Expired Hot Deals

[Real Canadian Superstore] Sylvania LED light bulbs 12 pack 8.5 watt 800 lumen 2700K YMMV $5.94

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2018 10:55 am
Tags:
None
Oct 4, 2008
885 posts
131 upvotes
That's pretty crazy. I find 3500 amazing, 3000 ok, and 2700 way way too warm.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
1865 posts
1245 upvotes
darkesha wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 11:07 pm
That's pretty crazy. I find 3500 amazing, 3000 ok, and 2700 way way too warm.
I actually informally investigated this (I find 2700K ideal) with some colleagues and my truly unscientifically produced theory was there is the a cultural element.

For the people that felt the "colder" colours were better their explanation was where they grew up, from a time before they were alive, fluorescent lighting (colder lighting) at home meant you were more affluent, while "warmer" light meant you were less affluent (used only a few incandescent lights, or candles).

For the people that felt the "warmer" colours were better they correlated the "cold" colour temps as being at work or at school (fluorescent lighting), while at home growing up they always used incandescent lighting.

It was an interesting distinction, and if there is any truth to it something I think most people don't realize.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
656 posts
114 upvotes
Richmond
repatch wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 6:37 pm
This is a "blowout" price (not sure why you say it isn't).
it was on an endcap with no blowout signs. my store also has a blowout section, and these weren't in it
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
656 posts
114 upvotes
Richmond
repatch wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 7:46 am
I actually informally investigated this (I find 2700K ideal) with some colleagues and my truly unscientifically produced theory was there is the a cultural element.
i get the aspect of liking better what you grew up with (ie did you grow up with CFL's or incandescents) but the affluence factor I'm not understanding!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2697 posts
1799 upvotes
Doesn't say dimmable, so probably isn't.

Also the last time I checked RCSS in BC was still incorrectly charging a "hazardous materials" enviro-tax on LED bulbs that was only supposed to apply to flourescent (mercury content).
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
1865 posts
1245 upvotes
emmpeethree wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 9:54 am
it was on an endcap with no blowout signs. my store also has a blowout section, and these weren't in it
Ahh, my store doesn't post a "blowout" sign (at least I've never seen one), I just assume it's one when the price ends as that one does.

Sorry about that.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
1865 posts
1245 upvotes
emmpeethree wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 9:55 am
i get the aspect of liking better what you grew up with (ie did you grow up with CFL's or incandescents) but the affluence factor I'm not understanding!
The explanation I got is that colder light means you have the money to actually power those lights, while "poor" people used candles (or one lowly incandescent bulb), and nobody wants to neighborhood to think you're poor.

Again, this was something that existed before my colleagues were born, but it was a "tradition" that persisted. In the end they grew up with everybody choosing colder colour temperature lighting, and it's what they're used to, it's what's "normal" to them. :)

Similarly I grew up with all lighting at home being incandescent (except for the kitchen, which was fluorescent) since there were no CFL bulbs available, and higher colour temp incandescent bulbs were way more expensive and didn't last as long. So for me "normal" is 2700K.

It's a moot point since I prefer no light, whatever the colour temp. Dark room with the TV on, that's me! :)
Jul 31, 2015
617 posts
275 upvotes
AB
darkesha wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 10:46 pm
I find 2700k being way too much yellow. I went to a friend's place who has some smart LET potlights where he can change temperature between 2700k - 6500k and we both agree 3500k is by far the best temperature. Enough warmth to let you know it's night, and enough white to be bright. The yellow cast typically asks for more lumens in order for our eyes to strain less.
When I did my potlights project I was able to find 3000k but I wish I was able to find 3500.
I agree I like around 3500, but tend to only find 3000k at most. Bedrooms I still go with 2700k but bathrooms and kitchen, living room I like in the 3k range. Been buying more LIFX and hue bulbs to have the variable temp capability
Oct 4, 2008
885 posts
131 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 7:46 am

For the people that felt the "colder" colours were better their explanation was where they grew up, from a time before they were alive, fluorescent lighting (colder lighting) at home meant you were more affluent, while "warmer" light meant you were less affluent (used only a few incandescent lights, or candles).

For the people that felt the "warmer" colours were better they correlated the "cold" colour temps as being at work or at school (fluorescent lighting), while at home growing up they always used incandescent lighting.

It was an interesting distinction, and if there is any truth to it something I think most people don't realize.
Well, something is than wrong with me. I grew up with incanc. at home 100% of the time. Same as all of my neighbors. The schools were all fluorescent 100%. Hospitals the same way.
I actually do not like the CFL/Fluorescent light color, I find it way too cold (aka reminding me of schools/hospitals), but given a choice between 2700-3000-35000 the 3500 feels amazing. 3000 feels normal or incandescent and 2700 just seem too yellow.
On the same token, when at my budy's house and under 6500k lights - it felt like day. Not unnatural daylight during night - it felt genuinely like day. All other blue / colder lights felt artifical and "cold light during night" but the 6500 just felt natural. Can't really explain it and it's way more subjective since he didn't have the same feeling.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
1865 posts
1245 upvotes
darkesha wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 11:11 pm
Well, something is than wrong with me. I grew up with incanc. at home 100% of the time. Same as all of my neighbors. The schools were all fluorescent 100%. Hospitals the same way.
I actually do not like the CFL/Fluorescent light color, I find it way too cold (aka reminding me of schools/hospitals), but given a choice between 2700-3000-35000 the 3500 feels amazing. 3000 feels normal or incandescent and 2700 just seem too yellow.
On the same token, when at my budy's house and under 6500k lights - it felt like day. Not unnatural daylight during night - it felt genuinely like day. All other blue / colder lights felt artifical and "cold light during night" but the 6500 just felt natural. Can't really explain it and it's way more subjective since he didn't have the same feeling.
There is no doubt that it's a 100% subjective thing, there's nothing "wrong" with you. But, as with most generalizations, there is SOME basis in fact.

I'm willing to bet many people just don't care, put them in a house with 3500K lighting and another with 2700K lighting and they won't even notice.

It's the same when I hear a movie on TV in Europe and it drives me batty since all the music is shifted up a slight amount. The reason being movies are shot at 24fps. Here in NA we use a pulldown technique (basically adding extra frames) so that the 24fps source material is played back at the ~30fps of our TV system. In Europe, many movies are just sped up slightly, instead of being played back at 24fps they simply play the movie at 25fps. The result is all the sound is shifted up so very slightly. Most people don't notice, but to me it's almost intolerable when I see I movie I really know and like (like Back to The Future) and the music is just "wrong".
Dec 23, 2010
588 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
nice deal but at least 3000k for me or bust. Will pass.
Sep 25, 2009
495 posts
70 upvotes
Woodbridge
Couldn't find any in the two stores I visited in Ontario, so I started searching online, and found the 40pack on sale for $26.99 from living.ca(part of primecables).

https://www.living.ca/p-355325-ro-a19-6 ... #sku376980

Rayonled A19 Dimmable LED Bulb 6W 45W Equivalent E26 3000K Warm White 500 Lumens
Works out to 68 cents per bulb before taxes and shipping. Not sure if they're any good, I've never tried them before, but for the price, I figured I'd try them out.
Today is the last day for the sale.