• Jun 21st, 2018 8:31 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 1, 2009
303 posts
102 upvotes
West coast

Real Bezelless Phones

When the xiaomi mi mix (1 and 2) came out in the market (but with a weird placement on the front camera) they started a wave of "bezel-less" designs. Now I'm not counting phones with the notch as bezelless.

With the recent introduction of the vivo apex and now the doogee mix 4, are there people getting excited about these models?

Which would you rather have, the pop up front camera off the vivo apex? Or the slider version to reveal the front camera off the doogee mix 4?

I know that there hasn't been a working model shown by doogee but this is the innovative part of phone designs that gets me excited.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3116 posts
432 upvotes
GTA
These are like those amazing prototype cars that come out at autoshows to showcase what the company could build but can't due to costs, so yes they're great but a pipe dream so far.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1499 posts
388 upvotes
shabby wrote:
May 6th, 2018 9:41 am
These are like those amazing prototype cars that come out at autoshows to showcase what the company could build but can't due to costs, so yes they're great but a pipe dream so far.
Isn't a real bezelless phone at increased risk of shattering the screen if it falls wrong way?

Seein how often I drop my phones on hard surfaces,
I'd rather have some sort of bezel around, even better two, a metallic frame, and a soft one, like from a protector case.
Dec 4, 2017
346 posts
116 upvotes
I appreciate that these efforts will bring about phones with smaller bodies, because most on the market are just too big to be easily pocketable in anything less than a winter jacket. I want my phones to be discreet when carried in a front trouser or jacket breast pocket. The problem is getting so bad that belt holsters are making a bit of a comeback.

However, adding moving parts, adding thickness and fragility, is not the way to go here. I'd rather see a notch or other innovation. Even a smaller screen would be preferable. Frankly, just being impressed by thin bezels carries less weight for me than avoiding inadvertent screen touches while just handling the device. I'd rather have modest bezels, at least on the sides. For me, phone handset size and shape (medium size, round corners and curved back) hit its ideal around 2013 with the original Moto G. I'd rather see current technology in that package. I know three people who moved from Android to Apple just because of the iPhone SE.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1028 posts
931 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I would rather prefer slight top and bottom bezels for proper front facing speakers. Also, it will allow for slightly larger body allowing bigger batteries. I am still riddled by these companies putting tiny batteries on flagship phones, looks to be intentional imo. I mean look at LG G7, 6.1" 3K display and 3000 mAh battery. G6 had 3300, P20 Pro has 4000 mAh, U11+ has 3900 mAh etc etc on similar sizes.
Koodo $40 8GB
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1499 posts
388 upvotes
IanBrantford wrote:
May 6th, 2018 10:16 am
I appreciate that these efforts will bring about phones with smaller bodies, because most on the market are just too big to be easily pocketable in anything less than a winter jacket. I want my phones to be discreet when carried in a front trouser or jacket breast pocket. The problem is getting so bad that belt holsters are making a bit of a comeback.

However, adding moving parts, adding thickness and fragility, is not the way to go here. I'd rather see a notch or other innovation. Even a smaller screen would be preferable. Frankly, just being impressed by thin bezels carries less weight for me than avoiding inadvertent screen touches while just handling the device. I'd rather have modest bezels, at least on the sides. For me, phone handset size and shape (medium size, round corners and curved back) hit its ideal around 2013 with the original Moto G. I'd rather see current technology in that package. I know three people who moved from Android to Apple just because of the iPhone SE.
I still have a fully functioning Moto G LTE from that epoch :), but now it feels ... minuscule ...
" ... really small, you know, microscopic, hardly anyone would be able to see it" (C) Mr. Bean) :)

I'd rather stick now with my good solid 6.4" modern "bricks".
The majority of time a person spends on the phone these days is not for voice calling,
but rather typing something in, browsing internet, watching something video-ish etc..
So, the bigger screen, the better.

An my pockets are deep enough to house a 6.4" phone :)
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1499 posts
388 upvotes
SureshA720227 wrote:
May 6th, 2018 10:48 am
I would rather prefer slight top and bottom bezels for proper front facing speakers. Also, it will allow for slightly larger body allowing bigger batteries. I am still riddled by these companies putting tiny batteries on flagship phones, looks to be intentional imo. I mean look at LG G7, 6.1" 3K display and 3000 mAh battery. G6 had 3300, P20 Pro has 4000 mAh, U11+ has 3900 mAh etc etc on similar sizes.
yeah, for a cellphone, an HD (720p) screen and ~4000+ mAh battery is the optimal combination.
One does not need those super-duper-pooper-HD resolutions on a screen that is less than 7",
but the battery that lasts over a day is clearly a major comfort.
Dec 4, 2017
346 posts
116 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
May 6th, 2018 12:03 pm
The majority of time a person spends on the phone these days is not for voice calling,
but rather typing something in, browsing internet, watching something video-ish etc..
So, the bigger screen, the better.
Conclusion does not follow from data! :-) Having tried larger screens, I just did not get a significantly better experience from screens in the 4-4.5" range. All actions and the amount of information on the screen didn't change that much, nor did usability. In contrast, a bigger computer workstation screen enables me to use more windows, or apps with more complex menus more easily. Now, give me a folding or multi-screen phone, and we can talk about progress.

