None
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
MangoFruit wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 3:37 am
I would say that people steal daily at RCSS. I've also had tons of people forgetting to take the stuff out from their backpack or left some stuff at the bottom of the basket. The managers do keep a list of people that visit daily and what they do.
Even good customers? Creepy. Though that does explain some things and weird behaviour I've seen in the past. Wonder why stores still don't know how to treat their customers properly yet? Treating everybody as would-be-crooks, when the majority are honest, is a sure way to go bust.

As for RCSS, if this is an issue, they should bar customers' bags from the store and make plastic bags free, like at other stores.
Dec 1, 2012
202 posts
30 upvotes
coupondiva2012 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2015 7:52 pm
Yes. Discreet is the operative word. Cashier should have filled offered to load the heavy items in the bottom of the trolley bag, with a smile.

OP could have refused, since police are qualified to search, not cashiers.
Cashier ask to check, not search. If store (cashier, LPO) cannot look inside, a lot of people will get away with shoplifting.

Superstore has improved a lot in trusting customers. Many years ago, if you walk into the Superstore with a shopping bag, they will tape the shopping bag with sticky tape. If you have a backpack or duffel bag, you need to leave it on the shelf at the entrance. At that time, Superstore viewed their customers with bags as thieves.

Now, you can walk into Superstore with shopping bags, back packs, duffel bags etc without having your bag taped up or left upfront. Hell, you can even put Superstore merchandise inside your wheely bag. In other stores, putting the store merchandise inside a bag, regardless of type of bag, is considered concealment and thus is flagged as potential shoplifter. In this respect, Superstore has been trusting and accommodating to their customers, particularly those customers with wheely bags for letting them put their merchandise inside the wheely bag. All Superstore ask in return is to look inside the wheely bag. :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6361 posts
193 upvotes
I don't use a trolley so have never been asked to have it searched BUT if I did, I wouldn't be offended. I know that I am honest and would NEVER steal anything but they don't know that. It's a fact that many people steal and so the store has no way of differentiating whether you are an honest customer or a thief. Looking into your trolley is merely a way for them to ensure that you happen to be one of the honest customers. Now, if they grabbed me and threw me into a room to search me that would be a different story but asking to look into any bags I'm carrying, or a trolley, well be my guest. We are all different but I'm just not that easily offended.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15407 posts
2221 upvotes
Toronto
It's a type of re-usable bag, I have no problems with those bags being checked.
Honestly, they're going to give it a quick glance and if you really wanted to steal, I don't think you'd have any issues. However, as a measure / deterrent, I think it's a great idea for cashiers to remember THOSE types of bags as well. Sorry OP.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
2974 posts
681 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Nothing rude at all. If I brought my bag in and they want to check then I would be happily oblige as I know I have nothing to hide.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac