Home & Garden

Re-key or buy new deadbolts? Weiser or Schlage?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2011 8:21 am
Tags:
None
Nov 24, 2009
118 posts
3 upvotes
Oakville

Re-key or buy new deadbolts? Weiser or Schlage?

Hi All,

Here's our concern: we're not so sure how many subcontractors or tradesmen had access to our house before we moved in. And though the builder told us that once they used this special key, all their old keys would no longer work. He did it in front of us on our closing date, but we're still a little skeptical. So we'd prefer to have all our keys changed.

Is it better to have a locksmith come and re-key all our doors (i.e., we'll still be able to use our existing deadbolts)? Or is it better to just buy new deadbolts from HD or Rona's, and have a handyman install them? Or if we go this route (buying new deadbolts), would we still need a locksmith anyway?

The man at HD we talked to today said that if we were to buy Schlage deadbolts, we wouldn't be able to have them re-keyed to one key without the help of a locksmith. Is that true? This, he said, is why it might be better for us to buy Weiser, which with the Smart Key technology, we could re-key to a single key by ourselves.... which brings me to my next question... Which is better Weiser or Schlage? Or some other brand???

Confused-newbie-home-owner here :)

Thanks to you all once again for any input!
24 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1637 posts
188 upvotes
I much prefer Weiser to Schlage. I have used the smartkey system on our rental unit, and it works well. The thing is, you don't need to re-key the deadbolt if you buy this system as it comes with it's own keys.

You can replace the deadbolts yourself as it is extremely simple to do. You likely won't need anything other than a screwdriver. It would likely be much cheaper to replace the locks than to hire a locksmith to come out. How many need to be replaced?
Oct 1, 2008
387 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jrees wrote:
May 24th, 2011 9:17 pm
I much prefer Weiser to Schlage. I have used the smartkey system on our rental unit, and it works well. The thing is, you don't need to re-key the deadbolt if you buy this system as it comes with it's own keys.

You can replace the deadbolts yourself as it is extremely simple to do. You likely won't need anything other than a screwdriver. It would likely be much cheaper to replace the locks than to hire a locksmith to come out. How many need to be replaced?
Weiser was better than Schlage a few years ago but in the past 18 months Weiser has gone down hill since they were purchased buy Kwick Set (Black & Decker) They changed the guts to the locks from Weiser parts to Kwick Set parts. Being in the door and Window business we find we are having problems with Weiser locks breaking.
[OP]
Nov 24, 2009
118 posts
3 upvotes
Oakville
jrees wrote:
May 24th, 2011 9:17 pm

We need to replace 3 locks or deadbolts, to be precise. So with the Weiser, how do we use the smartkey system to use one (1) key for all 3 deadbolts?
[OP]
Nov 24, 2009
118 posts
3 upvotes
Oakville
adanac7152 wrote:
May 24th, 2011 9:27 pm
Weiser was better than Schlage a few years ago but in the past 18 months Weiser has gone down hill since they were purchased buy Kwick Set (Black & Decker) They changed the guts to the locks from Weiser parts to Kwick Set parts. Being in the door and Window business we find we are having problems with Weiser locks breaking.

Oh no! "Weiser locks breaking" ... So adanac7152, do you recommend Schlage? What is also your opinion or advice regarding our concern, seeing as you are in the door and window business :)
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1184 posts
75 upvotes
Also in kinda same position but I have a mix of Schlage and Weiser deadbolts. I will be changing them all to Schlage.
Yes, you will need a locksmith to have them re-keyed to the same key but if you bring them (save on the truck charge) the entire assembly they just change out the cylinder which is cheaper.
You can also do a master key system where 'master' keys open everything thing and 'slave' keys open certain doors.
pennywize wrote:Go up to her in person and ask: Does this cloth smell like chloroform to you?
Success rate = 100%
MrBurns wrote:
Apr 18th, 2011 3:30 pm
I'd push an old lady in front of a semi to get a penny off the sidewalk.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
Love our Schlage. They are great. Rekeyed with master key the garage and front door to be the same. So have spare master key to change locks if we want in future.
Mar 6, 2007
950 posts
59 upvotes
When we got our house last year, and were expecting a lot of tradesmen to come in, we replaced all of the exterior locks with the Weiser Smart-Key compatible locks. We also got an electronic key-pad lock since it was cheaper than having multiple keys run around. So fast forward a year, and we haven't had to re-key a lock yet: we just changed the code to give to whomever needs access and change it back when they should be done. The downside was that the two exterior doors costed about $600 for the locks...

And OP: yes, installing these locks are dead simple as long as you have full normal usage of your hands. Someone without full range of motion might have some difficulty doing it themselves, but then an extra set of hands solves that problem: one person holds while the other person screws in the screws!
Mar 12, 2011
317 posts
6 upvotes
dibksbgon wrote:
May 25th, 2011 5:57 am
Love our Schlage. They are great. Rekeyed with master key the garage and front door to be the same. So have spare master key to change locks if we want in future.

just wondering how can one re-key a schlage to have the same key for everything? do we bring it to a locksmith and have the cylinder just changed? sometimes it's a pain to bring different sets of keys for front door, garage door, back door, etc. we have schlage but want to have same keys also

based on OP, it seems like schlage does not allow for having the same keys but in your situation you managed to do it. appreciate if you could elaborate how to do this is further detail. thanks.
Apr 3, 2011
150 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
valleverde007 wrote:
May 25th, 2011 10:01 am
just wondering how can one re-key a schlage to have the same key for everything? do we bring it to a locksmith and have the cylinder just changed? sometimes it's a pain to bring different sets of keys for front door, garage door, back door, etc. we have schlage but want to have same keys also

based on OP, it seems like schlage does not allow for having the same keys but in your situation you managed to do it. appreciate if you could elaborate how to do this is further detail. thanks.

You will need to purchase a Schlage with securekey which allows you to re-key with out the need of a lock smith. The Schlage deadbolt I purchased from HD came with 2 keys and 1 blue reset key. Use the blue reset key to match other Schlage securekey locks to use the same key to unlock both doors. If your Schlage doesn't use securekey then you will need to call a lock smith to re-key.
Sep 19, 2007
493 posts
67 upvotes
We have Schlage throughout our house and front door. Very good sets, and we are very happy with the quality. Haven't had any problems.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1243 posts
254 upvotes
Ottawa
PhuFighter wrote:
May 25th, 2011 8:25 am
We also got an electronic key-pad lock since it was cheaper than having multiple keys run around. So fast forward a year, and we haven't had to re-key a lock yet: we just changed the code to give to whomever needs access and change it back when they should be done. The downside was that the two exterior doors costed about $600 for the locks...

just wondering if there doors are exposed to the elements and if so how do the electronic deadbolts hold up. I was looking at the schlage for the mudroom/garage door since its not exposed to the elements but if there is something that will be fine with being exposed then I dont mind to give it a try.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2834 posts
38 upvotes
The cost to have a locksmith come to the house is more then buying a lock. We bought Weiser. Install is simple. It has the smartkey option on it. Also purchased a electronic keypad so we can change the codes anytime and add code for a tradesman temporarily. Purchased on ebay for unbelievably cheaper then around here. the Electronic keypad by kwikset in silver cost $55 delivered and the weiser door entry system $50 shipped.

Checkout the seller on ebay thelocksetdiscounters They are the manufacture of these and sell at a huge discount. Will save you a lot of $$$
× < >