• Apr 30th, 2011 2:14 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Jun 16, 2010
563 posts
86 upvotes

Reading Difficulties

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here we go.

I've been experiencing serious reading difficulties of late all of a sudden. The main symptoms I'm experiencing are;

- Going back and re-reading pretty much every sentence I come across.
- Reading but not recognizing the meaning of words, the idea of sentences and the main theme of an article, book, etc
- Forgetting what I read immediately after finishing reading (sometimes I would understand the content while reading in that moment, but forget everything as soon as I finish reading that sentence).

It's gotten to a point where I literally feel like I can't read anything. I want to be able to read smoothly while maintaining comprehension, memory, and recognizing the theme of the reading content. I'm wondering if anyone knows how I should approach this. I should mention that English is my second language, though I did attend a university in Canada for my bachelor's and masters. I was a voracious reader as a child in my native tongue, but reading in English has never been my strong point. The symptoms have occurred pretty much overnight in the last year or so and come and go; for instance, I would have no trouble reading the paper or a book one day and the next day I can't finish reading a single paragraph in the same book or paper.

Thanks in advance.
9 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
mjpark wrote: I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here we go.

I've been experiencing serious reading difficulties of late all of a sudden. The main symptoms I'm experiencing are;

- Going back and re-reading pretty much every sentence I come across.
- Reading but not recognizing the meaning of words, the idea of sentences and the main theme of an article, book, etc
- Forgetting what I read immediately after finishing reading (sometimes I would understand the content while reading in that moment, but forget everything as soon as I finish reading that sentence).

It's gotten to a point where I literally feel like I can't read anything. I want to be able to read smoothly while maintaining comprehension, memory, and recognizing the theme of the reading content. I'm wondering if anyone knows how I should approach this. I should mention that English is my second language, though I did attend a university in Canada for my bachelor's and masters. I was a voracious reader as a child in my native tongue, but reading in English has never been my strong point. The symptoms have occurred pretty much overnight in the last year or so and come and go; for instance, I would have no trouble reading the paper or a book one day and the next day I can't finish reading a single paragraph in the same book or paper.

Thanks in advance.

How fast do you read?
What's your state of mind?
Are you relaxed?

On rare occasions I can find myself forgetting an entire page of what I just finished reading because I'm not concentrated enough, there's too much noise, anxiety, stress, etc.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Apr 7, 2011
136 posts
5 upvotes
You're on the path to dementia - you should definitely get checked.
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
102 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
Go to your doctor and get a referral to a neurologist. People here eat food purchased from Dollarama, this is not the place to get advice about brain health.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
3333 posts
1227 upvotes
Toronto
so what became of your situation mjpark if I may ask?
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
Troy_McClure wrote: so what became of your situation mjpark if I may ask?

What situation? :)
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Nov 1, 2005
192 posts
28 upvotes
see a dr. you may need to see a neurologist or psychiatrist

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)