Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Real Canadian Superstore

RCSS charcoal starter chimney $6.94

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2014 3:14 pm
25 replies
Jul 27, 2010
313 posts
241 upvotes
saw some at Loblaws for $4.94. I bought one at 6.94 3 days ago.. and used it. Not bad starter.
May 4, 2011
54 posts
12 upvotes
Vancouver
does the handle get hot on these?
Banned
Mar 30, 2016
14 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
bluecooldeal wrote: saw some at Loblaws for $4.94. I bought one at 6.94 3 days ago.. and used it. Not bad starter.
really??
May 9, 2007
241 posts
77 upvotes
Ottawa
Buy a Weber one, they are $20 and will not rust like these junk ones. The Weber one is amazing and works much much better. You'll buy five of these before your Weber craps out.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2959 posts
463 upvotes
Montreal
I bought the Char-Broil one from Lowes.ca when it was on sale and it really sucks. I also have a Weber one the great thing with the Weber is the inside is already cone shaped so when you stick your paper it hold nicely and that it lights on first try
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Wife took a day trip south of the border yesterday, and had her pick up the Weber unit from Homedepot US for $15. At that price, it was not even worth trying any of the other brands. I've never seen any real negative review on these Weber units (there is obviously a reason for it).
Out of 155 reviews on homedepot site, 1 idiot who gave it 1 star who has no clue about the principles of combustion, 1 idiot who reviewed Cherry trees and gave it 1 star (go figure), and pretty much everyone else has given it 4 to 5 stars, with no other negative comments..
Any other models I had seen, had piles of negative reviews.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Rapidf ... /100657893
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3232 posts
2876 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Had to open the thread just to find out what the hell a "chimney starter" is. It's not like a fireplace chimney needs a bacterial culture, so maybe it's some kind of foundation kit to make it faster/easier to build a chimney? But no, it turns out it's actually a charcoal starter chimney. Not nearly as interesting as I'd hoped.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1953 posts
829 upvotes
+1 Just bought the weber chimney starter at the Niagara Falls Walmart for $14.96.
Also bought a couple bags of hickory and mesquite chuncks for $5.68.

Had the best ribs and pulled pork ever using the Weber smokey mountain deal from Home Depot.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
3969 posts
4720 upvotes
Victoria
Got the $20 Weber one in the mail from Home Depot this week. Thing is a beast! Can't wait to give it a shot.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
I have been using the Weber for a few years now. It's been fantastic and is the only way to start charcoal IMO.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2009
1495 posts
746 upvotes
London Area
Genblue wrote: +1 Just bought the weber chimney starter at the Niagara Falls Walmart for $14.96.
Also bought a couple bags of hickory and mesquite chuncks for $5.68.

Had the best ribs and pulled pork ever using the Weber smokey mountain deal from Home Depot.
Would you have a SKU from Walmart for the Weber chimney? So far only Amazon and HD have it online...The WM price is $5 less AND in-store! I need one for camping this coming weekend for my Smokey Joe.
Mar 8, 2008
491 posts
840 upvotes
gatineau
newked wrote: Buy a Weber one, they are $20 and will not rust like these junk ones. The Weber one is amazing and works much much better. You'll buy five of these before your Weber craps out.
That's pretty accurate. I've bought 3 of those cheap ones that all rusted and/or fell apart. I finally got a weber one this summer for $20. Holds more coal and paper, it's super sturdy and even has an extra handle to help pour the hot coals safer.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3135 posts
1133 upvotes
Winnipeg
Wizard1 wrote: or you can just buy those Self Starting 2LB charcoal bags from Home Depot for $1 each.
I don't like the smell of the lighter fluid (or whatever it is) soaked that's soaked in those things. They are convenient though.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1370 posts
265 upvotes
Winnipeg
Noticed some other Tera Gear stuff for sale too.

Rotisserie unit for $19.xx marked down from $40

15 pc tool kit with flashlight for $9.xx marked down from $20

heavy duty cotton apron $4.xx marked down from $9
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
As a note, the RCSS ones are noticeably smaller than most others.
Jan 12, 2007
452 posts
126 upvotes
I bought one a couple months ago at full price because I was lazy. Works well, I'm using it with a smokey joe gold. I think you'd want a larger chimney if you had a full size grill. Most of the paint/coating has flaked off this and its starting to warp a little.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
Wizard1 wrote: or you can just buy those Self Starting 2LB charcoal bags from Home Depot for $1 each.
Yes, because adding chemicals makes it test so much better.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2011
1153 posts
832 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
If you're going to use one, the Weber is definitely the way to go. That said, I still always start all my charcoal cookers (Up to 3 now!), using a cottonball half soaked in vegetable oil.