Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: The rebooted off topic is a hole in one

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2012 3:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 3, 2007
15992 posts
375 upvotes
poedua wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 10:56 am
Although, unfortunately, it's seems the bulk of the ' enthusiastic ' participation on this forum as it pertains to OT, is overwhelming dominated by criticism of the admin / mods / rule etc. ....constructive suggestions and solutions - constructive ' ideas ' - from members are few and far between. :lol:



And that's the irony.

All the usual suspects of chronic whiners and complainers who regularly come on this forum to tear into and harangue the admin / mods for doing an ' allegedly ' lousy job regarding OT - if put in an admin / mod role themselves - wouldn't be able to do any better job....if anything, it'd be much, much, worse...IMHO.

None of the chronic whiners and complainers who regularly come on this forum could " walk in Oranr's shoes or those of the moderators " last a month without being subjected to the same level of chronic and relentlessness anti admin / mods bashing our current admin / mods have been ( and still are ) subjected to IMO. ;)
Don't talk about whiners without talking about brown nosing.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1195 posts
93 upvotes
poedua wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 10:56 am
Although, unfortunately, it's seems the bulk of the ' enthusiastic ' participation on this forum as it pertains to OT, is overwhelming dominated by criticism of the admin / mods / rule etc. ....constructive suggestions and solutions - constructive ' ideas ' - from members are few and far between. :lol:



And that's the irony.

All the usual suspects of chronic whiners and complainers who regularly come on this forum to tear into and harangue the admin / mods for doing an ' allegedly ' lousy job regarding OT - if put in an admin / mod role themselves - wouldn't be able to do any better job....if anything, it'd be much, much, worse...IMHO.

None of the chronic whiners and complainers who regularly come on this forum could " walk in Oranr's shoes or those of the moderators " last a month without being subjected to the same level of chronic and relentlessness anti admin / mods bashing our current admin / mods have been ( and still are ) subjected to IMO. ;)
You have the most irritating chat mannerisms. Has anyone ever told you that? From the way you quote.. down to the emoticons and acronyms. I feel like you must be doing it on purpose to get a rise out of ppl.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 3, 2007
15992 posts
375 upvotes
vaportrails wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 3:30 pm
You have the most irritating chat mannerisms. Has anyone ever told you that? From the way you quote.. down to the emoticons and acronyms. I feel like you must be doing it on purpose to get a rise out of ppl.
If so, best troll to ever go unbanned imho.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3010 posts
115 upvotes
East York
vaportrails wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 3:30 pm
You have the most irritating chat mannerisms. Has anyone ever told you that? From the way you quote.. down to the emoticons and acronyms. I feel like you must be doing it on purpose to get a rise out of ppl.
I actually agree with this - poedua tries way to hard. I know it's ironic since I've been on the side of the mods a lot.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
992 upvotes
N/A
i gotta say, pouncing on poedua is a sport of sort at RFD, and it amazes me that she takes it on the chin like nobody's business.
seems to me, there are far more people here that deserve that treatment so much more.
i disagree with almost everything she says, but at least she is willing to put her self out there and state her reasons. so many of you only chime in to attack her.
if you don't like what she has to say, might i suggest that you put her on ignore?
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 22, 2007
25728 posts
3908 upvotes
Hamilton
ippon wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 10:57 pm
i gotta say, pouncing on poedua is a sport of sort at RFD, and it amazes me that she takes it on the chin like nobody's business.
seems to me, there are far more people here that deserve that treatment so much more.
i disagree with almost everything she says, but at least she is willing to put her self out there and state her reasons. so many of you only chime in to attack her.
if you don't like what she has to say, might i suggest that you put her on ignore?
It disgust me how the rules aren't put tp affect towards attacking

