Students

realistic number of summer courses to take?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2012 6:15 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 31, 2010
403 posts
19 upvotes

realistic number of summer courses to take?

So what is a realistic and doable number of courses (half credit or 3 credit) courses during the summer session?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7928 posts
889 upvotes
Toronto
uni courses?

Just take however many you have time/energy for lol. I'd do 5 if you can.
Apr 28, 2012
204 posts
26 upvotes
I'm doing 3, repeating one to upgrade the grade >_<
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
1940 posts
1626 upvotes
chinesedevil wrote:
Apr 29th, 2012 10:45 am
uni courses?

Just take however many you have time/energy for lol. I'd do 5 if you can.

+1. Do as many as you can. I love taking summer courses. The campus is peaceful and quiet and the weather is so nice too. I feel so much productive during the summer months.
Oct 14, 2009
379 posts
91 upvotes
Depends on your situation. As Chinesedevil said, you can do as many as you feel comfortable with. Realistically you can take a full course load just as you would during a fall or winter semester. If you have a part-time job you have to decide on how many hours you want. Or if you just want to have a ton of free time to enjoy your summer then there are different considerations.

I found that 2 classes was a nice amount. They were on the same day, back-to-back. Not too much travel to and from home and campus, not too much time spent in class, and you don't have to spend a ton of hours doing homework. It was a nice balance between getting ahead in my classes for next year, being able to work part-time, and being able to enjoy my summer.

But you also might want to consider the cost. You might need to buy a parking pass for the summer, classes are usually more expensive when you take fewer, etc. For example, for me, I think it usually worked out that taking a summer course reduced the number of classes I needed the next year by one each semester. But the tuition difference between taking 5 or 6 courses was pretty small. But the difference between taking 1 and 0 classes is quite a bit.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7928 posts
889 upvotes
Toronto
xlc_88 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2012 1:13 pm
+1. Do as many as you can. I love taking summer courses. The campus is peaceful and quiet and the weather is so nice too. I feel so much productive during the summer months.

Completely agree. Some people about nice weather, need to be outside, need to enjoy summer and whatnot, I find that I'm way more productive in the summer and enjoy the quiet campus very much.

If you have the time and energy and money for it, go for as many as you can and it'll lighten the load you have to take in later years as well.
[OP]
May 31, 2010
403 posts
19 upvotes
I've never taken a summer semester but it is simply a May to end of August term or is it May-June then July-August?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7928 posts
889 upvotes
Toronto
qpalzm wrote:
Apr 29th, 2012 1:51 pm
I've never taken a summer semester but it is simply a May to end of August term or is it May-June then July-August?

Depends on the institution and course. Some offer only 2 month accelerated summer terms/courses. Other's only offer full 4month terms, and some offer full 4 month terms but with some courses being accelerated (either the first 2 months of summer or last 2 months of summer).

You will have to check with your school's course offering schedule to find out.
Apr 23, 2012
242 posts
11 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
xlc_88 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2012 1:13 pm

This. I love summer semesters. Doing homework out on the balcony while the sun is shining... barely even feels like homework! I only take the minimum required to be "full time" with OSAP (1.5 credits at UTSC, or three classes) because I like to still have free time for summer fun.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3297 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
I'm planning to do 2 only. From past experiences, I'm the most unproductive during the summer :(
× < >