• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2017 8:18 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2294 posts
502 upvotes
Newmarket
If you are using masking tape you need to be careful with the timing of tape pulling (I screwed up), the area which was pulled within minutes after applying the caulk was fine, if I waited 15 minutes or so it screwed up the lines. Not sure if I should have waited for the caulk to completely dry but you should check for that.
Oct 14, 2010
779 posts
292 upvotes
cessnabmw wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 4:59 pm
I want to re-caulk the tub drain, faucet and the spout too.

Currently they have clear caulking and I thing they have done only 3/4 of the faucet and the spout.
The parts of the spout and faucet that you see, are just trim pieces to cover the hole in the wall where the pipes pass through. To caulk properly you should remove the trim pieces and make sure the openings in the drywall are caulked . Afterwards replace the trim pieces, and caulk just around the upper 3/4 so that a gap still exists at the bottom. This will divert any water running down the wall, and yet allow any water that does get in, a place to get out. You might find that using clear silicone in a "toothpaste" style tube is the easiest way to apply silicone, since it is easier to control the flow. Apply a very thin bead, and afterwards just a wipe with a finger will smooth it out.

Here is a YouTub video that shows the process for the tub's spout.

Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2402 posts
393 upvotes
Homerhomer wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:31 am
If you are using masking tape you need to be careful with the timing of tape pulling (I screwed up), the area which was pulled within minutes after applying the caulk was fine, if I waited 15 minutes or so it screwed up the lines. Not sure if I should have waited for the caulk to completely dry but you should check for that.
Happened to me as well... I thought it was due to waiting too long as like you the tape that was lifted in few mins was fine but the where I waited like 30 mins were not.

Also, might have something to do with type of caulk and drying time [some are like 30 mins, 3 hrs, 24 hrs, etc.]
May 22, 2003
388 posts
7 upvotes
Milton
Fill the tub with water, stand in it and then caulk the tub.