Art and Photography

Reasonable quality tripod that's resonably priced?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2018 9:02 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4800 posts
254 upvotes

Reasonable quality tripod that's resonably priced?

I already have an older manfrotto that is their budget line, it holds up to 2.5kg but if you fully extend all the legs it's only stable if I don't touch it at all and it can be easily knocked over. I'm looking for a second tripod for another camera. I'm a bit on a budget, I'm thinking $100 or less. So what's the current go to budget tripod? I'm not talking amazon basics piece of crap that will get knocked over or wobbles if you breathe on it but I don't need a $5000 gitzo or something. I don't mind if it's used but all the ones on kijiji are either trash or they're asking way too much for something used.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7313 posts
1287 upvotes
While Manfrotto are not the most expensive tripods but they are already one of the better brands for quality and value.

When you say budget line, which model is it exactly and how much in weight are you putting or plan to put on it ??

Does it have a weight hook on the centre column post and are you using it ??

Honestly, don't think there are much better choices out there for ~$100 other than may be another higher model Manfrotto, perhaps.

However, I am sorry to say, but if you are saying it is tipping over by itself, makes me wonder if you are using it correctly since it shouldn't do that. Ie. do you use it like the left below and not spread those legs out ??

The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4800 posts
254 upvotes
It doesn't tip. Doesn't have a hook. I just have two bodies and I'm looking for a second tripod. Thought if I was buying another one maybe I should buy one that's slightly better
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2175 posts
293 upvotes
I have the Mafrotto Befree and I like it

It was on sale a couple months ago
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7313 posts
1287 upvotes
You plan to use both bodies on different tripods at the same time ??

Yeah, Befree is a popular model, should work for most.
Oni-kun wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 12:24 am
It doesn't tip. Doesn't have a hook. I just have two bodies and I'm looking for a second tripod. Thought if I was buying another one maybe I should buy one that's slightly better
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4800 posts
254 upvotes
hdom wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 2:22 am
You plan to use both bodies on different tripods at the same time ??

Yeah, Befree is a popular model, should work for most.
Yeah, one for timelapse while I'm doing something else with the other