• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 8:46 pm
[OP]
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
75 posts
6 upvotes

Reasonable price for paint job?

I'm planning on buying this part, have it painted and installed on my car: http://www.extremeparts.ca/product/3-se ... r-assembly

It already has primer on it, described as being "ready for paint". How much is a reasonable price to have this painted and/or installed? I've contacted one local auto customization shop, and they're quoting me 550-650$ for painting and installation depending on how well it fits. What do you guys think?

P.S.: Anyone know a good shop around Chateauguay/Montreal that would do this kind of work?
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7605 posts
993 upvotes
Toronto
Hard to say and well once they see you driving a BMW well the price can increase instantly.
That price does seem reasonable but one must be aware that you get what you pay for in most cases.
body shops are different in that they may still charge you lots for shoddy work.
since it's high end car maybe look are reputable places that have reviews, examples of their work etc and maybe be willing to pay a bit more.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2027 posts
1268 upvotes
Find out what the bumper is made of....

The colour of your car can also dictate how expensive it will be to paint. Pearls and tricoats are alot more expensive than plain colours
[OP]
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
75 posts
6 upvotes
6mthatch wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 12:27 pm
Find out what the bumper is made of....

The colour of your car can also dictate how expensive it will be to paint. Pearls and tricoats are alot more expensive than plain colours
It's made of poly plastic, and I want it painted jet black.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
12530 posts
1304 upvotes
If you want quality and proper fitment, expect to pay some $$$. High/premium quality paint is extremely pricey ($2000+ per gallon).
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14975 posts
5254 upvotes
For reference when I had a front bumper, brand new, painted as a warranty replacement Nissan paid their shop ~$400 for the paint work. $500-$700 seems reasonable, especially if you have metallic, pearl, etc. paint and you're dealing with a bumper that may not fit perfect.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5137 posts
1407 upvotes
Space
1000-1500, Would be a decent price. Being aftermarket I can see the cost being on the higher end ( if you want proper fit ). I’m sure you can find a small shop to paint it for 500$ but expect concessions.
Banned
Oct 10, 2016
758 posts
326 upvotes
Problem is that those aftermarket parts often need to be trimmed and fitted.
You need a good bodyshop to do that.
Then you need to make sure that the bodyshop can match the paint and not too much orange peel, fish eyes.

In Chateauguay go see Freskies Custom ask for Frank. He's my friend actually and does some crazy work.
Last edited by estevens on Feb 23rd, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
75 posts
6 upvotes
estevens wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 8:44 pm
Problem is that those aftermarket parts often need to be trimmed and fitted.
You need a good bodyshop to do that.
Then you need to make sure that the bodyshop can match the paint and not too much orange peel, fish eyes.

In Chateauguay go see Friskies Custom ask for Frank. I know him very well
That's where I was thinking of going, had them install an exhaust and did great work
Jun 3, 2011
1 posts
Toronto
some places charge as low as $3000 n new paint job. a lot of people have been getting wraps done instead