Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes

The rebooted off topic is a hole in one

Just wanted to comment on how much I appreciate the new direction off topic has taken since the purge.

Some of the better points:

1) I can actually eat and read the topics at the same time now thanks to less or no revoltingly disgusting topics being created. Right before the purge there were about 5-6 disgusting topics right on the first page and I literally lost my appetite.

2) Easier to target **** starters. It is now clear who is stirring the pot just for the sake of riling up the easily agitated members on that forum. I'm happy to see these people have stopped their nonsense or have left the forum all together. It's also easier for those who are to uphold the decency of the forum to target these individuals and let them know their behaviour isn't needed or welcomed. Having the community and not just the staff on the site stand up for the quality of the forum is important and has lessened the impact of people who are just trying to start a ruckus for the sake of starting one

3) Less back and forth bickering and cliquing. I was tired of trying to join the discussion of a thread only to find it had been derailed by two users bickering back and forth, or by certain users forming some sort of internet clique that made others feel unwelcome in the thread

Keep up this great work as it is surely a step in the right direction for this website.
Share:
96 replies
Banned
Mar 2, 2011
5476 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
JK400 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2012 10:59 pm
Just wanted to comment on how much I appreciate the new direction off topic has taken since the purge.

1) I can actually eat and read the topics at the same time now thanks to less or no revoltingly disgusting topics being created. Right before the purge there were about 5-6 disgusting topics right on the first page and I literally lost my appetite.

2) Easier to target **** starters. It is now clear who is stirring the pot just for the sake of riling up the easily agitated members on that forum. I'm happy to see these people have stopped their nonsense or have left the forum all together. It's also easier for those who are to uphold the decency of the forum to target these individuals and let them know their behaviour isn't needed or welcomed. Having the community and not just the staff on the site stand up for the quality of the forum is important and has lessened the impact of people who are just trying to start a ruckus for the sake of starting one

3) Less back and forth bickering and cliquing. I was tired of trying to join the discussion of a thread only to find it had been derailed by two users bickering back and forth, or by certain users forming some sort of internet clique that made others feel unwelcome in the thread

Keep up this great work as it is surely a step in the right direction for this website.
:facepalm: There are many people would disagree with you on this. The quality of the threads has definitely gone down, threads about a mans 100lb scrotum :-0 and other garbage :facepalm:

There is still plenty of bickering between many users and its the same as before. What were these disgusting topics you saw, I dont remember seeing any disgusting topics
Agafaba: "Hitman doesnt troll, he just has very strong opinions about controversial topics"
stealth: "Classic Hitman response. ;) A God amongst trolls"
pablonutribar: "Hehehe - you are a god amongst trolls."
king_george: "Keep up the good fight you awesome freeedom fighter you"
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24780 posts
2790 upvotes
Hamilton
Hitman21 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2012 11:36 pm
:facepalm: There are many people would disagree with you on this. The quality of the threads has definitely gone down, threads about a mans 100lb scrotum :-0 and other garbage :facepalm:

There is still plenty of bickering between many users and its the same as before. What were these disgusting topics you saw, I dont remember seeing any disgusting topics
I know right...that thread should be locked
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13788 posts
1301 upvotes
Finally, a place where JK400 can post without having to worry about **** starters and pot stirrers.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
JK400 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2012 10:59 pm

Not sure about point one.....and maybe even point two (there are a couple of members who seem hell bent on pushing the limits of the new rules and seem to enjoy being disrespectful and confrontational as there is evidence in this thread) as this still goes on, but I admit the mods are quicker in deleting, editing, locking and banning those members. However I agree with point two. It will take time, but either the ones who are pushing the limits, will either get banned and learn their lesson, get bored and leave (like one recent member said he was) or they never learn and are perma-banned.
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
I actually don't see that much of a difference from the old OT. Some threads get locked a bit quicker, but it's not exactly a "lite" version of the old OT.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1326 upvotes
Hitman21 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2012 11:36 pm
:facepalm: There are many people would disagree with you on this.
But not that many in the whole scheme of things ....at best..... it'd be a miniscule % of the overall RFD membership...at least IMO.

