Automotive

Reasonable things to negotiate for if they won't budge on price...

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2017 6:59 am
Aug 25, 2006
927 posts
477 upvotes

Reasonable things to negotiate for if they won't budge on price...

So I bought my car yesterday...a little buyers remorse, but excited since this is my first really "new" car...I'm a big boy now.

Any ways, the price I got (I think) was a good deal...

Some extra that they included but I know probably wasn't much but was a nice gesture...

1. Nitrogen in the tires (I know what I have read about this)
2. Anti theft warranty for 3 years (insurance to buy from them in the future)
3. Tire warranty for a year (which when I had my old Sienna, in the 1st month I rolled over a nail and needed a new tire)
4. New plates and stickers (I think this is about $200)

Stuff I should have but though of right after

1. 1st oil change/tune up for free
2. Last maintenance check for my old Sienna -- giving that back to the family (long story there), so would be nice to have it ship shape
3 Accessories ....

Any addition to add for new car buyers???
41 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1067 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Doesn't sound like a negotiation, sounds like dealer charged you MSRP and you bought into a bunch of dealer "warranties" in the finance office..

Just enjoy the car at this point.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
I agree, I dont see any sort of deal or extra that you got. Those are all items that they just bundled into the price of the car.

What car did you buy?
How much did you pay?
When will you get the car?

Clayden wrote: Doesn't sound like a negotiation, sounds like dealer charged you MSRP and you bought into a bunch of dealer "warranties" in the finance office..

Just enjoy the car at this point.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Get:
Floor mats
Tank full of gas
paint protection
undercoat
a couple oil changes,
free first scheduled inspection

Anti theft makes no sense, you should have that on your regular insurance
Tire warranty is normally with the tire manufacturer anyway not the dealer
Nitrogen in the tires is a scam
registration is cheap (depending where you live) and plating is cheap, you can keep your old plates or get rebates on the remaining plate fees
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2319 posts
620 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
#1 thing to ask for is: Winter Mats
OEM ones are about $100 and most people can't justify that but having them is soooo nice.
Aug 25, 2006
927 posts
477 upvotes
Plates belong to my brother-in-law...don't ask....so I need new ones.

I got a highlander limited 55250...all in....

They basically match erin park toyota quote but this dealership is just down the block from me so it's more convenient.

I started this thread because I really have no idea what I can and cannot negotiate for (yes I know I can ask for anything and it's up to them to say yes)....so hopefully this will help future car buying newbies.

Tire warranty ...sure I know costco has a good plan but on a new car? My sienna within the first month had a nail in it and had to pay for a new tire.... so even though it's a dealership warranty, it's a peace of mind thing.

The rest I know were useless (nitrogen and antitheft)....

I think the highlander already comes with mats so I didn't ask.....
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
xcell wrote: Plates belong to my brother-in-law...don't ask....so I need new ones.

They basically match erin park toyota quote but this dealership is just down the block from me so it's more convenient.

I started this thread because I really have no idea what I can and cannot negotiate for (yes I know I can ask for anything and it's up to them to say yes)....so hopefully this will help future car buying newbies.

Tire warranty ...sure I know costco has a good plan but on a new car? My sienna within the first month had a nail in it and had to pay for a new tire.... so even though it's a dealership warranty, it's a peace of mind thing.

My point is that dealers never warranty tires. They always give you the tire manufacturers warranty. I don't know what tires you have on the vehicle but you should look at that document before you agree to what may be a useless extra.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Mar 6, 2008
456 posts
197 upvotes
Ottawa
Now that you've already signed the bill of sale, it's a bit too late to negotiate for accessories. The dealer will likely say no.

It sounds like you went in without a plan, and expectations. Usually for non-exclusive cars, the price is negotiable, and so are accessories. I would have looked at the invoice price of the vehicle you were purchasing, try to get estimates of what people in your region are getting it for (e.g., invoice + 1-2%), and once you have finalized a firm out-the-door price, talk about accessories. Accessories, third party services (tints, paint protection, etc.) and warranties are very profitable items for dealers, and they often try to substitute them instead of a dollar discount off the MSRP since it's profit in their pocket, so you want to try to separate those two discussions.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1803 posts
851 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
xcell wrote: Plates belong to my brother-in-law...don't ask....so I need new ones.

No offence but you basically got nothing...
Steps to buying a car:
Obtain unhaggle price of the vehicle, purchase vehicle for 800$ more than unhaggle price(often can do better than this) and ask to have tinted windows,first service and oil change, winter tires,rust protection,etc
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
Yep you got nothing. And you already signed the bill of sale, so now you are not gonna get anything else. Sorry mate, but we all learn from our mistakes.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
nikels21 wrote: No offence but you basically got nothing...
Steps to buying a car:
Obtain unhaggle price of the vehicle, purchase vehicle for 800$ more than unhaggle price(often can do better than this) and ask to have tinted windows,first service and oil change, winter tires,rust protection,etc
Depending on the vehicle, there are some units out there to which what you say means nothing.

But ya, OP paid sticker and got nothing but a hearty handshake.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41800 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
The fact that you were able to buy the Highlander is a win.
This SUV is in high demand and there are always buyers lined up.

Buying a new vehicle, is always YMMV.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
You only negotiate on price, nothing else. Start with the Unhaggle dealer cost and work around that. The Highlander has a $3,000 margin for the dealer. If you can't negotiate price, try another dealer or bring someone who can negotiate.

If you're offered "free" mats, oil change, VIN etching, tire warranty, etc. it means you've left a LOT of money on the table. The salesperson has already factored these into the selling price and is forcing you to buy it.

Rubber mats - get real mats like WeatherTech, the OEM rubber mats are meant for mild weather
Oil change - dealers will choose to purchase cheap, bulk oil for their service bay as long as it meets the requirements
Tire warranty - $10.99 for flat repairs at Costco
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1174 posts
1556 upvotes
Calgary
Sounds like you negotiated a bad deal, just live with it.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
Deal is done. OP, just enjoy the car. Don't ask questions because you're not going to like what you're going to hear.

Next time you are planning to purchase a new car, ask about negotiation tactics and steps before shopping or signing.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1803 posts
851 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
koffey wrote: Depending on the vehicle, there are some units out there to which what you say means nothing.

But ya, OP paid sticker and got nothing but a hearty handshake.
Yea obviously smaller vehicles (accents, cruzes,etc) have next to no markup and this does not apply
Aug 25, 2006
927 posts
477 upvotes
Again...I know the deal is done... this thread is to help other newbies to learn from MY mistake and give them ideas what to ask for.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
You don't negotiate on these items. You talk price only. The moment you start talking about "free" mats or oil changes it means you've failed and the salesperson has the upper hand. It's bad advice to tell newbies to ask for "free" stuff.

Asking for "free" stuff obfuscates the deal. The dealer has to pay real money for these items. Why not simply take it out of the bill of sale?
Feb 7, 2006
473 posts
220 upvotes
OP got some discount, MSRP on Toyota.ca for Highlander Limited is 58628 (including F&PDI, tax, fees). OP paid 55K all in. That is pretty good for a in demand car like the Highlander.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1085 posts
900 upvotes
Op in my opinion sales price is most important, as for accessories and services you can get those anywhere. Unless you are looking for some limited edition and/or exotic vehicle, if the sales person or manager is not willing to talk numbers, I would go to another dealership. In the case of a brand new Toyota, there are probably a dozen or so dealerships in the GTA, therefore the BUYER holds the cards.

Congrats on your new purchase, the Highlander is truly an amazing vehicle. I hope you will enjoy years of trouble free motoring.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)