Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
ZenOps wrote:
Aug 31st, 2009 7:44 pm
Reader's Digest is bankrupt.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/id ... 7B20090817

$1.6 billion in debt. They had no choice. Anything from Readers digest is a pure scam now.
From Reuters link:
[...]
The Chapter 11 filing will apply only to the company's U.S. businesses. Operations in Canada, Latin America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia-New Zealand will not be affected.
[...]
The scam may be done for in the 'States, but they'll still be alive and kickin' right here at home. :lol:

Edit: Is it wrong that I laughed after realizing that Reader's Digest (and likely the scam-esque Sweepstakes, as well) are also run in Africa? The only way it could be funnier is if RD's African headquarters was in Nigeria.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2001
4486 posts
58 upvotes
Calgary
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the sweepstakes were all based on the US holdings.

Which means you will still be able to buy the magazine - but you won't win anything ever again (for good reason - they are billions in debt)
A US nickel is worth more than 5 cents.
Jan 15, 2007
144 posts
25 upvotes
I got the letter too, looks like i may have won 500k too! how thrilling and exciting...anyways.
No problems with continuing with the charade of responding to their letters as long as they don't start asking you for your SIN # or to cash cheques they've given you and to then send them a cheque to pay for "taxes" and other "fees" to administer the prize to you...also ALWAYS read the fine print to ensure you're not getting yourself into a subscription for some magazine that will cost you $$$. Basically, as long as you don't give them info they don't already have and don't send them cheques and don't subscribe to anything, worse that can happen to you is waste 54 cents on a stamp...best that can happen...500k. :lol:
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1958 upvotes
My cat won too but she wouldn't take me to Montreal with her. :cry:

They will send you a number of these including an itinerary for the trip to Montreal. Have you signed up to Columbia House in the last few years? I think that is where they got my cat's name since she belongs to Columbia House.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
beerbaron105 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2009 7:26 pm
bah they already have it
However, if you keep ignoring it, they will stop.
ZenOps wrote:
Aug 31st, 2009 7:44 pm
Reader's Digest is bankrupt.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/id ... 7B20090817

$1.6 billion in debt. They had no choice. Anything from Readers digest is a pure scam now.
US company files chapter 11 and not the companies in the rest of the world.
Filing Chapter 11 does not mean the company is not running.
ZenOps wrote:
Aug 31st, 2009 8:15 pm
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the sweepstakes were all based on the US holdings.

Which means you will still be able to buy the magazine - but you won't win anything ever again (for good reason - they are billions in debt)
You cannot operate a sweepstakes in Canada without registering with the government and without enough backing of the prize especially when Quebec is involved. BTW, there is Reader's Digest Canada and the articles written in Canadian version of Reader's Digest magazine (including jokes) are mainly about Canada.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Mar 12, 2009
158 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary
its a complete scam, for two years I subscribed to RD, bought books, magazines and what not, everytime they will promise u that u r in the top 1% eligible list to win the sweepstake, the only thing I got free is a cheap pen :mad:
BlackJays

I look at the office fridge the same way I do the menu in a restaurant.
If people are stupid enough to leave their food there unguarded, I feel almost obligated to try and teach them a lesson. Not to mention I'm getting a free meal in the process.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
I was told I would win a "mystery prize" for signing up for a trial book membership or something.

Signed up,got the free trial book (which was lousy) and the prize was $1.00

still haven't cashed it yet....,lol
Sep 13, 2009
1 posts
BC
i got the thing in the mail too and im in canada. u dont win the money right away u have to send in your package with the cheque look a like thing a long with the envelope for the car(that is if u got the exact same number to win the car) just wondering did everyone win the car part because if we all did this is fake.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
Pepp.204204 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2009 9:22 pm
i got the thing in the mail too and im in canada. u dont win the money right away u have to send in your package with the cheque look a like thing a long with the envelope for the car(that is if u got the exact same number to win the car) just wondering did everyone win the car part because if we all did this is fake.
Most people do not read the material at all. They just go into blue box directly most of the time.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4674 posts
48 upvotes
Local
I got that in the mail a few months back too. It came in a thick envelope. And had a huge printout of cheques. Lots of them. Honestly what a waste of........
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2498 posts
37 upvotes
Milton
Once the fine print said I must purchase a subscription to Readers Digest I was done lol :D
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2344 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
checm8 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2009 1:19 am
its a complete scam, for two years I subscribed to RD, bought books, magazines and what not, everytime they will promise u that u r in the top 1% eligible list to win the sweepstake, the only thing I got free is a cheap pen :mad:
Tell that to Spidey.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=591105
(amazing what the search function can do)

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
Feb 26, 2008
154 posts
35 upvotes
On a related note...I get these kind of mail atleast once a day...I'm being targeted for scam mail :mad: they sent one registered also and I had to sign for it....
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
75557 posts
1537 upvotes
Medicine Hat, AB
It is signed by Marisa Orsini
"Prize Award Administrator"

Thats the lady that I talked to and signbed my $27,500 cheque a few years ago.
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/thin ... on-166920/
TOTAL WINNINGS TO DATE = $99,719.87
× < >