What ...maybe a paltry couple of dozen members who really can't stand the new changes ?

Again, that's not many in my view.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Jul 5, 2004
23504 posts
3054 upvotes
diggler649 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2012 8:31 am
I actually don't see that much of a difference from the old OT. Some threads get locked a bit quicker, but it's not exactly a "lite" version of the old OT.
Neither do I. It's the exact same forum, but now any worthwhile discussions get shut down. Apparently talking about the rising costs of Dentists is now banned too. Heaven forbid we talk about dentistry, that might cause RFD to go offside.

A 100 lb scrotum is a great topic though, we should have more of those and much less conversation about the rising costs of basic healthcare in this country.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24780 posts
2790 upvotes
Hamilton
Shaner wrote:
Jun 21st, 2012 9:44 am
Neither do I. It's the exact same forum, but now any worthwhile discussions get shut down. Apparently talking about the rising costs of Dentists is now banned too. Heaven forbid we talk about dentistry, that might cause RFD to go offside.

A 100 lb scrotum is a great topic though, we should have more of those and much less conversation about the rising costs of basic healthcare in this country.
Country? No way. That would turned into a political thread
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
Jun 21st, 2012 9:39 am
Congratulations poedua, you managed to poll ever single RFD member in a matter of hours. Well done. I mean that's really the only way you could qualify such a statement.
If the vast majority of OT posters were so offended, like DearSummer was, they would've left like he did. What's that he always says? Vote with your wallet? Many of the loudest whiners still post in OT.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14222 posts
1076 upvotes
If smiley icons are attacking a user maybe they should be removed from the forums. Just saying. :D :lol: oops.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Jul 5, 2004
23504 posts
3054 upvotes
flashy_mcflash wrote:
Jun 21st, 2012 9:49 am
If the vast majority of OT posters were so offended, like DearSummer was, they would've left like he did. What's that he always says? Vote with your wallet? Many of the loudest whiners still post in OT.
If I get frustrated enough, I will leave.

As for DearSummer leaving, as much as I completely disagreed with everything he ever wrote, his posts were intelligent and thought provoking, the kind of posts Oranr says he wants around here, and then Oranr and a couple of the mods cause him to leave.

But thankfully we have threads talking about 100 lb scrotums, so all is well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
Jun 21st, 2012 10:01 am

As for DearSummer leaving, as much as I completely disagreed with everything he ever wrote, his posts were intelligent and thought provoking, the kind of posts Oranr says he wants around here, and then Oranr and a couple of the mods cause him to leave.

The kind of posts he wants around here, as per the rules, are non-political. RFD is just not a place to discuss that stuff, it's just not. It is a deals website. There are loads of political forums out there for those types of discussions. OT was never, at any point since I've been reading it, home to much intelligent discourse anyhow (despite the stated topic).
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
115 upvotes
Sudbury
Shaner wrote:
Jun 21st, 2012 10:01 am

or threads like this http://f.redflagdeals.com/showthread.php?t=1192937 for their PG site.
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
988 upvotes
N/A
flashy_mcflash wrote:
Jun 21st, 2012 10:05 am
The kind of posts he wants around here, as per the rules, are non-political. RFD is just not a place to discuss that stuff, it's just not. It is a deals website. There are loads of political forums out there for those types of discussions. OT was never, at any point since I've been reading it, home to much intelligent discourse anyhow (despite the stated topic).
since RFD is a deals site, should the content that is not deals related be removed? maybe we shouldn't talk about cars or computers, if they are not on sale?

we are social beings, and allowing people to talk it out will only raise engagement. it's funny to me that the admin and some people complain that people bicker here. what, you don't bicker in real life? people are just being people.

the admin wants us to treat this place like our workplace, which is sheer non-sense. the admin might work here and get paid for it. i don't. this is one of the places and things to do where people come to get away from the daily stress of working.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”