Art and Photography

RECALL - Nikon D750 digital SLR cameras manufactured between October 2014 - June 2015 may not function normally

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2017 10:20 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
1919 posts
2394 upvotes
Laval

RECALL - Nikon D750 digital SLR cameras manufactured between October 2014 - June 2015 may not function normally

NIKON D750 SERVICE ADVISORY AS OF JULY 12, 2017.
Technical Service Advisory for users of the Nikon D750 digital SLR camera
Thank you for choosing Nikon for your photographic needs.

In February of 2016, we announced in an update that the shutter in some Nikon D750 digital SLR cameras manufactured between October 2014 through June 2015 may not function normally, sometimes resulting in a shading of a portion of images. Since that time, we have learned that the same issue may affect D750 cameras manufactured from July 2014 through September 2014 and from July 2015 through September 2016.

For those who have already purchased a D750 and would like to have their camera serviced for this issue, free of charge, Nikon service centers will service cameras as indicated below. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Identifying affected D750 cameras
To check whether or not your camera may be one of those affected by this issue, click the Check Your Serial Number button below and enter your D750's serial number as instructed. . If your D750 camera is one of those that may be affected, instructions for obtaining service will be displayed. If your D750 camera is not one of those to which this issue may apply, rest assured that service to your D750 camera as to this issue is not necessary and you may continue using your D750 camera without concern for this issue.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and- ... -d750.html
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2894 posts
260 upvotes
Hamilton
wow thats the first time I've heard of a recall like that. Usually its always for safety related issues with a product. Impressive.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3504 posts
591 upvotes
Alberta
Good to know. I hope that there's a recall on the D5500. Mine has been back to Nikon in Mississauga 3 times already in the last 1 1/2 months for exactly the same problem.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4205 posts
365 upvotes
Markham
I hope they recall d7000 for back focus
Nov 23, 2008
92 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
I sure hope so too. I love my D7000 after 7 years still... and I realize that the firmware on it was still 1.02 instead of 1.05...
I just updated the firmware and I am waiting to see if the back focus issue will be better.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4205 posts
365 upvotes
Markham
babu928 wrote: I sure hope so too. I love my D7000 after 7 years still... and I realize that the firmware on it was still 1.02 instead of 1.05...
I just updated the firmware and I am waiting to see if the back focus issue will be better.
It's hardware issues, don't think firmware can fix it
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1665 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I have a D7000 as well. Are you finding the issue with Nikon branded lenses or 3rd party?
Nov 23, 2008
92 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
craftsman wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 6:39 pm
I have a D7000 as well. Are you finding the issue with Nikon branded lenses or 3rd party?
For landscape shots I've started to use liveview to make sure everything is focused properly.
I tried using the focus-adjustment in the menu but I still find back focusing as an issue for portraiture for nikon lenses.... I don't use 3rd party lenses.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1665 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
babu928 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:52 pm
For landscape shots I've started to use liveview to make sure everything is focused properly.
I tried using the focus-adjustment in the menu but I still find back focusing as an issue for portraiture for nikon lenses.... I don't use 3rd party lenses.
Since it's for a Nikon lens, have you tried sending both the lens and the body to Nikon for adjustment? When my D7000 was new, I had a very similar issue so I started adjusting the focus but was off by -20 or such consistently and even then it wasn't great - happened with all Nikon lenses with some worse than others. Then I dropped off the body to Nikon with a lens that I had issues with to see if they could make heads or tails of it. After a few weeks, they returned the camera and lens to me and the focus was perfect. In addition, all of my Nikon lenses now require no adjustment at all.

My only two complaints about the D7000's focusing are that it still hunts a bit AND it doesn't always precisely focus on the focus point selected - ie. if shooting through a chain link fence with just the centre focus point selected and aimed past the fence, the camera may lock on the fence.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4205 posts
365 upvotes
Markham
craftsman wrote: Since it's for a Nikon lens, have you tried sending both the lens and the body to Nikon for adjustment? When my D7000 was new, I had a very similar issue so I started adjusting the focus but was off by -20 or such consistently and even then it wasn't great - happened with all Nikon lenses with some worse than others. Then I dropped off the body to Nikon with a lens that I had issues with to see if they could make heads or tails of it. After a few weeks, they returned the camera and lens to me and the focus was perfect. In addition, all of my Nikon lenses now require no adjustment at all.

My only two complaints about the D7000's focusing are that it still hunts a bit AND it doesn't always precisely focus on the focus point selected - ie. if shooting through a chain link fence with just the centre focus point selected and aimed past the fence, the camera may lock on the fence.
Just curious for focus issues, you can only ask them to adjust for free if your camera is still under warranty, otherwise you have to pay, is this right?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1665 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
smartie wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 9:21 am
Just curious for focus issues, you can only ask them to adjust for free if your camera is still under warranty, otherwise you have to pay, is this right?

Thanks
In theory, yes. However, since you are in the GTA, you can always drop by and 'ask them for their advice' and see what they say.
Nov 23, 2008
92 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
craftsman wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 2:38 pm
In theory, yes. However, since you are in the GTA, you can always drop by and 'ask them for their advice' and see what they say.
Yeah my D7000 is LONGGGG past its warranty date. I never noticed the back focusing because I only did landscape photography and using a wide angle lens (10-24) everything is in focus when I am working with f8.
Plus... nikon closed its Vancouver center so I am definitely not going to pay to get it serviced/shipping.

I am actually thinking of getting a Fuji xt20 for a huge reduction in weight. Maybe I will wait for the nikon mirrorless to be announced to see what is in store for me (I don't really want to move brands but Fujifilm is cranking out some ultra quality camera/lenses)
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3504 posts
591 upvotes
Alberta
Anyone try this fix for the D7000 back focus issue?

Correcting Back-Focus Issues on a Nikon D7000

Some users of the Nikon D7000 digital SLR camera have experienced back-focusing problems. The camera’s lens tends to focus behind the main subject of a photo. The problem is easy to fix. Follow these steps to correct back-focus issues with your Nikon D7000:

Step 1: Turn the camera on and hit the Info button.

Step 2: Make sure your Auto Focus is set to focus on the center focal point.

Step 3: Go to the Setup Menu. Scroll down and find Auto Focus Fine Tune, which you will see as AF Fine Tune.

Step 4: Make sure the Auto Focus Fine Tune is set to On. Scroll down to Saved Value. This value should be set to 0 to start.

Step 5: Use a test chart to evaluate the focus of the camera.

Step 6: Go back to Saved Value and adjust the number until you have corrected the back focus issue.

When you have finished calibrating the Saved Value number to eliminate the back focus, you need to hit OK or your changes will not be saved. If you go back to the menu, your new settings will not be saved and you will wonder why you are still experiencing back focus issues. To make the process easier, you can use an autofocus test chart. You can find a few free ones available on the web. The charts will help you select the correct adjustments to fix the back focus problem.