Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Real Canadian Superstore

It's Back - AAA PRIME RIB $4.77/LB

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2018 2:29 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1074 posts
744 upvotes
Pickering

[Real Canadian Superstore] It's Back - AAA PRIME RIB $4.77/LB

As per new flyer preview.

March 29th - April 1st only

Cap off and cut from Canada AAA or USDA Choice.

Previous 30+ page thread last time deal was offered - real-canadian-superstore-aaa-prime-rib-4-77-lb-2156019/

I bought this last time and it turned out great. For those that are concerned, it wasn't mechanically tenderized unlike the Walmart roasts currently on sale for the same price.

I use the Serious Eats Method to prepare it

Here is the full article http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the- ... me-rib.html

• What I do is cook in oven at 200°F until meat is at desired temp, thermometer is key for this method as you're going by temp, not cooking time.
  • remove and let rest for about 30 mins
  • put back in 500°F oven for 10 mins
  • take out, slice and serve immediately

crispy crust, no grey band, nice and juicy!
176 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7673 posts
10975 upvotes
Scarbs
The level of excitement I'm feeling right now is about the same as a price error post.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1290 posts
720 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I still have some in the freezer from the last sale... damn it
Jun 2, 2008
15 posts
5 upvotes
Grimsby, Ontario
WOOHOO! I got a few last time too. Low and slow is the best way
Jul 11, 2009
853 posts
887 upvotes
Toronto
Metro also has prime rib for $ 4.88 / lb on Thursday & Saturday only with the looks of it from their flyer includes the cap. if it does, way better value than RCSS.

Flipp Flyer Item
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3943 upvotes
Milton, ON.
I find the Loblaws tenderloin a much better buy but.... this aint too bad either.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
4413 posts
1557 upvotes
is Walmart mechanically tenderized a bad thing?

Honestly don't know
and WM is a lot closer to me than RCSS, so asking for lazy reasons, too
Ebay - 340 - 0 - 0 | Heatware - 56 - 00 - 0
BST Feedback - 82 - 0 - 0 | Grailed - 126 - 0 - 0
Poshmark and Styleforum Feedback as well
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
I'm considering consuming less meat...
Trying to resist this deal. Need to consume less...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7061 posts
3373 upvotes
goat wrote: is Walmart mechanically tenderized a bad thing?

Honestly don't know
and WM is a lot closer to me than RCSS, so asking for lazy reasons, too
1) inside of meat penetrated by contaminated needles (contaminated because it touched the outer side of the raw meat with bacteria) pushes the bacteria inside of the meat, meaning you have to cook the meat inside to temperatures far exceeding that of medium rare and closer to medium or well-done. You don't want to do this with Prime Rib, unless you're dumb Trump

2) Prime Rib is the most tender of meats, why would you need to tenderise it in the first place? Begs the question what is wrong with the meat that needs the supplier to take all the time and trouble to do this. Do you see high end steak houses doing this? No.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7061 posts
3373 upvotes
Loblaws might be selling this for a whole week. Should be identical or in an off chance maybe better than RCSS.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
4413 posts
1557 upvotes
badOne wrote: 1) inside of meat penetrated by contaminated needles (contaminated because it touched the outer side of the raw meat with bacteria) pushes the bacteria inside of the meat, meaning you have to cook the meat inside to temperatures far exceeding that of medium rare and closer to medium or well-done. You don't want to do this with Prime Rib, unless you're dumb Trump

2) Prime Rib is the most tender of meats, why would you need to tenderise it in the first place? Begs the question what is wrong with the meat that needs the supplier to take all the time and trouble to do this. Do you see high end steak houses doing this? No.

Valid points. thank you.
Ebay - 340 - 0 - 0 | Heatware - 56 - 00 - 0
BST Feedback - 82 - 0 - 0 | Grailed - 126 - 0 - 0
Poshmark and Styleforum Feedback as well
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1074 posts
744 upvotes
Pickering
badOne wrote: Loblaws might be selling this for a whole week. Should be identical or in an off chance maybe better than RCSS.
Indeed, I see it in the flyer for the week but price is showing as $8.99/lb at Loblaws
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
I like cap on myself, but some people dont
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7061 posts
3373 upvotes
I find the methods that require 500F for around 10 mins to destroy the cap and make it very chewy because the cap becomes badly overcooked, while the rest of the meat is very tender.

The cap meat is the top 1-3 cuts of the cow. There is a restaurant in Vegas that removes the cap from the Prime Rib and rolls the cap into spiral steak to be cut up and served to customers. Personally if I get the cap and plan to use method x where the Prime Rib is cooked for 500F, I would remove the cap to be pan fried for another meal.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2014
1746 posts
3106 upvotes
Calgary, AB
nom nom nom
Pro tip - If you can't stop thinking about it ....BUY IT !
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
last time I cut them into 1" slabs and used them as steaks thru the winter. Amazing.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1596 posts
541 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely stocking up on this, the price to quality ratio is amazing, came out amazing roasted in the oven low and slow or pan fried as steaks
Mar 9, 2015
234 posts
102 upvotes
Aldergrove, BC
When you freeze yours how do you thaw it? I froze one last time but when I thawed it seemed a bit off (like the outside thawed faster than the middle) and had a off smell.

Ended up cooking it for the dog
Dec 19, 2006
875 posts
901 upvotes
Vancouver
whatyoulookinatbud wrote: whats the difference between cap on and cap off?
The cap refers to the fat cap that sits on top of the rib roast. It's a fairly large chunk of fat with some meat inside, one piece of which is the rib cap meat. This piece of meat is highly sought after as a steak because it tends to have some of the best marbling, thus flavor.
However, most of the time you don't want to roast a prime rib with the fat cap on because the fat will prevent you from getting a nice crust on your roast and nobody would actually eat that piece of fat, so most butchers and grocery stores trim that off.
You can request for a roast with the cap on usually and use the excess fat for things like gravy or hamburger meat if you're so inclined