$400 title search + registration (?)

Is this reasonable ?
No, that's way too high.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Agent and Real Estate Sales Representative
Feb 14, 2017
3 posts
Markham, ON
If you're in the Richmond Hill area, Chak Man Wong was a good choice for me when I bought my condo 5 years ago. Total was around $1000 ($275k purchase price).

I'm purchasing a new Townhouse-condo and needed a lawyer but he was on vacation so I went with Scott M. Cook (http://realestatelawyergta.ca/) in Markham. He has flat rates for purchasing from $1599 which includes everything basically. No extra costs. Title insurance, like many places are extra on anything over $500k. He charges an extra $10 per $10k over $500k. So my total is $1818.17 with tax in. It's quite high but there are no hidden charges afterwards and he is a small firm and will deal with everything personally and promptly says his testimonials. Good for first time home buyers.

I will give you an update on my experience and review him on yelp.
Feb 14, 2017
3 posts
Markham, ON
morpheiz wrote:
Oct 18th, 2016 3:29 pm
Shub just has all their clerks do the work and at the end you spend 2 minutes with Shub

I went with recommendation earlier here with David Lam and was happy with his services for both his knowledge, efficiency and price. It was pretty straight forward and now going to him again for a rental property.
Maybe for real estate but it seems for other legal services David Lam is a crook.

http://www.lawyerratingz.com/reviews/10 ... d-Lam.html
Aug 5, 2011
104 posts
6 upvotes
X24Secret wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 2:14 pm
What's the transaction amount? Is the legal fee all in or + HST?

Unless you are dealing with several million $ transaction or complex mortgage, you should be able to get $1200 all in for legal fees from reputable offices.
Can you provide some names & contacts of lawyers for $1200 in total (includes legal fees, title insurance, disimbursements, govt registration)?
Apr 5, 2017
42 posts
39 upvotes
Hey guys

I'm a real estate lawyer here. I just made the account here today as a client told me about redflagdeals and how he thinks a number of lawyers aren't being transparent with their pricing. If you have any questions shoot me a private message or post here and I'll do my best to help.

I don't think you'll find all in for $1200 including title insurance, registration etc.

The land transfer tax and title insurance depend on the value and type of property. Those fees are standard as we all buy title insurance from the same three main institutions.

We charge $595 for legal fees and generally $645 for disbursements plus HST this includes title insurance up to $500,000. The insurer charges approximately $1 for every $1000 of the purchase price. Always on top of that you have registration costs $75.27 for each instrument (usually transfer and mortgage) and land transfer tax once we take into account any rebates for which you may be eligible.

My firm offers mobile signing too if you need it but the head office is in Mississauga.

Hope that helps!!
Lawyer @ Law Booth Real Estate Lawyers & Notaries
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2233 posts
906 upvotes
lawbooth wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 3:12 pm
Hey guys

I'm a real estate lawyer here. I just made the account here today as a client told me about redflagdeals and how he thinks a number of lawyers aren't being transparent with their pricing. If you have any questions shoot me a private message or post here and I'll do my best to help.

I don't think you'll find all in for $1200 including title insurance, registration etc.

The land transfer tax and title insurance depend on the value and type of property. Those fees are standard as we all buy title insurance from the same three main institutions.

We charge $595 for legal fees and generally $645 for disbursements plus HST this includes title insurance up to $500,000. The insurer charges approximately $1 for every $1000 of the purchase price. Always on top of that you have registration costs $75.27 for each instrument (usually transfer and mortgage) and land transfer tax once we take into account any rebates for which you may be eligible.

My firm offers mobile signing too if you need it but the head office is in Mississauga.

Hope that helps!!
So assuming a purchase price under $500,000. What's the final cost including title insurance, all fees, taxes, etc (except land transfer)?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2148 posts
1027 upvotes
Markham
ArchEnemy wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 3:00 pm
Can you provide some names & contacts of lawyers for $1200 in total (includes legal fees, title insurance, disimbursements, govt registration)?
$1200 total including title insurance?! If you find a lawyer offering this I would check their credentials first cause not even a half decent lawyer would be willing to lose money on a transaction, which is what they would do if they offered that price.

What I said was for GTA, legal fee alone should be between $1000 and no more than $1200 and cover disbursements and HST.

Title insurance and registration are usually extra.
Apr 5, 2017
42 posts
39 upvotes
$1550 for a typical transaction under $500k with one mortgage and one person going on title.
Apr 5, 2017
42 posts
39 upvotes
What about registration costs? They would show up under Minister of finance charge in your trust ledger.
Feb 16, 2011
594 posts
129 upvotes
this is what one lawyer quoted me...very detailed breakdown

$600 fee
$75.27 register deed
$75.27 register mortgage
$84.50 collection fee for TLTT
$75-80 title search
$40 title subsearch
3x$11.60 name search (per person involved)
$6 per name
$25 certified cheques, bank, photocopies
$15-25 courrier
$25 conveyance
$230 no title insurance
$500 yes title insurance

~$1540 + HST on certain items

this is what another lawyer quoted me...

$700 fee + HST
$350 expenses + HST
$480 title insurance (one time premium from First Canadian Title) --> - insurance is $280 for first 500k...then $1 per 1K thereafter
$75.27 title transfer (no HST)
$75.27 mortgage registration (no HST)

$1817.01 after taxes

Anything just under 2k seems to be on the cheaper side from my research/quotes. I found many lawyers wouldn't disclose what their "all-in-one" fees included. Hope this helps.
Jun 11, 2009
256 posts
27 upvotes
I dont understand how lawyers continue to get away with exorbitant charges.

courier fees of 60+ (wonder how they justify this)
title searches of 50+ where the actual cost is only about 30
of course all the other photocopy and print charges etc.

i hope these get regulated soon and lawyers stop gouging powerless clients. dentists have checks, doctors have checks. lawyers have none!
Happy Zoomer and FIDO client!
Tangerine Orangekey 36065152S1
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
3618 posts
1261 upvotes
bargain_deal wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 10:56 pm

i hope these get regulated soon and lawyers stop gouging powerless clients. dentists have checks, doctors have checks. lawyers have none!
profits.
Apr 5, 2017
42 posts
39 upvotes
bargain_deal wrote:

Courier fees depend on the time the package is sent to the other lawyer. If the package is sent out early morning it costs us about $30 but often during a purchase funds don't arrive until much later in the day forcing lawyers to buy direct courier which often costs $90-100.

Title searches also vary by property. It depends on how old the property is and how many pages we have to pull. The older the property = more instruments registered = more pages = more $$$
If for some reason the property is a part of a lot we are required to do adjacent lot searches which means any lot connected on all sides must be searched. That can make only the search part to go up to $200.

Photocopy and print I agree, some lawyers charge $50 when in reality you can buy a full toner for it.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2148 posts
1027 upvotes
Markham
bargain_deal wrote:

This sometimes has to do with how they allocate business and ops expenses. Certain expenses are more, well, desirable vs. if they were to lump it all in to 'legal fee'.

At the end it's a moot point as you are free to settle on flat all in costs and shop around!
Jun 11, 2009
256 posts
27 upvotes
the relative cost for legal fee has become so small in todays real estate transaction cost that there is less motivation to shop around...
Happy Zoomer and FIDO client!
Tangerine Orangekey 36065152S1