Home & Garden

Re-sealing driveway

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2016 1:27 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 9, 2007
112 posts
Thats if we did it ourselves. We didnt, and are now regretting it. Needless to say, we are going to get to the bottom of this. :mad:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5050 posts
240 upvotes
plymouthhater wrote:
Jul 6th, 2008 10:10 pm
I seal my asphalt driveway every year:

I wash down the driveway with my pressure washer.
All oil spots are cleaned with a mixture of powdered laundry detergent and water (made into a paste) and then rinsed off after a few minutes.
I fill the cracks with roof repair tar that comes in a caulking tube (Home Depot) and let it dry overnight.
The next morning I tape newspaper over the foundation of the house where the driveway meets the wall and the bottom of the brick pillar between the two garage doors.
I use "Black Knight Airport Grade" coating - it's coal tar based applied with the cheapo roller & handle from Home Depot ($5).
I dilute the mixture with water as I go along as it tends to thicken up into a slurry despite repeated mixings.
When I am down to the last 10% of the coating material- I take the roller off the wooden handle and tape or ty-wrap a dollar store paint brush to the end of the handle and use the paint brush to fill in the 1 inch gap that I left along the curbs. (I left a gap along the curb to prevent splashing the coating).
Driveway is left without vehicles for 2 SUNNY days.

I have been using this method for years.

wow very nice method. Will definitley remember your post for next time I do it myself.

I had mine done last weekend, all went well except the guy said he'll try to fill in the oil spot cracks with tar and didn't. Doesn't look that bad. Only charged me $45.

I was wondering if it's too late to fill in the crack myself with the home depot stuff you mentioned?
Achieva Financial / Tangerine / ZenBanx member

Best deal scored: Public Mobile $40/4GB/Fall Promo offer!
Apr 9, 2007
112 posts
Well, no replies from SealMasters aka SpringMasters Canada so we initiated a stop payment on the cheque. Some Customer Service they offer.
Jan 13, 2007
61 posts
Toronto, Ontario
TorontoEh wrote:
Jul 7th, 2008 1:42 pm
wow very nice method. Will definitley remember your post for next time I do it myself.

I had mine done last weekend, all went well except the guy said he'll try to fill in the oil spot cracks with tar and didn't. Doesn't look that bad. Only charged me $45.

I was wondering if it's too late to fill in the crack myself with the home depot stuff you mentioned?
Wow, $45 is a great price. Would you be able to provide the contact information? I used a driveway sealant at my last house and it turned out beautifully. Since moving 3 months ago, I've been planning on applying the same sealant on my current house, but just haven't done so yet. I can tell you one thing, it cost me more than $45 in materials alone! I'd be very interested in your referral!
May 15, 2006
520 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
plymouthhater wrote:
Jul 6th, 2008 10:10 pm
I seal my asphalt driveway every year:

I dilute the mixture with water as I go along as it tends to thicken up into a slurry despite repeated mixings....
I have been using this method for years.
Great RFD suggestion. Really. I'm going to do this!
Apr 22, 2009
3 posts
Richmond Hill
I have had all the same questions, there are to many fly by night guys out there. So I have researched this and came to the conclusion that using Acrlic based sealers are just a bandaid fix and can actually damage your driveway, you should only be using a Coal Tar product and not a coal tar based product. So I have purchased the equipment and gone into business for myself. PM me if you have any questions you want answered.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2009
1833 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
laughalot007 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2009 10:53 am
I have had all the same questions, there are to many fly by night guys out there. So I have researched this and came to the conclusion that using Acrlic based sealers are just a bandaid fix and can actually damage your driveway, you should only be using a Coal Tar product and not a coal tar based product. So I have purchased the equipment and gone into business for myself. PM me if you have any questions you want answered.

Im curious .. the driveway we have now is definitely about 12 - 15 years old. There are a few "low spots" that have sunk in from cars sitting in the same spots repeatedly. There are obviously a few cracks and oil spots.

Id like to resurface but would like to get the surface flattened again. How would one go about "fixing" or "filling" the low sunk spots? Or is that sort of thing not possible for a DIY-er and is just better to have the driveway ripped up and redone?
Apr 22, 2009
3 posts
Richmond Hill
You would have to cut out the low spots and retar it. If the driveway is in really bad shape, lots of cracks and spills and low spots you would be best just to ripe it out and repave it. getting it resurfaced is also a sollution as long as you get someone who is reliable and will do it right, he should get ride of the low spots and everything. Try not parking the car in the same spot dailly expecially when it is warm out.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3815 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like some of you are already sealing your driveways so hoping this is the right time to get it done. But I have a quick question looking at the condition of our driveway do you think sealing will be good enough or do they need to add asphalt or something as well? What would be considered a good price for this work? Also any suggestion on a company willing to come to Ajax would be greatly appreciated.

Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2009
1833 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
laughalot007 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2009 5:11 pm
You would have to cut out the low spots and retar it. If the driveway is in really bad shape, lots of cracks and spills and low spots you would be best just to ripe it out and repave it. getting it resurfaced is also a sollution as long as you get someone who is reliable and will do it right, he should get ride of the low spots and everything. Try not parking the car in the same spot dailly expecially when it is warm out.
its not in BAD shape but it does show signs up abuse lol Kinda like being in your late 40's :P

Anywho, I was just curious. There are so many things we want to do outside that the driveway might be pushed back until next year.
Jan 6, 2008
112 posts
18 upvotes
laughalot007 wrote:
Wow, coal-tar....you mean the stuff that gets all soft and sticky when mid-summer 35 degree temps outside? The stuff that when the sun shines tracks onto your shoes and everywhere you walk, and rubs black off onto everything that comes in contact with it....such as garden hoses, balls etc? :eek:

Yeah right....I'll stick with tar-based or asphalt-based product that requires more frequent application.

Good luck with your business. :lol:
Banned
Apr 4, 2006
490 posts
6 upvotes
laughalot007 wrote:
I'd want to use your services but I'm sure like all here we'd need to see some of your recent work. I have several cracks and oil spills on my driveway and I called one of these fly by night guys...so basically sprayed black stuff all over and filled liquid within the low areas or cracks. :mad:
Apr 9, 2007
112 posts
You should see our driveway this year. It has faded, there are numerous cracks in the pavement and parts of the driveway are cracking. Boy, am I ever glad we put a stop payment on that cheque.
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Canadian Tire has the Airport Grade Sealant on sale this week. Is this a good brand to use for a driveway?
Jul 7, 2006
2 posts
I'm looking at fixing up my driveway now, but Black Knight has 4 different driveway products available. Not really sure which one to get.

Black Knight Asphalt Rejuvenator Driveway Sealer
Black Knight Airport Grade Driveway Sealer
Black Knight Driveway Sealer
Black Knight Seal 'N' Coat Driveway Sealer

Looking online, they don't really explain what the difference is between all of them. Any ideas?
× < >