• Apr 20th, 2017 12:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10073 posts
560 upvotes
Toronto

Real Wagyu and Kobe Beef in Toronto

I was at Heisei Mart in J-Town two weekends ago and saw that their meat department had both Wagyu and Kobe beef. I remember taking a close look at them to make sure they were of Japanese origin and they were according to the labels. The Kobe beef in particular had some sort of seal or label of authenticity. The Wagyu was $20/100g and Kobe beef was $40/100g. Sorry I forgot to take pics.
10 replies
Mar 31, 2017
200 posts
52 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 2:07 am
I was at Heisei Mart in J-Town two weekends ago and saw that their meat department had both Wagyu and Kobe beef. I remember taking a close look at them to make sure they were of Japanese origin and they were according to the labels. The Kobe beef in particular had some sort of seal or label of authenticity. The Wagyu was $20/100g and Kobe beef was $40/100g. Sorry I forgot to take pics.
The color was way off though, right? Likely sitting there unsold for quite a while
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2602 posts
263 upvotes
trini wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 6:19 am
You do know i's just a fancy label anyone can put on it right?
Buying it and actually knowing how to cook it is another thing.
I would serve Kobe Beef the way I eat all my steaks. Cooked to well done and served with both HP and Ketchup sauce for dipping.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3819 posts
2407 upvotes
Toronto
Someone posted a link a while back showing a list of stores/restaurants that sell authentic kobe. Famu in Jtown was listed as one of them(they actually distribute to jacobs and co):

http://www.kobe-niku.jp/shop/?lang=1
Mar 3, 2011
304 posts
138 upvotes
You mean these, bought 350g worth of the KOBE for my wife's birthday and I bought some of A4 for myself.

[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10073 posts
560 upvotes
Toronto
markopas wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 10:07 am
You mean these, bought 350g worth of the KOBE for my wife's birthday and I bought some of A4 for myself.

Yep. Thanks for the pics.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35628 posts
1921 upvotes
Toronto
wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:38 am
I would serve Kobe Beef the way I eat all my steaks. Cooked to well done and served with both HP and Ketchup sauce for dipping.
Hahaha! Sorry you vucker. That was hilarious and actually made me laugh out loud bc of how offended & disgusted i got.

I wasnt sure if i should down vote or upvote.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35628 posts
1921 upvotes
Toronto
Waygu is great... but i find that the price increase doesnt justify the taste increase.

I've tried it on several occassions & of various grades. Its worth it if you want to pay to play.
But I rather spend my money on a premium cut of grass fed , dry aged rib eye.

But one of these days if im feeling really fancy... i wouldnt mind giving it another try for some sort of special occassion.
Mar 3, 2011
304 posts
138 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 2:25 pm
Waygu is great... but i find that the price increase doesnt justify the taste increase.

I've tried it on several occassions & of various grades. Its worth it if you want to pay to play.
But I rather spend my money on a premium cut of grass fed , dry aged rib eye.

But one of these days if im feeling really fancy... i wouldnt mind giving it another try for some sort of special occassion.
That's what I did, basically waited for a special occasion but it's not like it happens all the time so it's nice to treat yourself once in a while.

I haven't been inside the Loblaws at Leslie and Lakeshore for quite some time and went in recently closer to easter and just decided to walk around and went over to their meat section and noticed that they have dry aged beef still sitting in the refrigerated unit on the side and then some already pre-cut in packages you can just take with you. Prices seemed decent but I've never purchased dry aged before and tempted to try.

When Costco stopped selling the Australian Wagyu in their locations, I was pretty sad because they were pretty damn tasty. Yes you paid a little more but it was definitely worth the cost.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35628 posts
1921 upvotes
Toronto
markopas wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 11:51 am
That's what I did, basically waited for a special occasion but it's not like it happens all the time so it's nice to treat yourself once in a while.

I haven't been inside the Loblaws at Leslie and Lakeshore for quite some time and went in recently closer to easter and just decided to walk around and went over to their meat section and noticed that they have dry aged beef still sitting in the refrigerated unit on the side and then some already pre-cut in packages you can just take with you. Prices seemed decent but I've never purchased dry aged before and tempted to try.

When Costco stopped selling the Australian Wagyu in their locations, I was pretty sad because they were pretty damn tasty. Yes you paid a little more but it was definitely worth the cost.
The loblaws ones are good. But no grassfed...
You in leslieville / east end?
I go here now
http://www.butchersofdistinction.ca/meat-poultry/
I got a grass fed dry aged rib eye for $30/lb.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel