• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2017 2:17 pm
[OP]
May 11, 2015
145 posts
192 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Real Canadian Superstore] [SuperStore] PowerBar Protein Plus Bars

In SuperStore, I have noticed that most of the PowerBar Protein Plus Bars are marked down from $2.98 to $0.98. I encourage you to keep an eye out for expiration date, as some I notice are expiring within the next month (and these actually have an additional 30% off, so it is less than $0.70 per bar then). These bars have anywhere from 20 to 30 grams of carbohydrates per bar with 20 grams of protein. They do have a maximum of 15 limit for that price, but I have gotten away with buying 15 per transaction and going to re-buy on another transaction for the same price.

Have gotten chocolate peanut butter, vanilla yogurt, lemon poppy seed, chocolate brownie, caramel nut brownie and cookies and cream. Some SuperStores have more flavors than others.

They also have the Triple Threat bars with less protein (12 grams per bar) for the same price.

They are a bit tougher to eat as they do use soy protein (thicker and drier in my opinion). I would eat with some water, but those who use soy protein on and off should not mind them. Taste is decent to me.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pow/protplus.html
9 replies
Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
2797 posts
299 upvotes
Soy protein isolate will be the death of you imo
[highlight]__RFD iTrader:_______76|||0[/highlight]
[highlight]___HEATWARE:______16|||0[/highlight]
[highlight]_____EBAY:_______142|||0[/highlight]
[OP]
May 11, 2015
145 posts
192 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Could you share your thoughts behind that?
Nov 2, 2012
480 posts
341 upvotes
Winnipeg
That is a good price, but the ingredient profile is terrible. It's almost entirely soy and sugars.

Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
2797 posts
299 upvotes
FoodieEd wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 12:36 am
Could you share your thoughts behind that?
Shouldve quoted me so I get the notification. A few things that you can research I'll include below for you to further research on your own to give you an idea:

"-- Soy foods are rich in aluminum, which is toxic to the body and has seriously negative effects the kidneys and the nervous system, and it’s been linked to Alzheimer’s disease.
-- Soy is rich in plant estrogens known as phytoestrogens, which disrupt endocrine function and causes infertility and breast cancer in women.
-Soybeans are loaded with toxins that affect estrogen levels, so the consumption of 2 glasses daily greatly alter the hormones in a woman’s body, disrupting the menstrual cycle.
-- Soy contains toxic isoflavones – genistein and daidzein, which trigger the growth of existing breast cancer.
-- Soybeans and soy products are rich in phytic acid, which inhibits the assimilation of zinc, copper, calcium, magnesium, and iron.
-Soy foods are rich in goitrogens which inhibit the production of thyroid hormones.
-- Soybeans are rich in haemagglutinin, which is a clot-promoting substance that makes red blood cells to clump together.
-Nitrates, which are potent carcinogens, are formed during the spray-drying process.
-Approximately 99% of soy is genetically modified, so it is extremely high in pesticides.
-- During the process of production of soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein, the fragile soy proteins are exposed to high temperatures, which makes them harmful for human digestion."
[highlight]__RFD iTrader:_______76|||0[/highlight]
[highlight]___HEATWARE:______16|||0[/highlight]
[highlight]_____EBAY:_______142|||0[/highlight]
May 11, 2014
54 posts
17 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Are clif bars better? I think you can get them at Costco at less than $1 each.
Mar 24, 2005
332 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
snowbrush wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 12:49 pm
20-ish g of sugar per Cliff bar depending on flavor.
Taste is not bad, but the sugar content is why.
Also only 9g of protein, so yes higher than a chocolate candy bar, but doesn't' compare to other affordable protein bar options.

Far better to stick to the Kirkland Signature box of bars they sell. I think they have maybe 1g sugar, 9g fiber and 21g protein per bar and only ~$1 a bar.
Mar 13, 2005
224 posts
51 upvotes
snowbrush wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 12:49 pm
Clif bars are great to take along for active sports (cycling, running, hiking, etc...). They have carbs for energy, are easily digested and are relatively low in fat. The ingredients are mostly natural too.

I wouldn't be too concerned about protein. Protein is used to repair muscles after activity, not for energy. Unless you're into strength training, you don't need much. I do about 1-2hrs of cycling or running nearly every day (https://www.strava.com/athletes/9486937) and I haven't eaten a protein bar in years. 50 grams/day is probably more than adequate for the average guy.