RBC Wallet App vs Samsung Pay

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2018 2:03 pm
[OP]
Oct 29, 2017
115 posts
13 upvotes

RBC Wallet App vs Samsung Pay

Would anyone know what is the difference between the two and is there any benefit to using one over the other?

Thank you
7 replies
Feb 17, 2017
688 posts
405 upvotes
Calgary
Samsung pay works almost anywhere, it can use both the tap feature and can also emulate the magnetic stripe of a card (you just need to hold the phone over the card swiper). (Note though that the magstripe emulation only works with credit cards). RBC Wallet only works where contactless is accepted.
Jul 8, 2014
93 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
In addition to the magnetic strip, I find samsung pay more responsive and I can keep my other bank/loyalty cards in the same app as opposed to opening different apps if I want pull out other cards
May 8, 2009
6737 posts
2926 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
SiuMai wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 11:26 pm
In addition to the magnetic strip, I find samsung pay more responsive and I can keep my other bank/loyalty cards in the same app as opposed to opening different apps if I want pull out other cards
+1

I use Google Pay, and store a mix of gift cards and loyalty cards in there, plus the payment cards.

RBC wallet app has a limited selection of loyalty cards and gift cards.

I keep Stocard as backup, but prefer Google Pay now for most cards. I don't have a Sammy so no access to Sammy Pay.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
Oct 29, 2017
115 posts
13 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 4:08 pm
+1

I use Google Pay, and store a mix of gift cards and loyalty cards in there, plus the payment cards.

I keep Stocard as backup, but prefer Google Pay now for most cards. I don't have a Sammy so no access to Sammy Pay.
I hadn't even thought about Google Pay, just one more addition to the list to consider.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2901 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 4:08 pm
+1

Do you still have a $100-$200 limit on Google Pay?
May 8, 2009
6737 posts
2926 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Troydabes wrote:
Jul 15th, 2018 9:11 am
Do you still have a $100-$200 limit on Google Pay?
The $100 limit is set by contactless POS tap in Canada. Don't think Google Pay sets its own limit.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Feb 17, 2017
688 posts
405 upvotes
Calgary
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 15th, 2018 10:29 am
The $100 limit is set by contactless POS tap in Canada. Don't think Google Pay sets its own limit.
More up to date POS do support the Device verification method which enables limitless mobile payments. So far the only place I've reliably encountered it is Bed Bath & Beyond (and Apple Stores). https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht202527 Should explain CDCVM in more detail.

Samsung Pay works for any amount (at least with RBC) as it just uses the magstripe above 100$. Something I do find funny though is that Canadian POS only seem to enforce the limit on Canadian cards. If I tap a UK card (either the card or using Samsung Pay), it'll just ask for a signature on above 100$ transactions around 90% of time instead.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)