Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
2997 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto

Recaulk bath tub..please assist

Am just removing the old caulking on our 6 year old tub. One of corners was going blackish and want to make sure no leaks or issues.

What is the best caulking to buy? Want to do it today. Will head out to Home Depot.

Also, should I fill up the tub before I caulk?

Thanks!
18 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13867 posts
4423 upvotes
Silicon is the best product to use - do not use acrylic.

Yes you fill the tub with water while you do it - the goal is to have it weighted down. You expand the gaps as far as they can go with the water and then when you're done with the silicon you drain the tub and it compresses. The tub will never get as much weight as it does with the water + you, so the gap will be as big as it gets.
Oct 2, 2007
195 posts
34 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi,
You want to use a silicone bathroom caulk as there are additives to prevent mould and mildew. Choose the colour you need e.g. Clear, white, grey, etc. Mask tub, tile areas beyond where you want the caulk with masking tape. Use nitrile gloves, wet finger or soapy finger ( have not tried) to smooth caulk. Fill tub partially as water weight will pull tub down leading to bigger exposed gap. Good luck!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
2997 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you all!!!

Removed the old caulking and there it was perfectly clean after. Nothing behind. There is like only a 1mm space there and it's filled with grout too.

Bought Ge Silicone II from Home depot.

Will do it tomorrow as I cleaned the are and want it to dry.

I assume I should use masking tape, right?
Oct 14, 2010
776 posts
292 upvotes
+1 For the GE Silicone supreme.

Whatever product you get, look for "mold & mildew resistant " claim on the package. These products are also often claimed as for use in the "Kitchen and Bath".

The anti-mold ability won't last forever though. The GE Silicon Supreme is rated for 10 years.

Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13867 posts
4423 upvotes
cessnabmw wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 6:37 pm
I assume I should use masking tape, right?
Masking tape will make your lines much cleaner. It is "tricks" like that which make discussion forums a great resource.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
2997 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
Another question.

I want to re-caulk the tub drain, faucet and the spout too.

Currently they have clear caulking and I thing they have done only 3/4 of the faucet and the spout. How do I do these two neatly? I can't tape in a circle :)

As for the bath drain, how do I do that one too? There was some mold, so I need to remove the clear caulk, do I need to unscrew the drain or just remove the old caulk, clean and re-caulk (again, how do I do it in a circle)?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5883 posts
639 upvotes
For faucets and drains don't you just use something like plumber's putty? if you use silicone there you will never be able to take it apart again.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
4982 posts
910 upvotes
Whitby
cessnabmw wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 6:37 pm
Removed the old caulking and there it was perfectly clean after. Nothing behind.
Be certain there is no residue, nothing adheres to silicone. Did you wipe the surface with alcohol or some product? Its not enough that it just looks clean, there can't be any trace of the old caulking. If the old caulk wasn't silicone its still a good idea to rub the area well with a scotch pad or similar.
http://forums.finehomebuilding.com/brea ... lk-residue
nomdesplumes:

"I wonder if adding extra electrical outlets is considered an electrical installation?"