• Jun 25th, 2012 3:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1614 posts
104 upvotes
Montr
I agree with the OP, the off-topic forum is better now.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
9201 posts
14188 upvotes
gei wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 2:45 pm
It boggles my mind how people can get so caught up in what is and is not posted in off-topic. How can you people possibly care so much? If it bothers you, why not just not go there? It's "off topic" - who cares what's in there?
I like that some people get bothered and that they care - it is a sign of their passion for our quirky community.

I like ippon's analogy re: tv channels. But where the analogy falls short is that we interact and over time we are not just watching a tv show. Over time, for regulars, it becomes something else - a love it and hate it little town.

Certainly people have different visions of what they want OT to be. Personally I want it to be safe, but with spice and kick. I love the mix of posters - both in views and in topics that interest them. Where else can you meet with such a vast variety of people? - knowledge, cultural, age, experiences, temperments... It is amazing.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1985 posts
158 upvotes
drdrma wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 9:02 pm
I agree with the OP, the off-topic forum is better now.
I agree, it's much nicer not having to wade through all the discussions debating issues that affect the everyday lives of Canadians to find threads such as the one discussing the problems related to a 100lb scrotum.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
986 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
ssbtech wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 10:51 pm
I agree, it's much nicer not having to wade through all the discussions debating issues that affect the everyday lives of Canadians to find threads such as the one discussing the problems related to a 100lb scrotum.
Lol. I'll give you points for being funny at least.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
992 upvotes
N/A
ishfish wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 10:33 pm
I like that some people get bothered and that they care - it is a sign of their passion for our quirky community.

I like ippon's analogy re: tv channels. But where the analogy falls short is that we interact and over time we are not just watching a tv show. Over time, for regulars, it becomes something else - a love it and hate it little town.

Certainly people have different visions of what they want OT to be. Personally I want it to be safe, but with spice and kick. I love the mix of posters - both in views and in topics that interest them. Where else can you meet with such a vast variety of people? - knowledge, cultural, age, experiences, temperments... It is amazing.
that interaction can be nullified by the ignore feature. it's there for a reason.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
ippon wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 10:55 pm
that interaction can be nullified by the ignore feature. it's there for a reason.
You are absolutely right BUT.... funny how when we have to deal with bickering users who can't seem to drop a disagreement one always says they shouldn't have to use the ignore feature when it's strongly suggested they do. Even better (worse actually) when they say they refuse to use as they want to "keep an eye on that user" to keep them in line. :facepalm:
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
9201 posts
14188 upvotes
EmperorOfCanada wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 10:52 pm
Lol. I'll give you points for being funny at least.
People get points for being funny???
How many can you have before you get sent off to sit quietly in the corner???

Emperor Penguin - now that is funny.

10 points. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1614 posts
104 upvotes
Montr
ssbtech wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 10:51 pm
Are you making the claim that subject would not have appeared before the rule changes?
Personally, I found the level the quality of discussion in the political threads before the changes pretty bad, mostly nonfactual belligerent opinions. If anything, I would like to see permanent bans on most of the frequent participants, they had nothing interesting to say and still don't
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
986 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
ishfish wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 11:21 pm
People get points for being funny???
How many can you have before you get sent off to sit quietly in the corner???

Emperor Penguin - now that is funny.

10 points. :)
Thanks for noticing!
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
ishfish wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 10:33 pm

+1

And just as a TV network can decide what is and isn't appropriate - in terms of the content - for their programming / network...RFD can do the same. :D
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
9201 posts
14188 upvotes
poedua wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 10:12 am
+1

And just as a TV network can decide what is and isn't appropriate - in terms of the content - for their programming / network...RFD can do the same. :D
At the end of the day "The Greater Powers" have to weight the pros and cons and make the final decisions.

But I see it as great that we have a comments and suggestions area and that users are enthusiastic and have ideas.

Oh sure, if we all had Oranr's postition we could do a better job of it - but we don't have it. :razz: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Actually it woud be interesting to walk in Oranr's shoes or those of the moderators - I would never do it though. I'd much rather stay perfect and idealistic. :twisted: )
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
9201 posts
14188 upvotes
ippon wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 10:55 pm
I know. But some of those interactions are positive - most of mine have been. :)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
ishfish wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 10:33 am
At the end of the day "The Greater Powers" have to weight the pros and cons and make the final decisions.

But I see it as great that we have a comments and suggestions area and that users are enthusiastic and have ideas.
Although, unfortunately, it's seems the bulk of the ' enthusiastic ' participation on this forum as it pertains to OT, is overwhelming dominated by criticism of the admin / mods / rule etc. ....constructive suggestions and solutions - constructive ' ideas ' - from members are few and far between. :lol:
ishfish wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 10:33 am
Oh sure, if we all had Oranr's postition we could do a better job of it - but we don't have it. :razz: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Actually it woud be interesting to walk in Oranr's shoes or those of the moderators - I would never do it though. I'd much rather stay perfect and idealistic. :twisted: )
And that's the irony.

All the usual suspects of chronic whiners and complainers who regularly come on this forum to tear into and harangue the admin / mods for doing an ' allegedly ' lousy job regarding OT - if put in an admin / mod role themselves - wouldn't be able to do any better job....if anything, it'd be much, much, worse...IMHO.

None of the chronic whiners and complainers who regularly come on this forum could " walk in Oranr's shoes or those of the moderators " last a month without being subjected to the same level of chronic and relentlessness anti admin / mods bashing our current admin / mods have been ( and still are ) subjected to IMO. ;)
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2011
1467 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Wouldn't it be easier just to close all forums other than Hot Deals?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
arclite wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 11:45 am
Wouldn't it be easier just to close all forums other than Hot Deals?
There's a thought. :lol:

Though, the other forums aren't really the problem - OT is.

So, you could probably just permanently shut down all of OT ( leaving all the other forums ) and - and in the long run - the site probably wouldn't be any worse off.
TRAIN HARD !!!!