Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
RCSS

Huge Cantaloupes $1.48 ea

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2017 12:21 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9182 posts
3859 upvotes
Toronto

Huge Cantaloupes $1.48 ea

Retailer:
RCSS
Was just at RCSS, Don Mills/Eglinton. This week in the flyer the cantaloupes are $1.48 each. They are huge. We bought many.
29 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Just checked out the flyer. Those are massive melons.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1383 posts
574 upvotes
I chuckled at the thread title...
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4193 posts
2224 upvotes
Niagara
nasa25 wrote: Just checked out the flyer. Those are massive melons.
It's going to be hard to just look and not touch them all in store.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1283 posts
484 upvotes
BC
They had these in BC last week and I got one. Seemed fresh, nice and firm.

Worst cantaloupe I ever bought! 90% mush inside, but not actually rotting yet. Now I understand why cantaloupes are sometimes referred to as "mushmelons".

I froze it until garbage collection time. Looks like I got to pay to take away RCSS's trash.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9182 posts
3859 upvotes
Toronto
Warped wrote: I chuckled at the thread title...
Ha. I guess a title like "Huge melons" would be more eye catching.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9182 posts
3859 upvotes
Toronto
adams7 wrote: They had these in BC last week and I got one. Seemed fresh, nice and firm.

Worst cantaloupe I ever bought! 90% mush inside, but not actually rotting yet. Now I understand why cantaloupes are sometimes referred to as "mushmelons".

I froze it until garbage collection time. Looks like I got to pay to take away RCSS's trash.
The ones advertised here are Ontario cantaloupes. They ones you guys have there in BC, wouldn't be Ontario cantaloupes -- we get them here first and it'll take too long to ship to you. So what you had in BC were either BC melons or California, or elsewhere.

Ontario melons are good.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5348 posts
4356 upvotes
Can't wait to get my hands on those supermarket melons.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2758 posts
1857 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
Word of warning. Cut them right away or else they will get over ripe and mushy (fermented) from the inside. Happened to me yesterday.....

Huge melons are not necessarily better. You've heard the saying "Size does not matter". But I guess, to each their own.

Personally, I like my melons firm, almost perky, and not humongous, if you get my drift.....
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest, Friendliest & Most Haunted town in Canada
Support local small business
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1561 upvotes
TMI, so far I've learned from this thread:

Huge Ontario Melons are the best - huge and firm. BC/US Melons are Huge and Mushy,

I guess I'll have to sample more melons from various cities to draw my own conclusions. But generally, I like them medium sized, medium firm and super sweet !!!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2596 posts
1987 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
So I guess most of you don't know how to pick ripe melons. Squeeze it gently. If it's firm then it is not ripe. It should yield a little bit. That is ripe. If it feels soft then it is too ripe.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Giving out upvotes like candy in this thread.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9182 posts
3859 upvotes
Toronto
Didn't know people like melons so much.
frugal69 wrote: TMI, so far I've learned from this thread:

Huge Ontario Melons are the best - huge and firm.
You got that right.
Feb 24, 2017
45 posts
67 upvotes
Burnaby
The BC cantaloupes that I bought at Superstore last week were awesome.
Give 'em a sniff, if they smell sweet take 'em.
And buy two, always buy two.
May 13, 2016
161 posts
192 upvotes
GTA
Warped wrote: I chuckled at the thread title...
Me too. MelonMelon
So easy, even I can do it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
6705 posts
2104 upvotes
Mississauga
StealthFinder wrote: Word of warning. Cut them right away or else they will get over ripe and mushy (fermented) from the inside. Happened to me yesterday.....

Huge melons are not necessarily better. You've heard the saying "Size does not matter". But I guess, to each their own.

Personally, I like my melons firm, almost perky, and not humongous, if you get my drift.....
Watermelon fan here,I don't like cantaloupe that but something I buy it after I convince myself to eat healthy and I need some kind of variety,I bought one more than a month ago,and it's still sitting there on the shelf in the fridge ,may be it's still edible,I''m pretty sure 24 hours it's not gonna make a difference unless you got an old (granny) melon or bad melon.
Silence is the best answer to a fool
Dec 25, 2005
720 posts
154 upvotes
Vancouver
My dad, when asked about the best size for melons, replied: "Just big enough to get each of my hands around 'em."

Pretty sure he was talking about fruit. Pretty sure.