Computers & Electronics

RECALL:HP Pavilion DV2000, DV6000, DV9000, Compaq Presario v3000, v6000 Series Laptop

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2014 12:00 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 19, 2007
199 posts
3 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB

RECALL:HP Pavilion DV2000, DV6000, DV9000, Compaq Presario v3000, v6000 Series Laptop

All,

Just wanted to give those with HP and compaq laptops a heads up on a quiet recall which seems to be effecting a lot of owners but do not know that HP is offering a free fix (even if your laptop is out of warranty). There are two "Service Enhancements" (which I call recalls) and please note the expiry dates!:

First Service Enhancement:
Laptop Models: HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000 and Compaq Presario v3000/v6000 Series Notebook PCs

Issue:
The following symptoms apply to Pavilion dv2000 and Presario v3000 notebooks:
- The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager.
- There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor.

The following symptoms apply to the dv6000, dv9000 and v6000 series notebooks:
- The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager.
- There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor.
- The notebook has no power and no active LEDs.
- The notebook does not start.
- The battery charge indicator light does not turn on when the battery is installed and the AC adapter is connected.
- The notebook issues a single beep during boot indicating no power.
- The external monitor functions but there is no image on the notebook LCD panel.

Resolution:
Follow all instructions to the letter in the following link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... c=en&cc=us

Expires: April 2009 (according to HP rep on the phone)

Second Service Enhancement:
Laptop Models: HP Pavilion dv9000/dv9100/dv9200/dv9400 Series Notebook PCs

Issue:
Symptoms of a broken left display hinge include but may not be limited to the following:
- When opening or closing the display panel, you may hear popping or crackling sounds from the bottom left corner of the display (left hinge area).
- When opening or closing the display, the display may feel loose or wobble in the lower left corner.
- The plastics surrounding the left display hinge may show cracks or breaks

Resolution:
Follow all instructions to the letter in the following link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... =c01611512

Expires: May 31, 2009 (according to instructions link above)

I have had clients with both these issues and the charge for fixing them would have been more then $400. It took me some digging, but I found these hidden on HP's website with no direct links.

Note that if you are not having these symtoms, HP will not offer a preventative fix. You must be having the problem in order for them to fix it. HP provides free shipping (with insurance) for these "recalls". The cost to the owner is $0 and takes roughly 2-3 weeks to get your laptop back in your hands.

Back up all your data, as HP may need to do a full system restore.

I hope this helps out owners since I know there are some computer repairmen that will still charge the owners and collect the $400, but end up sending them to HP themselves for no cost to them.
21 replies
Jul 20, 2004
639 posts
23 upvotes
thanks I have a DV9000 that was affected by this, makes you wonder why HP did not inform me of my registered DV9000
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2533 posts
169 upvotes
Calgary
wow bump from a while ago... i guess i better hurry up and get my free parts.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7523 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
bump
Maximum Repair
Computer & Cell Phone Repair
PM me for more info
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1698 posts
54 upvotes
Windsor
Good luck getting them to fix it though... they extended the warranty by only a year, which I figure is the maximum time they figured they could get away with, without having to fix all of them(which is what will eventually happen)

Either way, they did push out the bios upgrade about a year ago, and a link to that page was provided at the time.

Have a dv2116wm that won't even turn on, so eventually the problem gets worse than just a dead screen and wireless.(which it started out doing)
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14214 posts
1024 upvotes
Scarborough
lol, i was just trying help someone fix their wifi today, to my amazement it the wifi adapter didnt show up on device manager, now i know why, the laptop was a HP DV9000, thanks op lol
Mar 9, 2008
369 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver
I sent my dv6000 about 2 months ago to HP for repair. I think they replaced the motherboard. My wifi was not being detected. Anyway, the laptop was shipped and I received it back in 1 week. Unfortunately, the cover had a large scratch. Since I did not want to send it in again, they give me $100 HP. I can spend it on any HP products, and they give me a rebate up to $100. Service was really quick, and I'm satisfied with their service. :-0
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26836 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
blahing wrote:
Mar 24th, 2009 1:39 am
... I'm satisfied with their service. :-0
So they bought your satisfaction? Lovin' the smilie...quite appropriate I find LOL.

Good thread, I'll watch out for any friends with these models to give the heads up.
●unlim CDN air&msging●unlim Global SMS●CD/VM●6Gb●$50
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Oct 28, 2004
251 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
my wifi jus died a couple days ago on the hp dv6000 and i called them, my 2 years expired last month, is there any way they will provide this warrenty, ive already had the motherboard and wireless replaced once through hp when the lcd died. Maybe i can replace the internal wireless card ? will that solve the problem?
Jun 17, 2009
1 posts
Florida
I have come across a customer's computer where the wireless was not being detected in the device manager and the screen would randomly go blank... I contacted HP through the "chat" option on the website and got a very nice and helpful rep named Angela. She asked me to tell her everything I have tried in regards to the issues... I told her I updated the BIOS, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, updated drivers, did system restore, and even tried a new wireless card, and nothing worked. She said that I tried all of the troubleshooting tips they would have told me to do, and said to give her my shipping information. HP will do one free repair (EVEN OUT OF WARRANTY) in regards to this issue!!! Do NOT let them tell you otherwise! HP knows about this "wireless" and "screen" issue and they WILL repair it for FREE ONCE for you (and they will pay shipping BOTH ways!). I got the rep to state such on the chat transcription so I have a log/record of what she said to me (because HP must stand behind what their associates/reps tell someone).

My advice to ANYONE having this issue that has a dv9000... in OR out of warranty coverage... contact HP with the chat link on their website... tell them you have tried all of the above that I said I tried.. tell them, "I was told of a recall with this specific model because of this exact problem" and see what happens. That is EXACTLY what I said and it WORKED for me.

I am willing to help anyone with this issue if they need my advice/assistance.

Good luck, everyone. Do NOT take "no" for an answer from HP. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
2623 posts
266 upvotes
Winnipeg
up...

What do you know, HP was just delaying the inevitable for me, I was kinda thinking that once I updated my BIOS (which I did as soon as it came out) that my laptop would be immune to the whole Nvidia GPU failure debacle, but lo and behold my laptop finally died yesterday (no video). The so-called "recall" only extends the standard 12 month warranty to 24 mos, and HP "enhanced" warranty expired last Jan 2010... so when I called HP about it, they were charging me $350 to repair their ****** product.

I researched about this on the internet, and have seen hundreds of web pages about the common theme - the failure of the GPU on thousands of laptops.. I'm at the end of my rope... will probably try the heat gun method, but it is probably a stop gap measure (if ever it works)... anybody knows a place that does reballing of BGA pin array (of the GPU)?
Aug 10, 2008
905 posts
60 upvotes
I did the heat gun method on 2 of those DV9000 for friends. It works for some time and eventually the problem come back.

Unless you can find a professional service to do the re-balling at a reasonable cost, turn the page and buy a new laptop.

Beware of those HP replacement motherboard on ebay, most of them have been reheated with the heat gun method and will not last for long.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
2623 posts
266 upvotes
Winnipeg
My DV2410ca sometimes works, depends on the mood, I find that when I move the LCD screen to a particular angle it would boot up... this was working for around 2 months (since it started having boot problems), until last week, t didn't want to boot up anymore no matter what angle I try for the LCD screen... I even had it running for 3 days non stop hoping the heat will melt the solder and "reball" itself, but no such luck... I'm trying the person from HP who gave me the laptop (it was a replacement laptop for a fire hazard Compaq V2000 that was out of warranty, but they replaced it with a DV2410ca anyway) but she's on Maternity Leave till next year... but I'm not holding my breath, since this was already a replacement....
manteiv wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2010 8:06 am
I did the heat gun method on 2 of those DV9000 for friends. It works for some time and eventually the problem come back.

Unless you can find a professional service to do the re-balling at a reasonable cost, turn the page and buy a new laptop.

Beware of those HP replacement motherboard on ebay, most of them have been reheated with the heat gun method and will not last for long.
× < >