Whole bunch of people are attacking Mrs poedua and none of them are banned yet..
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
480 upvotes
ippon wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 10:57 pm
i gotta say, pouncing on poedua is a sport of sort at RFD, and it amazes me that she takes it on the chin like nobody's business.
seems to me, there are far more people here that deserve that treatment so much more.
i disagree with almost everything she says, but at least she is willing to put her self out there and state her reasons. so many of you only chime in to attack her.
if you don't like what she has to say, might i suggest that you put her on ignore?
+1 I've never seen any of them address any points she makes either, their posts are solely to criticize her writing style. It's especially ironic since many of the people doing this are the same ones bemoaning the fact that their "freedom" to post how they like is being curtailed by the new rules. All those explanations about the necessity of limiting permissible topics of discussion because it was decided that some members could not handle the responsibility of having adult discussions without resorting to personal attacks and bickering? I would guess this is exactly the kind of behaviour they were talking about. Some people would do well to stick to attacking the content of the argument they disagree with, and not the person who posted it, if they ever want religious and political topics to have a chance to see the light of day on RFD again. Incidentally, the fact that she has been bullied this way for so long that, as you say, it has become something of a sport, again shows the lack of real consequences around here for those members who repeatedly flout the rules, despite several warnings from the mods.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 3, 2007
15992 posts
375 upvotes
Her reasons? Useless points.

Also looks down at people who shares different views and is a pro-mod brown noser.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
992 upvotes
N/A
dragon_drift wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 11:50 pm
Her reasons? Useless points.

Also looks down at people who shares different views and is a pro-mod brown noser.
sure, let's put her on ignore.
and let's not make this thread about her.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
jerrysiz wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 11:45 pm
+1 I've never seen any of them address any points she makes either, their posts are solely to criticize her writing style. It's especially ironic since many of the people doing this are the same ones bemoaning the fact that their "freedom" to post how they like is being curtailed by the new rules. All those explanations about the necessity of limiting permissible topics of discussion because it was decided that some members could not handle the responsibility of having adult discussions without resorting to personal attacks and bickering? I would guess this is exactly the kind of behaviour they were talking about. Some people would do well to stick to attacking the content of the argument they disagree with, and not the person who posted it, if they ever want religious and political topics to have a chance to see the light of day on RFD again. Incidentally, the fact that she has been bullied this way for so long that, as you say, it has become something of a sport, again shows the lack of real consequences around here for those members who repeatedly flout the rules, despite several warnings from the mods.
So you're telling me, if I spoke to you in a condescending voice or looked at you cross-eyed the entire time we had a conversation, you'd focus on my message and not the way I was saying it?

I completely agree that character assassination is no way to handle a debate or discussion, but there's a difference between focusing on irrelevant information in order to belittle a person, and asking that someone show a little personal insight into the way they communicate, in order not to put people off every time they say a damn thing.

Perhaps you've attended a college or university lecture. If so, you might be reminded of that one person (there's always one) who sits in the front row by themselves and blurts out questions and addendums while the prof is lecturing. I'll admit, sometimes the questions are good and the comments are relevant, but after a while it becomes disruptive because the entire class just hears constant interruptions from a know-it-all who can't keep their mouth shut.

Now to their credit, the staff here have been very tolerant in addressing people's gripes on the changes to OT. What they don't need, however is that kid, the one at the front of the class, to act as an interpreter, to talk over people whether she agrees or disagrees with them.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
jerrysiz wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 11:45 pm
+1

I've never seen any of them address any points she makes either, their posts are solely to criticize her writing style.

It's especially ironic since many of the people doing this are the same ones bemoaning the fact that their "freedom" to post how they like is being curtailed by the new rules. All those explanations about the necessity of limiting permissible topics of discussion because it was decided that

some members could not handle the responsibility of having adult discussions without resorting to personal attacks and bickering? I would guess this is exactly the kind of behaviour they were talking about.

Some people would do well to stick to attacking the content of the argument they disagree with, and not the person who posted it, if they ever want religious and political topics to have a chance to see the light of day on RFD again.

