign up at Credit Karma ??
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1362 posts
648 upvotes
parclub wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 8:49 am
If you really want a free account to verify your credit history why don't you sign up at Credit Karma ??
Already have.
I was only making the point that RBC and CIBC are doing the exact same thing. Giving only certain customers access to a service/feature, that's all.
Nov 26, 2014
235 posts
40 upvotes
Quebec
works for me thanks OP (is 798 good enough to get the best rates on mortgage and heloc? i'm renewing soon)
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15290 posts
1626 upvotes
Montreal
zappy312 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 10:17 am
Interesting. I didn't see the link, but when I go into an incognito window and then login to RBC, I can see it. Of course, it's still coming soon.
Seems it's a browser issue. I did see the coming soon link but only in incognito.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1824 posts
408 upvotes
BTW, this offer seemed to be chosen by random. We have a joint account with RBC and I have access to the credit score while my wife has "coming soon". We opened the joint account + joint investment account at the same time so now I have the access while she doesn't sounded pretty random to me
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
1919 posts
592 upvotes
I have 'the link' but it doesn't actually load. Sits on a loading wheel on Firefox, does nothing on IE. Looks like its when it's contacting the third party site.

I have adblock on FF but even with it turned off it doesn't load; IE is vanilla.