None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12342 posts
1863 upvotes
City of Vancouver

RCSS cashier trolley bag check

The Real Canadian Superstore Vancouver Grandview cashier told me she needed to check inside my wheely bag as I was paying for my groceries.

1. that is kind of rude
2. I have written the Superstore before to complain about the rampant theft of goods that are displayed outside their front doors, and it is still going on because their security staff are not that attentive.
3. there are no signs in the store about security checks on bags (unlike at Canadian Tire)
4. if this is new policy, it is not enforced regularly, but applied ad hoc.
5. even if I did have groceries, it could be from going thru checkout earlier or stuff from another store, so it would take even more time to produce the receipt as proof of payment
6. security needs to actually see shoplifting happen for there to be any hope of conviction
De gustibus non est disputandum
19 replies
Sep 4, 2014
537 posts
46 upvotes
Madden, AB
Does the RCSS allow you to put items in your trolley before check out? I've seen stores that prohibit that, and that only shopping baskets or carts can be used, since it's hard to know if someone is "stealing".
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1753 posts
408 upvotes
Calgary
I always though you can't be charged for stealing anything regardless how you carry it until you physically leave the store (or at least past the checkouts)
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18540 posts
3171 upvotes
GTA West
MafiaHitman wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 12:07 am
I always though you can't be charged for stealing anything regardless how you carry it until you physically leave the store (or at least past the checkouts)
No. Technically, according to the Criminal Code Section 322.(2):
A person commits theft when, with intent to steal anything, he moves it or causes it to move or to be moved, or begins to cause it to become movable.
Of course a main point in prosecuting is being able to prove intent, so store security usually does nothing until you've passed the checkouts.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12342 posts
1863 upvotes
City of Vancouver
hello3k wrote:
Feb 20th, 2015 11:41 pm
Does the RCSS allow you to put items in your trolley before check out? I've seen stores that prohibit that, and that only shopping baskets or carts can be used, since it's hard to know if someone is "stealing".
I shopped without putting any Superstore merchandise in my wheely bag!

If the store is going to be vigilant about shoplifting like Canadian Tire, put up signs so that the customers know what to expect and can make informed choices.
Dec 1, 2012
202 posts
30 upvotes
There maybe one or two odd person that did not take out items place in their wheely bag with the intention of not paying.

LPO may have thought you did not take out items that you put in earlier from their video surveillance. [Edit: You said you did not put any Superstore merchandise in the wheely bag]

The cashier will now recognized you as an honest person after checking your bags.
Dec 17, 2010
360 posts
133 upvotes
I use to work for RCSS and the front end manager told us to do B.O.B. (Bottom of basket) and L.I.S.A (look inside always). I don't blame the cashier for doing it, but we were told to do in an indiscreet manner. My manager told me to do it if you feel suspicious even if it were slightly rude because in the end, my job will be on the line.

I would say that people steal daily at RCSS. I've also had tons of people forgetting to take the stuff out from their backpack or left some stuff at the bottom of the basket. The managers do keep a list of people that visit daily and what they do.

As a cashier, we do get in trouble if someone steals, difference in our till, or any complaints. We will get warnings, re-evaluated, scolded etc.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12342 posts
1863 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Ok, so it sounds like I should just go shop at Walmart and PriceSmart, both of which are 2-3 blocks away from the Superstore and both of which pricematch flyers. I'll just go to RCSS when they've got some points promo and I'm carrying nothing with me. In fact, I'll just wear a bathing suit so that they don't think I snuck a ham down my pants.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
627 upvotes
MangoFruit wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 3:37 am
I use to work for RCSS and the front end manager told us to do B.O.B. (Bottom of basket) and L.I.S.A (look inside always). I don't blame the cashier for doing it, but we were told to do in an indiscreet manner. My manager told me to do it if you feel suspicious even if it were slightly rude because in the end, my job will be on the line.

I would say that people steal daily at RCSS. I've also had tons of people forgetting to take the stuff out from their backpack or left some stuff at the bottom of the basket. The managers do keep a list of people that visit daily and what they do.

As a cashier, we do get in trouble if someone steals, difference in our till, or any complaints. We will get warnings, re-evaluated, scolded etc.
Bob and Lisa I heard a few times at wally world.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1871 posts
316 upvotes
Burlington
WalMart won't help they have the greeters at the exit regularly that want to look at your stuff and see you receipt.
Oct 2, 2014
212 posts
35 upvotes
New Westminster
Keep the receipts from other stores and produced it when asked.
Dec 29, 2014
382 posts
345 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Its not rude its just making sure your not stealing anything. The cashiers don't know you and neither do you.Plus only about 5% of people shop with trolleys so it would make it suspicious.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12342 posts
1863 upvotes
City of Vancouver
^ Is is rude. And around here, more than 5 percent use a personal shopping cart 'cuz not everyone drives around here.

And, for the people who "thanked" that post, they probably think section 8 of the Charter of Rights should be removed?
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
967 upvotes
Yellowknife
MangoFruit wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 3:37 am

Yes. Discreet is the operative word. Cashier should have filled offered to load the heavy items in the bottom of the trolley bag, with a smile.

OP could have refused, since police are qualified to search, not cashiers.