Incidentally, the fact that she has been bullied this way for so long that, as you say, it has become something of a sport, again shows the lack of real consequences around here for those members who repeatedly flout the rules, despite several warnings from the mods.
+1

Couldn't agree more.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
480 upvotes
Syne wrote:
Jun 24th, 2012 2:04 am
So you're telling me, if I spoke to you in a condescending voice or looked at you cross-eyed the entire time we had a conversation, you'd focus on my message and not the way I was saying it?
I'd let you know I found your manner condescending, sure. I'd also probably choose not to speak with you any more in future, and if you tried to talk to me again I'd tell you I have no interest in having a conversation with you. But what I wouldn't do is go out of my way to insult you every time you tried to start a conversation with anyone else, no matter what the topic, just to publicly attack your style.
Syne wrote:
Jun 24th, 2012 2:04 am
I completely agree that character assassination is no way to handle a debate or discussion, but there's a difference between focusing on irrelevant information in order to belittle a person, and asking that someone show a little personal insight into the way they communicate, in order not to put people off every time they say a damn thing.
See above. There is a way to do that without the character assassination. Most of the people who address her posts have yet to figure this out.
Syne wrote:
Jun 24th, 2012 2:04 am
Perhaps you've attended a college or university lecture. If so, you might be reminded of that one person (there's always one) who sits in the front row by themselves and blurts out questions and addendums while the prof is lecturing. I'll admit, sometimes the questions are good and the comments are relevant, but after a while it becomes disruptive because the entire class just hears constant interruptions from a know-it-all who can't keep their mouth shut.
Yes, I have been in that situation many times. I remember rolling my eyes and exchanging knowing looks with others in the lecture hall. What I don't remember happening is a bunch of people shouting insults at the person every time he/she opened his/her mouth, no matter what he/she was saying. I do remember people exhibiting that kind of behaviour in grade school though, and even back then the teachers would not tolerate such rudeness. Like I said, the mods are treating us like children right now because some of us continue to act like children.
Syne wrote:
Jun 24th, 2012 2:04 am
Now to their credit, the staff here have been very tolerant in addressing people's gripes on the changes to OT. What they don't need, however is that kid, the one at the front of the class, to act as an interpreter, to talk over people whether they agree or disagree with them.
I find it interesting that other members on the opposite end of the spectrum (the very anti-mod posters) receive nowhere near this level of hateful bullying (not talking about you here, but the others who post knee-jerk rude comments every time she posts something). If people feel the need to tell them they are repeating themselves and no one wants to hear it anymore, they are usually able to do it without the childish "you're a stupid annoying brown-noser" type personal attacks. You're certainly free to hold your opinion of her. You're also free to be annoyed by her posting style. But somehow you've managed to refrain from personally attacking her every time she posts. It would be nice if others could do the same. If we had more people who could manage to act like civil adults around here, perhaps we would be permitted to civily discuss adult topics.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
jerrysiz wrote:
Jun 24th, 2012 10:02 am

If we had more people who could manage to act like civil adults around here, perhaps we would be permitted to civilly discuss adult topics.
That's it in a nutshell IMO.

My sense is, the new ' stricter ' rules ( and stricter enforcement of the rules ) are striving - ultimately - to achieve just that...namely, to create a PG environment in OT etc. where civil discourse among members is the prevailing and dominant norm...rather than the exception to the rule as it appeared to be quickly becoming.

And to that end, and despite all the vitriolic ' blow back ' they are receiving from the usual suspects to the recent changes, I think oranr and the mods are on EXACTLY the right track and should STAY the course.

And as you say, once most members can " act like civil adults " more often than not, such that it becomes the prevailing and dominant norm in OT etc., it leaves the door open for the eventual return of ' adult ' oriented political and religious topics into the scope of forum discussions again....which personally speaking, is something I would certainly look forward to having come back. :)
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3010 posts
115 upvotes
East York
Wow - this thread is still going on - don't you guys (both sides) ever get tired of the constant back and forth? It's really really really sad.....I know I participated prior to my New York trip, but now I couldn't imagine jumping back into these discussions....

It's like jeez - there's more to life than this.....This is a miniscule site in a gigantic world....
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
ippon wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 10:57 pm
i gotta say, pouncing on poedua is a sport of sort at RFD, and it amazes me that she takes it on the chin like nobody's business.
Being related to George Chuvalo ....certainly helps . ;)
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!

Top