Tags:
None
Jan 20, 2009
928 posts
i would agree
number8888 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2010 2:43 pm
When you go to "checkout" right at the top it says:

Did OP not see this when ordering? Or did OP confirm the order without checking the actual cost?

I would have been very wary of ordering $3000 worth of stuff without checking every fine detail in the order.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5773 posts
1450 upvotes
BC
An unfortunate tale.

Just looking at the vendor's website, there are warning flags:

- at Checkout, you cannot get the shipping cost for non-US addresses until you enter CC info. (never seen that before in sites I use)

- in the FAQ it says,
Q: Upon placing my order when does my credit/debit card get billed
A: All orders that are pending authorization are posted to your credit/debit card,
Once the order is apporved the charge will remain permanent, if an order is not approved the funds are refunded in full and the customer is contacted regarding the order.

(Spelling and grammar are not professional)

- you also have to confirm that you agree with their terms & conditions, which clearly say that you agree to them using UPS or FedEx

At this point, I would say that no RFD member should ever do business with this company.

For that amount in shipping & handling, they must be using the courier company's pre-paid brokerage service for duty and tax.
I didn't want to get that far to confirm whether that is so.

I think you only have a case for correcting the numerical error in the total.
Whatever they normally charge for shipping to Canada can't be disputed with Visa.
Take it as an expensive lesson learned.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7353 posts
823 upvotes
GTA
Another reason why the total amount might be slightly different (even after the tax/shipping) is the credit card company fee you likely have to pay for the conversion from US to CDN$. I think most of my credit cards charge 2% for this.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1998 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
I'm curious to know at what point you freaked out on the VISA client rep. Maybe this is one of the reasons they are not being as helpful as they could be?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2639 posts
77 upvotes
Why do people buy stuff from random sites? Sorry OP for your troubles, but consumers should be a little bit smarter about WHERE they shop. Simply b/c a site says they will give you item X for price Y, doesn't mean you should trust the site.

I only do business with reputable companies - they might cost a bit more and RFDers might not like them all, but at least they are well known entities that have much to lose as well with bad publicity if they try to screw over the customer.

Smart consumer = happy consumer.

Try to get the math corrected. Seems like that's all you can do. File complaint with BBB and write a strongly worded letter. Since you are not local to them, threatening litigation might not be too useful and they might call you on it. Happy hunting.
Oct 15, 2007
5 posts
Sokinw
04deveni wrote:
Apr 19th, 2010 7:10 pm
hi guys,

i'm looking for some expert advice on a nightmare transaction i had made in haste about a month ago. I bough a dslr online from www.dailydealdigital.com because they advertised it for a fairly nice price (not anything crazy so had i known what i know now i would have gone with the 10 others on nextag that had it for the same price). I ordered the camera, the total for which was about $3200 and assumed that that is what i'll be charged since shipping was advertised as free. Two days later and no invoice/receipt from daily deal digital my rbc visa card gets charged around $3700. I called them up to complain and the same guy that answers all the phone lines there told me that the total was more because of shipping and tax, yelling i requested an itemized bill which he immediately emailed while we were on the phone. Apparently they charged me $200 for shipping and $214 for tax the funny thing is that the sub total + s&h + tax didn't even add up. I freaked out on the guy and was told that everything will be sorted out. The next morning i got an email saying that my total has been adjusted and the credit was issued. I waited a week for the credit + my camera and received neither. Called rbc visa, who said that in order for me to challenge the charge i have to wait a month to not receive the goods. Literally 29 days later i got the camera but still no credit for the tax, s&h and bad math. The merchant is not replying to my emails and puts me on hourly holds or even hangs up on me so i called visa again to see if i can challenge the charge and they told me that so long as the merchant sent me a bill saying that they were going to charge me these amounts, visa cannot do anything for me.

I am now completely lost, how is it possible that these guys completely went to town on me and visa cannot do anything about it. Do i have any options or maneuvers? Has anyone been in a similar situation before and walked away victorious?

Sorry about the super long post, but it's been a super long saga.

Thanks in advance for your input.

cancel your rbc visa card now. Rbc visa is useless. See my post
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
1833 posts
597 upvotes
Guelph
This is an old thread your bumping... :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6217 posts
870 upvotes
I agree. There is no reason whatsoever to have resurrected this thread which is over 6 months old. > :(