None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29778 posts
1188 upvotes
Fernando Po

reCAPTCHA - Hate them!

Am I the only one who really despises these new visual reCAPTCHA for signing up with sites? Nine times out of ten I can't get the images right. They're tiny and blurry and I can't see how anyone over 50 would succeed in getting them right. I've been complaining to the company that produces them, and they can't see the problem. Hope they go out of business.
42 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
I agree with op, I find myself having a hard time with some of them and I'm not over 50. I find myself clicking the refresh button a few times on some of them.
I'm waiting for the one that is oO000oO in a blurred image that looks 20ft away.

Or the ones that are "click all the pies" .... And you're sitting there contemplating "is that a pie? ... Is pizza considered a pie?"
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1357 posts
316 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
I get those wrong sometimes. It is pretty annoying.
May 28, 2012
9923 posts
2093 upvotes
Saskatoon
I understand why they may be necessary, but they need to eliminate the number 0 and the letter O in those stupid things.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8691 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
hagbard wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2015 9:11 am
Am I the only one who really despises these new visual reCAPTCHA for signing up with sites? Nine times out of ten I can't get the images right. They're tiny and blurry and I can't see how anyone over 50 would succeed in getting them right. I've been complaining to the company that produces them, and they can't see the problem. Hope they go out of business.
I have to use a portable electron microscope sometimes to see the image clearly. Either that or I have to ask one of the kids to tell me what to put in the entry field.

I much prefer the captcha that is simply a check box declaring you are not a bot.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8691 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Mars2012 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2015 11:32 am
I understand why they may be necessary, but they need to eliminate the number 0 and the letter O in those stupid things.
Plus the small letter L or the number 1.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4823 posts
2225 upvotes
Toronto
Plus, the creepy CAPTCHAs

I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29778 posts
1188 upvotes
Fernando Po
The last message I sent to them (today) was " Just go bankrupt already."
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2012
1025 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm surprised that no one has already explained this. Those recaptchas help to digitize old books and documents. There are over gazillion words of text that are being scanned by optical character recognition programs and stored into a database all around the world. A small percentage of them confuses the algorithm so they get sent to the recaptcha database where the power of crowd sourcing is used to decipher them. The test words always appear in pairs. There is one that is clear (to verify that you are an intelligent human) and one that is mangled.

The mangled word is sent to several persons and if there is one instance of spelling that is much more popular than other submissions, it gets added to the collection.

So by answering those recathchas, you're helping in the effort to save records of books that will eventually get lost to history when they turn to dust.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4072 posts
1243 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
If true, that's amazingly cool!
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4013 posts
843 upvotes
Sask.
laihama wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2015 9:25 pm
I'm surprised that no one has already explained this. Those recaptchas help to digitize old books and documents. There are over gazillion words of text that are being scanned by optical character recognition programs and stored into a database all around the world. A small percentage of them confuses the algorithm so they get sent to the recaptcha database where the power of crowd sourcing is used to decipher them. The test words always appear in pairs. There is one that is clear (to verify that you are an intelligent human) and one that is mangled.

The mangled word is sent to several persons and if there is one instance of spelling that is much more popular than other submissions, it gets added to the collection.

So by answering those recathchas, you're helping in the effort to save records of books that will eventually get lost to history when they turn to dust.
I didn't know that, how fascinating!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=93605988
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14196 posts
1043 upvotes
laihama wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2015 9:25 pm

I just came into this thread to say that lol.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.