Computers & Electronics

Reason of slow internet connection for my cable?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2015 2:10 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2849 posts
502 upvotes
Mississauga

Reason of slow internet connection for my cable?

i thought it was my router but it turns out the router is working just fine

The problem is when I play a YouTube or some other streaming video, my video won't play, and will get stuck at the loading screen forever. I have uninstalled my virus scan, but still have the same problem

I just couldn't figure out what is wrong, it works fine with my cell phone hot spot or if i changed to my older router when loading videos. Everything is working fine even dling windows updates. I also tried to reformat my computer and reinstalled everything but the problem is still the same.

I am using wifi with tp link wifi adaptor stick

Any solution to this?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1218 posts
601 upvotes
North of Toronto
You should run some speedtests on www.speedtest.net.

1. Do a speed test with a cable directly running from the modem to a pc.
2. Do a speed test on each wifi device using the router and compare against a direct connection.

This will tell you if there is an issue with the router, maybe you need to forward some ports.

That's just a basic way of testing your connection for speed.

You can check your routers firewall and windows firewall to see if anything you want to do is given access.

I would first try different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Explorer, Safari, etc). To see if you get the same results. You should also update any plugin's your browser uses.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2849 posts
502 upvotes
Mississauga
I try speediest and get 9.63
And all the browsers just couldn't play videos
I am not sure why

I did a factory restore to my router but no luck

Is it cuz of that wifi stick?
But than I could connect just fine with my old router and my cell phone hot spot
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2849 posts
502 upvotes
Mississauga
its so weird....

i just use the LAN cable and i can play video again just fine, but once i switched back to wifi stick, everything is working except streaming videos/netflix are all blocked/bluffing forever. I just couldn't figure out the problem, and all my network is set as "home".
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
It's obviously your router is the problem if you reinstall your OS. Try resetting your router or check your router settings in wireless sections. Or else it's your tp link wifi adaptor so check to see if you install a software for it that changes stuff.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2849 posts
502 upvotes
Mississauga
i did restore the router to factory setting and also pressed the reset button at the back but not helping

for the wifi stick, it works fine with my mobile hot spot, and with my older router, and with the latest firmware and software for the stick

is there ways to access setting in wifi stick that something like a router? ex. 192.168.1.1?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
What is the exact model of your wifi usb stick and why do you need to install a software? Does the software control some of your settings? Also what OS are you using? People can't help you if you are only given fraction of infromations. First of all what is your ISP downloading uploading speed? What is the speed with your ethernet vs your wifi adpter for your computer? How far is your router from your computer? Are you trying to play 1080p video? Have you try 720p or lower to see if it is streaming. If it is streaming with lower resolution that means your wifi signal is weak.