Expired Hot Deals

[Real Canadian Superstore] Aunt Jemima Pancakes and Syrup .97c after coupons YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 6:17 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15915 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
You grow up with a certain taste, you like a certain taste. In my household, the real maple syrup is still sitting on the shelf, waiting to be used.

Already bought into this deal earlier this week lol
RedFlagDeals addict
Jun 18, 2016
207 posts
453 upvotes
If you buy Aunt Jemima syrup you deserve to have your Canadian card revoked.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4004 posts
4205 upvotes
Toronto, ON
At least they labelled it "Table Syrup". The only thing it's good for is to give it to the kids so they can spill it all over the table. This is not intended for human consumption and would be a waste of your pancakes.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
4459 posts
1537 upvotes
The best pancake mix is at Costco!!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2885 posts
942 upvotes
Montreal
please don't buy Aunt Jemima / table syrup

it's pure, total, absolute crap... made from high-fructose corn syrup, it's the fast way to diabetes

get the good stuff, REAL maple syrup! Not only this will encourage local Canadian producers, your body will thank you.

edit: of course, maple syrup is still sugar so use sparingly
Last edited by marc_t on Jan 8th, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8723 posts
1261 upvotes
Victoria
I grew up on this stuff. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I finally had maple syrup. There's no going back. No contest :) One of those big $10 bottles from Costco lasts us quite the while.
Nov 21, 2009
375 posts
168 upvotes
Moncton
grayhal wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 3:14 am
It's pure sugar. Very very bad for you. Not maple syrup. Real thing cost like $10-15 bucks.
marc_t wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 9:50 am
please don't buy Aunt Jemima / table syrup

it's pure, total, absolute crap... made from high-fructose corn syrup, it's the fast way to diabetes

get the good stuff, REAL maple syrup! Not only this will encourage local Canadian producers, your body will thank you.
Whether or not you consume tree blood, bee spit or ground up sugar cane, it's all sugar. Your body will not thank you any more eating one versus the other; it's junk food. Enjoy it for what it is, a flavoring.
Felix15 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 5:44 am
A Canadian who posts a deal on fake Maple Syrup should be ashamed of themselves! LOL!!
I used to think that but real maple syrup is too watery and too strong for some things. My wife makes amazing French toast using cinnamon and vanilla; maple syrup really clashes with those two ingredients and it makes the toast way too soggy (French toast already leans that way to begin with).

BTW, thanks OP. It's a great deal even at $1.97 since my local Superstore usually has the Aunt Jemima for $3.49.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
4093 posts
1493 upvotes
Global Village
I have had the same AJ syrup in the cupboard for over 10 years and it still tastes the same. Does this stuff ever go bad?
All day I dream about sports
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10555 posts
10626 upvotes
scoper wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:25 am
I have had the same AJ syrup in the cupboard for over 10 years and it still tastes the same. Does this stuff ever go bad?
I believe it comes with a preservative filler, but I'm not sure if it's listed on ingredients.

Sugar is a fast-release carbohydrate, this is loaded with it. It will compromise your health if consumed in persistent excess (diabetes, metabolic syndrome, heart disease, etc.).
Mar 22, 2017
571 posts
448 upvotes
scoper wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:25 am
Typically, stuff this sweet on its own would never go bad (from micro-organisms, UV light and oxidation is a different story), since the amount of sugar would literally rip the water out of micro-organisms and they'd die. The issue with this is that any evaporation and condensation at the top of the bottle could stratify the goop so that you get a watery layer on top, which micro-organisms could live on. If you don't get that (and typically you'd get that if you take it in and out of the fridge, leave it in the sun, etc) then it'll probably last forever.
Sep 10, 2017
140 posts
120 upvotes
When I was younger I used to always make my own sugar syrup. Equal parts water, white sugar, and brown sugar, boil for a bit and cool, good to store for a month or so. Id always throw it on the stove before prepping pancake batter, and it's ready to go when your pancakes are made (as long as your okay with leaving your pan outside in the snow to cool)

Tastes just as good as aunt Jemima in my opinion, a lot cheaper, and no preservatives or arifitical colours.

A 750ml bottle of aunt Jemima has 400g total of sugar, which is about 40c worth (sugar costs about $1/kg, often cheaper).
Savings: 86% (from regular price of $3)
Nov 21, 2009
375 posts
168 upvotes
Moncton
bipster wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:56 am
When I was younger I used to always make my own sugar syrup. Equal parts water, white sugar, and brown sugar, boil for a bit and cool, good to store for a month or so. Id always throw it on the stove before prepping pancake batter, and it's ready to go when your pancakes are made (as long as your okay with leaving your pan outside in the snow to cool)

Tastes just as good as aunt Jemima in my opinion, a lot cheaper, and no preservatives or arifitical colours.

A 750ml bottle of aunt Jemima has 400g total of sugar, which is about 40c worth (sugar costs about $1/kg, often cheaper).
That's essentially what 'golden syrup' is (well minus the brown sugar) and is what the British use by the boatload. We make it all the time since a lot of their recipes call for it and it's almost impossible to buy here. You're right, it's super cheap.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10555 posts
10626 upvotes
bipster wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:56 am

I appreciate the diligence, but how much is your labor worth? These sound like tips and tricks from the depressionary 30s.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6511 posts
3394 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Trottier wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 11:13 pm
Mother-in-law for dinner?
Thanks for making me throw up in my mouth a little bit. :rolleyes: