Tags:
None
45 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1599 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
My SO bought this and my first question when I saw it in the cart was why?? Why not just buy fresh berries and then freeze them? Are they not exactly the same thing?

Of course I lost that battle but now I got the call from Costco today so they will be going back and I'll never allow these to be purchased again. After I saw the news release I did a bit of searching and it seems frozen berries are always being recalled or Hep A scare.

No thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9298 posts
10312 upvotes
gqbluez wrote: My SO bought this and my first question when I saw it in the cart was why?? Why not just buy fresh berries and then freeze them? Are they not exactly the same thing?

Of course I lost that battle but now I got the call from Costco today so they will be going back and I'll never allow these to be purchased again. After I saw the news release I did a bit of searching and it seems frozen berries are always being recalled or Hep A scare.

No thank you.
Because it's much more economical, especially at certain periods of the year. Also when they are frozen they can readily be used in smoothies.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
gqbluez wrote: My SO bought this and my first question when I saw it in the cart was why?? Why not just buy fresh berries and then freeze them? Are they not exactly the same thing?
Sure. But frozen berries are much cheaper than fresh even when in season.
Depending on the application (eg ice cream for me) strawberries for example are pre hulled saving me work.
Plus I make frozen drinks all the time with frozen berries. Ice and fresh doesn't work as well. Since it's usually when I'm on the road doing it I can't freeze fresh.

Tl;dr I'm cheap and lazy
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Sorry hoe does hep. A get into the fruit production? Soneone cut there finger?
Feb 18, 2006
932 posts
66 upvotes
More like an employee took a dump and didn't wash hands upon returning to work. Well it's either that, or the water used during the processing of the frozen fruit somehow became contaminated with dirty water.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
Whenever there is one recall, I find it is often expanded. I'm wondering what else is manufactured there and may soon be recalled.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Well I've heard of salmonella and E.coli contamination in foods, but hepatitis??? Leave it to these "organic" nutjobs to get that in there :rolleyes: I guess hepatitis is organic though :lol: That seems great and all, but I'll stick with the pesticides, thanks :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
ES_Revenge wrote: Well I've heard of salmonella and E.coli contamination in foods, but hepatitis??? Leave it to these "organic" nutjobs to get that in there :rolleyes: I guess hepatitis is organic though :lol: That seems great and all, but I'll stick with the pesticides, thanks :)
It can contaminate any food source, organic or not. From time to time you'll hear warnings that people that ate at certain places may have been exposed, etc...generally spread through poor hygiene when food or water is contaminated with feces from an infected person.
Never say never
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
sillysimms wrote: It can contaminate any food source, organic or not.
Yeah I get that, I was just making jokes because of all the people that think "organic" is better, cleaner, etc. and not subject to anything like this. And again it's pretty rare to hear of hepatitis in food products, at least in the first world.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9298 posts
10312 upvotes
I'm still bummed out because they were really consistently delicious. :(

The only other ones that taste similarly good are some home brand Wal-Mart organic berries, but now after all this, I wonder if I shouldn't just pick regular frozen berries again.
Banned
Nov 29, 2015
1424 posts
524 upvotes
Brossard, QC
Costco should know exactly who purchased this brand in their system because only members can buy it. It is one of the advantages to be a member.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
wxw2015 wrote: Costco should know exactly who purchased this brand in their system because only members can buy it. It is one of the advantages to be a member.
Yes, and they call you. I hadn't bought these, but had bought something else that had been recalled and got a telephone call from them.
Never say never
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
sillysimms wrote: Costco now offering free hepatitis vaccines to those impacted by the recall.
Wow damn...
I can't see any other retailer doing this.
'
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
So far, I haven't heard of the recall being expanded, but whenever I see a recall I tend to avoid those products for a while because so often they are expanded to cover things other than the one initially mentioned. Not sure if that will happen here, but this is a bit worrying (hoping this is the only product that was contaminated and there won't be others):

http://welchsfrozenfruits.com/story/nature-touch/
in less than ten short years, won the private label frozen fruit accounts of all major grocery chains across Canada. Nature’s Touch is also a branded player, having secured the North American license to produce Welch’s frozen fruit in 2010 and operating its own brand, Nature’s Touch and Nature’s Touch Organic. Nature’s Touch has a portfolio of over 100 different SKU’s of frozen fruit, blends, smoothie kits, and vegetables, both in the conventional and organics spheres. Most of the frozen fruit consumed in Canada is packaged by Nature’s Touch.
Never say never
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
death_hawk wrote: Wow damn...
I can't see any other retailer doing this.
'
I am sure the tab is being picked up by the berry company because well....it's costco!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
flyingnurse wrote: I am sure the tab is being picked up by the berry company because well....it's costco!
Oh it wouldn't surprise me. But we've seen this type of thing from other retailers and I don't recall ever seeing anyone give out vaccines.
HD did give out free credit monitoring.