In contrast, I can ALMOST make effective use of my Android phone that has a 2.4" screen. It has two levels of bezel, and it would be far more useful if they'd had a 2.8" screen and skipped the inner bezel. I'm sure that they had limits to contend with on available screens that fit, power, and budget.

https://www.gsmarena.com/posh_micro_x_s240-7493.php
An my pockets are deep enough to house a 6.4" phone :)
Sure, but can people tell that it's there? I like clothes that fit and that don't present unsightly bulges. I'm not alone in this, given the popularity of the iPhone SE (though it's hard rear edges don't help). I've had several phones the size of a small stack of credit cards.

Anyway, I'm all for more phones taking design cues from Essential. It's about 1.5 cm shorter than my current Moto G5 Plus. It's just that the bezels don't have to be so thin as to compromise useability (accidental touchscreen actions just by holding the thing with fingers around edges) or longevity (moving parts as in Vivo Apex or Doogee Mix 4).
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3116 posts
432 upvotes
GTA
Tichi wrote:
May 6th, 2018 9:59 am
Isn't a real bezelless phone at increased risk of shattering the screen if it falls wrong way?

Seein how often I drop my phones on hard surfaces,
I'd rather have some sort of bezel around, even better two, a metallic frame, and a soft one, like from a protector case.
You do realize that the screen doesn't break, its the glass that breaks, and every phone has glass going to the edge even the first iphone.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17421 posts
1616 upvotes
Woodbridge
I don't really care because phones like the Essential are good enough.

My issue and I'm sure majority agree with me is why are companies obsessed with making them THINNER to the point we're stuck at 3,000-4,000mAh batteries.

FML
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5392 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
bembol wrote:
May 6th, 2018 4:42 pm
I don't really care because phones like the Essential are good enough.

My issue and I'm sure majority agree with me is why are companies obsessed with making them THINNER to the point we're stuck at 3,000-4,000mAh batteries.

FML
higher batteries = more weight? maybe there is a new battery technology in the making?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1499 posts
388 upvotes
shabby wrote:
May 6th, 2018 2:52 pm
You do realize that the screen doesn't break, its the glass that breaks, and every phone has glass going to the edge even the first iphone.
sure it is glass, but if there is for example even a tiny gap between metallic frame and screen glass (certainly manufacturers have this idea implemented for a long time!) ,
that would dampen the impact force, besides, if there is an additional soft case protector layer outside, it would ease the impact even further...
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16117 posts
6175 upvotes
Oakville
For me, I'd much rather have "bezelless" with a notch, than have some kind of easy-to-break mechanism to bring out the front camera. Or, even better, go REALLY outrageous and just ditch the selfie camera entirely, since the VAST majority of my photos are using the back camera any way.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Dec 4, 2017
346 posts
116 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
May 10th, 2018 2:47 pm
For me, I'd much rather have "bezelless" with a notch, than have some kind of easy-to-break mechanism to bring out the front camera. Or, even better, go REALLY outrageous and just ditch the selfie camera entirely, since the VAST majority of my photos are using the back camera any way.
+1. Early camera phones with a modern form factor had just the rear camera, plus sometimes a tiny mirror for aiming selfies (example: Samsung Blackjack). It worked fine as long as you didn't need to mess with camera settings. I see no reason why a modern smartphone couldn't have a 2" mirror to perform this function now. For special phones that fold or have an auxiliary screen, there is a live alternative, such as is already done with the ZTE Axon M.
[OP]
Oct 1, 2009
303 posts
102 upvotes
West coast
I like the innovation that these two examples provided. Phone designs became stagnant and boring.
I don't mind a thicker phone if it means longer lasting batteries. Heck I see people tethering their phones to a power bank the whole day which I think is pretty dumb.
A lot of speculation about how this Design will break easily like they already know the material and design that these companies will use. What I do see is people are stuck with brand recognition. As long as this big company hasn't produced it, it must be of lower quality.