• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2018 8:29 pm
[OP]
Aug 30, 2018
1 posts

Re Federal Incorporation

Hi,
I have a sole proprietorship business running for more than a year, and I wanted to incorporate it.
I found that the same name is taken by somebody in ON province at a later stage.
Can I incorporate my business from the sole proprietorship to federal?
How can I get my business incorporated in federal?
Please advise.
4 replies
Mar 16, 2011
5 posts
Fill out the application with all the proper info ie: share structure and rules... Its conplicated. The cheapest template i have found thati used is at opstart.ca
Mar 5, 2018
49 posts
17 upvotes
Hi,

I'm in the same situation, I have a sole proprietorship registered with Quebec government, but someone in Ontario later has registered the exact same name (with the inc) with ON government. I have verified with Federal Corporation, it seems that I still have the chance to incorporate my company with that name as that person registered his company name only Ontario government. I don't know why he likes that name as I have already the domain name with my enterprise name.

Is it a good idea that I incorporate with Federal to protect my business name ? Will I have any problem because that person has incorporated with ON gov. ?

Thank you

Tom
Last edited by TomShopper on Sep 22nd, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1190 posts
152 upvotes
Markham, ON
If you incorporate federally, you might run into the trouble of not getting your name approved because it is too similar to an existing name. The federal government offer a free name approval process prior to incorporation but you have to pay for the NUANS report which they will use to approve or disapprove the name. You can argue with them about why you need this name and they will write back to let you know why they are not letting you use this name or what additional information you may need to provide them in order to use the name (ie. consent from the person who is already using a name very similar to the name you want)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)