Off Topic Archive

Locked: Readers Digest Canada Sweepstakes Scam?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2012 9:14 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1014 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto

Readers Digest Canada Sweepstakes Scam?

I just got an email today with the subject: 'Immediate Action Required From: XXXXX XX'‏ from Reader's Digest Canada (cawebadmin@readersdigest.ca)

The body of the email:
XXXXX XX you may want to give this matter your full attention. This message was sent to you at XXXX@XXXXXXX.COM to ensure you have enough time to act. The Prize award process is on schedule and ready to start.
It
Share:
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2004
7629 posts
97251 upvotes
Port Moody
It's legit but your odds of winning are not great.

It's just like the 649 tonight. How many people are going to buy a ticket, probably between 5 to 10 million people across Canada will. And how many people will win? 1-5 winning tickets. It's just odds.

It's just a way to get you to read their info about their books or magazines. And hopefully you will sign up to receive them. It's just like PCH same thing. It's a price of doing business. You can get a entry into the main sweeps without buying anything. But you almost always have to buy the extra book to be entered into the bonus draw for a new car or extra cash. If you enter this contest you will have better odds then the 649. But the odds are winning are still pretty high.

And I get 2 or 3 direct snail mail from them each year.

But I know one person here has won I think $20,000 from RD.

Just remember that is one person on this board and how many people are here.
Good Luck to every RFDer's who appreciates the time I take to post contests on this board. My Website

I have been Thanked with the Thank You Button 90,000 Times and counting on April 18/12.

1000's of Air Miles earned by RFD members from Safeway with help from my thread for Bonus Airmiles.
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
-
I got this by snail mail about 3 days ago, they are prompting me to fill this booklet with stickers and claim I have already "won" $71,000. How could I have won if I am not subcribed to them nor do I have ever entered a contest :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2007
4048 posts
602 upvotes
ya simo8, I received it as well in email form a few times now,last time i started to go thru the process and it wanted me to buy in the end but i never did .Figures if I am getting them they gotta be a hoax.Just removed my addy from their addy book.
Bring on 2017.....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1014 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the responses guys. I will remove myself as well :p
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2265 posts
64 upvotes
My husband NEVER buys the product they are trying to sell. He has been filling out those forms (now he gets the e-mails) for at least as long as we have been married (10 years, though it was doing it long before we got married). When I see the e-mails in our inbox, I delete them. If he catches them he sends them in.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2006
2211 posts
Toronto, Ontario
just got a letter saying i am in the remaining "2% to win 500k". My question is how can Reader's Digest afford to make these stupid contests that don't actually attract subscribers to its periodical mags, in fact looking at their annual report for 2008, they've been losing money the last 5 years, with 2008 at 500k net loss (coincidence?).

Im betting the grand prize is won every 2-3 years instead of every year just to attract interest while keeping their coffers from being emptied.

the smaller prizes are probably the only legit prizes.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
2328 posts
7 upvotes
Does anyone actually read this drivel?
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1376 posts
1 upvote
Burlington, ON
abu_sme wrote:
Jul 17th, 2009 2:33 am
I thought he lived in Alberta. Did he post somewhere that he won?
Yes, he lives in Alberta now, but is a Sask. native. And yes, he did in fact post that it was him.
"Happiness is a good martini, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman, or a bad woman, depending on how much happiness you can stand" - George Burns
× < >